PDA

View Full Version : Flour- lack of!

Fulmar
05-Apr-20, 12:30
Does anyone know why it is still impossible to buy any kind of flour anywhere? Also, baking powder and even dried fruit- shelves empty, zilch. As someone who makes own bread and baking and have done so all my adult life I find it quite strange, especially since fresh bread and bakery items are not in short supply. Where is all the flour going?

Corky Smeek
05-Apr-20, 13:52
Where is all the flour going?

Sorry, I don't have a clue but if you find out can you let me know because I'm pretty sure that's where my bl**dy socks end up.

Kevin Milkins
05-Apr-20, 14:18
Key Store on Bridge Street Wick usually has some.

Pam Bain
05-Apr-20, 17:06
Have you tried J Mackay in Thurso ? If they dont have flour you want they will get it for you.

little miss breezy breeks
05-Apr-20, 17:32
Also the castletown butcher has some.

The Horseman
06-Apr-20, 14:59
Does no one buy a Boll of meal/flour any more?

Fulmar
06-Apr-20, 15:45
You can't even get that!

The Horseman
06-Apr-20, 16:18
You can't even get that!
Yup, I suppose that was a ‘few’ years ago.
A Boll was a Bbbbig bag.
We would get the herring and we had a wooden barrel, so a layer of salt and a layer of herring until we had it filled. Tatties in a pit at the back. Hard times!

sintra307
07-Apr-20, 21:43
it would appear that we get most of our flour from france according to google so maybe they have stopped exporting.

JohnDH22
08-Apr-20, 08:43
Have a look on eBay. Be carefull, I've seen flour priced at £20 a Kg. eBay are trying to take out the spiv profiteers. I did find a mill that would supply a 20kg bag high Canadian content, but their down south and transport to caithness makes the price £60 all in. Maybe a tad high, but understabaly so. I'll let you know how the bread bakes up when the flour arrives.

Fulmar
08-Apr-20, 12:47
Thanks all. I too have managed to order a large bag of flour (not from ebay though) and that is on it's way. Haven't done that in years but used to- from Highland Whole foods who used to deliver up here. I stopped doing it due to difficulty of storing it plus occasional problems with mice in this old house!

Shaggy
09-Apr-20, 10:05
John, you can ask Menzies to get it delivered to their Glasgow depot and then they will forward it up here for i think £9?. It will save you a lot of money as the sender is only sending it to Glasgow.