PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon

Angel-Eyes
24-Jun-05, 19:20
Have you been watching it? Im not a big tennis fan but i do love watching wimbledon! Really hope our fellow scot Andy Murray get thru even if its the semis , its his 1st wimbledon and already further thru than Tim Henman. :lol:

scotsman
24-Jun-05, 19:27
:eek: dont you just love watching the "TALENT" at wimbeldon! i certainly doo. :D cheers scotsman

Angel-Eyes
24-Jun-05, 19:41
:eek: dont you just love watching the "TALENT" at wimbeldon! i certainly doo. :D cheers scotsman

Was that sarcastic scotsman?

scotsman
24-Jun-05, 19:46
:D NO!quite the opposite infact!though as usual our brit talent dosent last long! cheers scots

DrSzin
24-Jun-05, 19:53
Angel-Eyes, I suspect it was a tad lecherous as opposed to sarcastic! ;)

I fair enjoyed watching Andy Murray yesterday. I don't recall there previously being a half-decent Scottish player at Wimbledon -- I guess there must have been one if you go back far enough.

Andy Murray reminded me a bit of Becker in '85, and I think he reminded Becker of Becker too.

Now, consider this...

Wimbledon '85 was just before Live Aid. Maybe we're going to have one of Katarina's great coincidences: history will repeat itself and an unseeded young guy will win it the week before Live 8. Here's hoping :D

Angel-Eyes
24-Jun-05, 20:10
I really hope Andy murray does us SCOTS proud. All em English saying Great British Talent. Scottish talent! C'Mon Andy Murray [lol]

scorrie
24-Jun-05, 23:25
Angel-Eyes, I suspect it was a tad lecherous as opposed to sarcastic! ;)

I fair enjoyed watching Andy Murray yesterday. I don't recall there previously being a half-decent Scottish player at Wimbledon -- I guess there must have been one if you go back far enough.

Andy Murray reminded me a bit of Becker in '85, and I think he reminded Becker of Becker too.

Now, consider this...

Wimbledon '85 was just before Live Aid. Maybe we're going to have one of Katarina's great coincidences: history will repeat itself and an unseeded young guy will win it the week before Live 8. Here's hoping :D

The local bookies are offering 66/1 on Murray going all the way. Pretty mean odds, if he wasn't a Brit he would be about 150/1 in my book.

I think the weight of expectation will start to get to him soon. His coach ridiculously said that Andy could be bigger than Wayne Rooney!! Talk about giving the poor guy a lot to live up to.

He has done well to get this far, I will be pleasantly surprised if he progresses further.

scorrie
26-Jun-05, 10:32
Would you believe it, the "bookie" is right. The Force may have been with Andy but the odds were not. Celtic and Rangers fans please take note for the Champions League this year!!

Andy gave a great account of himself but perhaps all those around him and the media will now take a reality check and stop putting so much pressure of expectation on a young man just starting out on his career. The media were quick enough to stick the knife into Henman after he never followed through on "Their" dream and they passed the torch to Andy in a heartbeat.

Never hurry a Murray!!

Angel-Eyes
26-Jun-05, 20:45
Andy gave a great account of himself but perhaps all those around him and the media will now take a reality check and stop putting so much pressure of expectation on a young man just starting out on his career.

I totally agree, the young lad is only 18 and just starting his career. There was far too much pressure on hime especially by the media.
But well done to Andy Murray tho for giving it all he had. He did us scots proud!

Haha Never hurry a Murray. Maybe next year :lol:

mareng
26-Jun-05, 21:51
Would you believe it, the "bookie" is right. The Force may have been with Andy but the odds were not. Celtic and Rangers fans please take note for the Champions League this year!!

Andy gave a great account of himself but perhaps all those around him and the media will now take a reality check and stop putting so much pressure of expectation on a young man just starting out on his career. The media were quick enough to stick the knife into Henman after he never followed through on "Their" dream and they passed the torch to Andy in a heartbeat.

Never hurry a Murray!!

"................stop putting so much pressure of expectation on a young man........"

Yeah-right! He has to believe that he can win, otherwise......................................... ........... Well- he won't win! Henman has had his day - be glad that the next in line is Scottish ---- Support him as Scottish or British- he will be glad of the backing.

scorrie
26-Jun-05, 22:58
"................stop putting so much pressure of expectation on a young man........"

Yeah-right! He has to believe that he can win, otherwise......................................... ........... Well- he won't win! Henman has had his day - be glad that the next in line is Scottish ---- Support him as Scottish or British- he will be glad of the backing.

Nah, there is a time for TRULY believing in yourself, when you know for yourself that you posses the skills and experience. The rest is American Sports Psychologist Bull!!

And I quote:-

"Andy's just started walking but I see a hunger there, a raw talent, a red hot firebrand ready to explode on the scene. We have got to keep him focused and keep telling him, No Pain No Gain and when the Going gets Tough, the Tough get Going. Nice guys finish last and this guy is going to be a tennis animal that will make John McEnroe look like Ned Flanders. Err, wait, Mrs Murray, I think this guy has filled his diaper!!"

Just for the record, Murray freely admitted that he went into his second round match expecting to lose. It did not prevent him from winning in straight sets. Expectation brings pressure, which is why underdogs sometimes upset the applecart.

ps Woodward told his Lions they were going to do the business against the All Blacks, they really looked inspired by that positive thinking!!

Whitewater
28-Jun-05, 09:44
Scorrie, methinks you are being a tad sarcastic here

ps Woodward told his Lions they were going to do the business against the All Blacks, they really looked inspired by that positive thinking!!

Andy Murray will be fine, he is a good player and has guts, he is not afraid to go for shots and he is not concerned about missing them, he will keep trying. That is the sign of a great player.

Another year on the circuit to get his stamina built up and he will be a force to be reckoned with.

scorrie
28-Jun-05, 12:02
Scorrie, methinks you are being a tad sarcastic here

Andy Murray will be fine, he is a good player and has guts, he is not afraid to go for shots and he is not concerned about missing them, he will keep trying. That is the sign of a great player.

Another year on the circuit to get his stamina built up and he will be a force to be reckoned with.

No sarcasm at all, just a statement showing that all the Psychological waffle in the world does not make up for talent and true belief. Seems like almost every sports star has their own Psychologist nowadys, keeping them "In The Zone" no doubt. Golfers in particular look pathetic to me with their Swing Coach, Fitness Coach, Sports Psychologist and then hanging on their caddy's every word!! Any more hanger's on and there will be a "Stroke Execution Assistant" i.e. someone else will play the shot for them.

I recall Ryder Cup player Paul Casey, referring to "Team Casey" functioning smoothly, which basically meant he was playing well at the time. Sadly "Team Casey" made an ill advised remark about the USA and "Team Casey" has been playing like a puddin ever since. Or should that be playing like "Team Puddin" ever since?

My advice to Andy Murray would be to ignore the nonsense in the papers and keep his entourage to a minimum. Otherwise he will be turned into a media puppet whose every move (on and off court) is controlled by his "Team"

ps British LIONS? Ocelots more like!!

gwen
28-Jun-05, 12:34
I think Murray just needs to adjust to the environment he's finding himself in. In a couple of years time he'll be used to the Wimbledon malarky and will probably shine best then.

Did anyone see the game between Roddick and Coria? I found it quite exciting. Okay, so neither of them are Britts, but they're both good tennis players and were both pulling out all the stops. :)