PDA

View Full Version : kids vegetable patch

honey
20-Jun-07, 09:50
hi folks, im looking for some help. We are just moving into our new house, and have decided the back garden looks perfect for a little vegetable patch.

This would be more for my 7 year old son than anything, and im just looking for some tips on how to get started as i've never really been the gardening type..

any advice will be much appreciated!!! :)

justine
20-Jun-07, 10:59
Make sure that you have a good compost put through the soil...If you want good soil for next year as it is getting a bit late i would suggest potatoes to start with....But you could go with leeks, broccoli, cauli,onions, all of these will start well in the ground.Make sure that you water them daily if it is sunny as veg need alot more water than flowers...Depending on what you are growing you need to decide how big your patch will be......

here is a link that should help you.

good luck
http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_index.shtml

honey
20-Jun-07, 11:07
thanks for that Justine, i was thinking potatoes to begin with, and maybe Carrots. another reason is that my son is a very fussy eater and wont eat veg, so im hoping if he manages to grow a few bits himself he might be tempted to eat them....

justine
20-Jun-07, 13:09
well i have 8 kids that are not too keen on veg and i thought that this wouldbe a good way to help them eat veg...They have watched them grow and i hope that when they are ready they should take to trying them. My son is also a picky eater, dont like the look, wont like the taste.....Need any help give us a shout, i dont profess to being an expert but looking at my own patch i think i have pretty green fingers....Take care and enjoy it...

honey
20-Jun-07, 13:18
well i have 8 kids that are not too keen on veg and i thought that this wouldbe a good way to help them eat veg...They have watched them grow and i hope that when they are ready they should take to trying them. My son is also a picky eater, dont like the look, wont like the taste.....Need any help give us a shout, i dont profess to being an expert but looking at my own patch i think i have pretty green fingers....Take care and enjoy it...

you might regret that very kind offer!! :lol: im sure ill be in here looking for your advice. let me know how you get on with you kids too......

justine
20-Jun-07, 14:01
i never regret a kind offer.....As for the good luck with the kids they will eat them when they are ready, over the last few years i have found trying to force them to eat veg just puts them off, soi let them try what they want when they want to, seems to work better. Take care justine