PDA

View Full Version : Cooking - Who does best in your household?

Sporran
19-Jun-07, 07:30
We've had the DIY debate, so why not one on culinary skills? Who's the best cook in your household?

northener
19-Jun-07, 07:35
It's definitely me!

Ricco
19-Jun-07, 07:35
Ahh, Sporran. Mixing spoons at the ready, apron strings crossed. We are both pretty adept in the kitchen, though I tend to be more experimental. Mrs Ricco made an excellent Spanish omelette and salad last night. My strengths lie more in exotic fare - chillis, curries and Thai food. I also like to do seafood dishes. Mrs R prefers to do vegetarian dishes - not that we are. :D

NickInTheNorth
19-Jun-07, 08:14
without any doubt me! My wife can hardly boil an egg or make toast. Which she freely admits. So I do just about all the cooking, which is fortunate as I find it very relaxing :)

johno
19-Jun-07, 08:53
definately my wife ,i dont even know how to switch on the oven.
but i am pretty good at the diy & fixin the car etc,

henry20
19-Jun-07, 09:01
Definitely me! Hubby only gets to cook if I'm working late. I value my life too much to eat his cooking on a regular basis. He does make a lovely salad though, but his sandwiches leave a lot to be desired! :roll:

Victoria
19-Jun-07, 12:03
Hiya, Mr Victoria does the cooking. I can do it but I'm lazy, he likes doing it and I've got him well trained!!! ;)

I always do the washing up though.

WeeBurd
19-Jun-07, 12:06
MrBurd does all the cooking in our house, for my attempts always end in disaster :roll:.

maidencaithness
19-Jun-07, 12:18
That'll be me the wife hates it when I'm working at night and has to cook for herself and the bairns.

Lolabelle
19-Jun-07, 12:28
Me, Dave does cook occasionally, but I do the majority. I am a chef, and we have owned restaurants together so he is pretty good. I just have to make sure he doesn't get too experimental. There was the mixed herb era, where he stuck mixed herbs in everything. And then there was the worcestershire sauce era, yep, he put it in everything. At the moment the flavour seems to be parmesan cheese. Which is much better than mixed herbs.

helenwyler
19-Jun-07, 12:37
Mr W likes making a mess, and does stirfries, curries, fishcakes...

I do things which need timing, and do roasts, souffles, puddings etc.

One way of avoiding being too competitive, but of course I am the best!;)

NLP
19-Jun-07, 14:21
Mr p is good in the kitchen not that I recall the last time he cooked. so we'll say I'm the better cook.

JimH
19-Jun-07, 16:37
"She who must be obeyed" - without any doubt at all.
I have been lucky all my life to be blessed with good cooks.
Her cakes are much sought after.

dunderheed
19-Jun-07, 17:59
having worked under some of the greatest chefs in britain it has to be me, unfortunately i only do it on my days off

obiron
19-Jun-07, 20:28
would like to say me but hubby does ok. im fine as long as i have a recipe book in front if i have never made it before. like baking cakes though. bake a bit when im feeling stressed.

Sporran
20-Jun-07, 19:24
It's hard to say who's the best cook in our household these days, because three out of the four of us partake on a regular basis. I used to be the chief cook and bottle washer, but my husband has become gradually more domesticated over the years, and cooks more frequently now than he used to. Our 22 year old son quite enjoys cooking, and made a wonderful dinner for us all on Father's Day. He made stuffed mushrooms and baked flounder stuffed with crabmeat. Then we had fresh strawberries and cream. It was all very delicious! :) We just need to encourage our younger son to advance his culinary skills next!

Foxy
20-Jun-07, 22:27
In our house Mr Foxy does most of the cooking as i hate cooking, although i do make a good pan of soup but don't manage even to do that very often. :lol:

cuddlepop
21-Jun-07, 19:59
If I'm working and I've been cooking all day Mr Cp does dinner .
If we're both working then its turn about.
If its Friday and we can afford it,its a take away.
I do all the home baking and Mr Cp does the curries.

Think its pretty fairly split in our house.:D

DarkAngel
22-Jun-07, 10:56
I must admit i aint the best cook in the world..The only things i can cook are mince n tatties and stew..Oh and Fajhitas aswell.. :lol:

Ive never ever liked cooking at all.. I do most of the cooking in our house..Partner works away 6 weeks at a time so i liv eon beans n toast..Which suits me fine! :lol:

golach
22-Jun-07, 14:08
The cooking is shared in our household and the washing up, who ever cooks the other does the washing up.
But I have to say I am as good as Mrs G at cooking, but she has her dishes that she is best at, as I have mine.
But IMO with my own early years in the catering industry that men are the best Cooks:roll:

nanoo
22-Jun-07, 15:22
Hi Victoria, I think you and i went to the same training school. Mr Nanoo does all the cooking in our house as well. He has always finished work at around 4.30pm and i always worked in shops with a 5.30pm finish. Because of this he has always had my meal ready for me when i came home. These days however, we are both retired. Well you know the saying-- If it aint broke don't mend it. Seriously though, he wants to cook and as i can't cook, i'm happy to leave it all to him. I do all the washing up though.:~([disgust]

changilass
22-Jun-07, 16:02
You are totally wrong Golach, whilst I might agree that the best chefs are men (they use every untensil in the house and don't wash up as they go), the best cooks are always female, women can make a meal out of nothing.

And you can take the last bit how you want to :lol:

I will however, give yoiu 10 out of 10 for your soups Golach - they are yummy

Sandra_B
22-Jun-07, 17:18
That would be me. Steve doesn't get a lot of practise at his cooking as it usually takes me four or five years to get over the mess he makes when he attempts to make a meal. I still have nightmares about the mess he made making calzones from scratch in 1995!!

Sporran
23-Jun-07, 01:27
I'm ROFL at that, Sandra! :lol: I have to admit my two chefs chez nous are rather on the messy side, and muggins here ends up with the cleaning! But their cooking's so good that it's worth it! :D