PDA

View Full Version : Harbourfest

horseman
17-Jun-07, 07:25
Your harbourfest sounds really great. I can imagine the work load every one must have taken on,hope you all have a great time and the weather holds up for you. All the best.:)

Fran
18-Jun-07, 02:09
I wonder how many disabled people will be able to enjoy all the activity at the harbour. i understand disabled cars are to park at the swimming pool but this is a very long walk away for disabled people. Also i was told there is a park and ride bus but none of this has been advertised. does anyone know?

NLP
18-Jun-07, 10:48
Advertisement for this event has been very poor all round. I hope the harbour is cleaned up before then it was a right mess yesterday.

Murdina Bug
18-Jun-07, 13:25
For flip's sake - what's with all the negativity? :eek: The event has been well advertised in my opinion - possibly not the parking etc and maybe that could have been clearer - but if it is an issue for you just pick the phone up and ask them! Look through the events listings on this site and the email and phone number are there for you.

peedie man
18-Jun-07, 19:33
NLP (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?u=6298)
http://forum.caithness.org/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

Advertisement for this event has been very poor all round. I hope the harbour is cleaned up before then it was a right mess yesterday.

I think its been well advertised,its been in the groat,p&j on the org,as for the mess a cargo of wood was shipped out at the weekend and a drop of bark and twigs was left on the quay

rainbow
18-Jun-07, 21:48
There has been a supplement in the P&J today, and I am sure the Courier and Groat will have all the info you need. You must be hibernating if you havent read about the event-Caithness.org has run details of the programme, and the flottila has even been advertised in some national papers- I am sure it will go really well on Saturday, and lets hope there will be good weather.
I have heard that traffic can park in the Bignold Park, or the Glebe (where the County Show traffic goes) - maybe there will be a park and ride???? But I can understand in the interests of safety roads are closed and no traffic is allowed in - there was a Highland Council advert in the Groat and Courier last week advising people of what road were shut and the dates and times they were to be shut. The shiny barriers are ready at the harbour side ready for use, and there are 5 lovely looking yachts in the harbour just now - cant wait to see all the boats on Saturday should be really good.

Kirdon
19-Jun-07, 21:35
Disabled parking is in the medical centre car park with any overflow to go into the swimmingpool carpark. Caithness dial-a-ride will then ferry less abled people to and from the Harbourfest. And as for the negative posts how about offering to go and help out with what you can see is wrong?.

Fran
20-Jun-07, 02:47
Thats good to know that there will be transport for disabled people from the swimming pool car park, havent seen that advertised, so hope people will know this and be able to come to the harbour now.

Tugmistress
20-Jun-07, 07:24
Though i know the sight in wick harbour will be good, personally it will be too crowded for me, but, i shall just head a little further south and take pics of them (weather permitting) as they pass Sarclet or somewhere like that :)

jm.mack
20-Jun-07, 10:56
DOes anybody know what time it starts on Saturday?

angela5
20-Jun-07, 12:07
DOes anybody know what time it starts on Saturday?

10am Heritage boats is open for visitors and the market stalls open. At 11am it's the offical opening.
There is a free mini-bus service running from the Swimming pool/medical centre car park to the harbour for Disabled.

Tugmistress
20-Jun-07, 13:54
The flotilla leaves the harbour sunday morning, 10am *i think*

Venture
20-Jun-07, 22:59
I noticed that there will be parking in the Bignold Park and the Glebe. Where is the Glebe in Wick always thought it was in Thurso.

Torvaig
21-Jun-07, 08:33
I noticed that there will be parking in the Bignold Park and the Glebe. Where is the Glebe in Wick always thought it was in Thurso.

There are Glebes all over Scotland; the word describes ground which belongs (or belonged to in the past) to a parish Church.

Camra
21-Jun-07, 12:58
Its the park used for the county show up by the Parish Church.
Weather looks good too for a a nice walk through the town to the harbour.
Also Bignold Park.

celtchicky
21-Jun-07, 13:01
hospital staff are issued with permits to park so that they can actually get to work without the hassle of findin an available space!!!

Elenna
21-Jun-07, 15:35
Road closures around the harbour, and parking arrangements for during the Harbourfest can be found at http://www.caithness.org/wickharbourfest/index.htm along with the finalised programme of events. A lot of this information is now on the Orgs front page, too! :) Its going to be a brilliant weekend!!

the charlatans
21-Jun-07, 16:42
i'm really looking forward to it myself. i think its great for the town and the harbour.

thank you to the organisers and i wish it a big success. hopefully it will be repeated if it works out.

gonna be some great photos. that is if this fog goes away... grrr to the fog.

grumpyhippo
22-Jun-07, 20:38
I could only get there tonight (busy weekend!!) but at least it was nice and quiet.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0016a-1.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0030a-1.jpg

grumpyhippo
22-Jun-07, 20:40
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0026a.jpg

MileHigh
22-Jun-07, 23:08
Is there more boats to arrive yet I thought there was going to be over 30 boats I only counted about 15 arriving today are they delayed by the fog ?Hope the weather Holds

Moira
22-Jun-07, 23:50
I'm with The Charlatans in hoping the fog goes away.

GrumpyHippo - your photos are fantastic.

Here's to a great weekend for all.

trinkie
23-Jun-07, 08:07
What wonderful photos - my thanks to Grumpyhippo !
Let's have some more please.

I do hope the sun is shining for his special day, but it will be a great day nevertheless.
I wish I could be there - I have to admit to feeling quite a buzz even this far away from it all.

If you are going, and if you are interested in your Caithness Family History/ stories etc, then do pop into the CFHS tent. From there you will learn so much about Your History and you'll be warmly welcomed I have no doubt.

Have fun,
Trinkie

engiebenjy
23-Jun-07, 19:08
I took the kids through this afternoon, and I have to say I thought it was fantastic. Loads of boats you could get on, lots of local stalls. Great atmosphere. The helicopter display was a particular highlight for the small people. Only grump - I was really surprised to find no handrail on the inside edge of the pontoon. It made for hairy stuff walking a 7 and a 4 year old along it when it was busy! Apart from that - well done to the organisers, they obviously put a huge amount of work into it, and judging by the crowds taht were there, it seems to have paid off!

grumpyhippo
23-Jun-07, 19:24
What wonderful photos - my thanks to Grumpyhippo !
Let's have some more please.

Thanks for the kind comments Moira and Trinkie here are some more.........
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0014a.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0015a.jpg

grumpyhippo
23-Jun-07, 19:27
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0032a-1.jpg

wild1
23-Jun-07, 19:39
I thought it was great day and the boats were fantastic it was also good to see so many people out enjoyng themselves well done to everyone involved.

the charlatans
23-Jun-07, 21:16
We had a great time today. The rain didn't dampen anyones spirits, certainly not around the Old Pulteney stall where the spirits were running oot the door faster than the boy could pour them!

Met alot of old pals which was good, half the fun in any event is meeting up and getting 'e crack and there was plenty today.

Favourite bit was just seeing Wick harbour so busy. I think the event organisers have done us proud and thanks to them for pulling it off.

Looking forward to watching the boats go out the bay tomorrow.

More please.

Julia
23-Jun-07, 22:41
I went past the bignold park 'Harbourfest car park' at 3.30pm and there were only 3 cars parked up!

Was the turn-out not as expected as I didn't find parking near the harbour any problem this morning, I hope the rain did not put too many off as we all enjoyed the day!

pennys
23-Jun-07, 23:23
We went down to see the harbourfest. We thought it was very good. Many thanks to all the people who worked must have worked hard to make it all such a success.:)

Mr P Cannop
24-Jun-07, 10:46
did any one get any video clips of the pipe band and other things ??

horseman
24-Jun-07, 11:52
did any one get any video clips of the pipe band and other things ??

I hope they did and I am sure they did:) Look forward to watching it.What a great advert for the area. Wish I could have been there.:D

Mr P Cannop
24-Jun-07, 11:59
also why put it on youtube and caithness.org tv ??