PDA

View Full Version : Wick - the greatest day out!

orkneylass
16-Jun-07, 23:21
...from Orkney. 2 girlies came over on the boat this morning and thanks to a tip off from Trebor the orger, had a fantastic morning with the antique furniture king. He sent us in the directions of a fab bistro in an old hotel where we had a great lunch with absolutely charming service. We then shopped until we dropped at Argos, Homebase, Superdrug, New look and Tesco, picking up loads of bargains and enjoying wonderful service and helpful staff at every turn. Can I say to the lass sweeping up the changing rooms at New Look at 4pm with her lovely smile how fantastic it is to see such motivated staff after what was probably a really long day. And the lady at Tesco's petrol station who gave me a club card and advised me to phone in for the full card as posting off would take ages. And the security guy at Tescos who dealt with charm and humour with me setting off the alarm beacuse my new cashmere sweater (for which I paid only £10!!!!) had not had the tag removed at the till. The till assistant was probably too busy chatting and being friendly!

We had a wonderful day out and a really successful shopping spree - what nice folk there are in Wick!

Moira
16-Jun-07, 23:52
Glad you had a good day here Orkneylass. I spotted you late afternoon in Tescos but was too far away to shout.

Can't quite believe you got a cashmere for a tenner - you must have the true Orkney stuff in your blood!!??

You sound surprised that the Wick folk are nice - I'm surprised! ;) Come back again soon.

horseman
17-Jun-07, 07:14
What a really nice positive post.
That one deserves framing:)

Ricco
17-Jun-07, 07:17
Ahh... this is the stuff that makes the org what it is - a world beater. Such a lovely positive post.

trinkie
17-Jun-07, 08:29
How refreshing !! A wonderful post in a simple honest way.

I'm sure it was your generous attitude that was rewarded in this way by the shop keepers of Wick...... they were happy to serve you.

You'll be welcome back I have no doubt.

Kind regards
Trinkie

orkneylass
17-Jun-07, 19:54
Yep...we plan a twice a year raid. Our Wonderful bistro lunch was at MacKays Hotel - what a fab place and so discreet - looks like an old fashioned place from the outside with no restaurant signage, but beautifully done inside and great food. A+ loos!

helenwyler
17-Jun-07, 22:08
Glad you had such a lovely day orkneylass. Can't wait to come up your way myself - shopping will be the last thing on the list! Eating will be one of the first tho'.:D

I think you must be a very positive enthusiastic person, and so you reap positive attitudes to yourself. I notice that when I'm in a good mood and smile and perhaps 'emit' positive vibes, shop people are more helpful and positive towards me. (Although with 'workmen' in the house this can give the signal that you're a walkover[disgust].)

Today when I was in Waitrose an under 18 (couldn't checkout my wine) rather good- looking male, had trouble weighing my very small piece of ginger (abt 2 miligrams!) and had to get a supervisor etc. He remained stony-faced (embarrassment?) and made no eyecontact throughout my wait (my smile had faded by this time), but then, transaction completed, gave me a winsome smile and said he was sorry to have kept me waiting, madam. Ah, politeness goes a long way.

On the other hand I have witnessed grudge-lined faces waiting at the cashier, almost champing at the bit to experience some hiccup, and then, if their transaction hasn't been problem-free, mutter in self-rightous indignation as they look around conspiratoriallyto see if anybody noticed, and if anybody cares (oops paraphrasing Bob Dylan!).

Many more happy trips!

brew
19-Jun-07, 19:03
You should have let us know you were coming over and we would have got a welcoming party to great you off the ferry.

luskentyre
20-Jun-07, 23:33
What a brilliant post. Really glad you enjoyed your day out!