PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Who Knows Best?

Ricco
16-Jun-07, 21:45
Where do I begin?? I was upstairs cleaning the bathroom and knew that Mrs Ricco was going 'to fill some holes' in the kitchen. (we have had a boiler removed and she was filling the old screw holes). Next thing I hear what sounds like a hammer and chisel going some. Sure 'nuf... when I got downstairs I find that she is removing some old tile that had been behind the ex-boiler.... with my best wood chisel! :eek:

Jeemag_USA
16-Jun-07, 21:58
Oh dear, what a state of affairs. Still at least you know you're in good hands if you need to defrost some pork or change some nappies [lol]

canuck
16-Jun-07, 22:07
I applaud Mrs. R's pragmatic approach!

I see it also working to separate frozen pork chops.

Ricco if you don't want your wood chisel used for what seems like a perfect implement to remove old tiles, then lock it in its own velvet lined tool chest.

PS - Full marks for cleaning the bathroom though.

sam
16-Jun-07, 22:10
At least she showed inititive by trying in the first place, so dont knock her, i know plenty of women who wouldnt even of tried :Razz

WeeBurd
16-Jun-07, 22:11
Where do I begin?? I was upstairs cleaning the bathroom and knew that Mrs Ricco was going 'to fill some holes' in the kitchen. (we have had a boiler removed and she was filling the old screw holes). Next thing I hear what sounds like a hammer and chisel going some. Sure 'nuf... when I got downstairs I find that she is removing some old tile that had been behind the ex-boiler.... with my best wood chisel!

It's not like it says "Best Wood Chisel", on the handle?! :roll: Anyway, if you'd filled in the holes as soon as the boiler was removed, MrsRicco wouldn't have been driven to taking things into her own hands!

Sheesh, you men... [lol]

Jeemag_USA
16-Jun-07, 22:23
I have always found that women are pretty good with tools, its like a natural talent with most of the ones I have met.

Actually I think Ricco should get a wee prize for "Thread Title of the Year" :D

Solus
16-Jun-07, 22:47
Whilst I am all for woman trying to better themselves and advance themselves from their lower status from us men, but I doubt they will ever master the art of DIY, tools or power tools.
They may have mastered the art of washing, ironing and cooking,cleaning, but these are natural things for them to do !
Such things of this nature are best left to the more inteligent specie, men.

Woman + Tools + DIY = Disaster

Men + Tools + DIY = Success

:grin:

( body armour and shield to the ready ) [para]

sam
16-Jun-07, 22:51
[quote=Solus;233392]Whilst I am all for woman trying to better themselves and advance themselves from their lower status from us men, but I doubt they will ever master the art of DIY, tools or power tools.
They may have mastered the art of washing, ironing and cooking,cleaning, but these are natural things for them to do !
Such things of this nature are best left to the more inteligent specie, men.

Woman + Tools + DIY = Disaster

:grin:

If men were so intelligent they wouldnt have to do it themselves lol
and B.T.W. Youre so sexist :Razz

WeeBurd
16-Jun-07, 22:54

Aye, but it's getting the blighters to get off their bums and pick up the tools in the first place, that's the hardest part of DIY!!!:Razz

Hence, MrsRicco, I assume, got fed up, and got stuck in herself [lol]!

sam
16-Jun-07, 22:57
where some men are concerned .....D.I.Y. stand for Destroy It Yourself:Razz

Solus
16-Jun-07, 23:05
I jest, i am all for it, like us when we first started with tools, probably used stuff for jobs it should not have been used for.
Its like anything else with anyone, use, watch, learn is the only way.

But the mans best wood chisel :( you have my sympathy Ricco !

sam
16-Jun-07, 23:09
I jest, i am all for it, like us when we first started with tools, probably used stuff for jobs it should not have been used for.
Its like anything else with anyone, use, watch, learn is the only way.

But the mans best wood chisel :( you have my sympathy Ricco !

ahhh but what means more to him his chisel or his wife :lol:

Moira
16-Jun-07, 23:39
It's not like it says "Best Wood Chisel", on the handle?! :roll: Anyway, if you'd filled in the holes as soon as the boiler was removed, MrsRicco wouldn't have been driven to taking things into her own hands!

Sheesh, you men...

Totally agree WeeBurd. I wrecked a "mega-expensive precision electronics tool" thingy a few years ago. The hedge & the holly bushes here were totally out of control so I did the best I could with the only pruning tool I could find at the time.

The good news is that hubby now does all the gardening - the bad news is that he still doesn't know his way around the kitchen. Ricco - a pm would be appreciated. ;)

Tubthumper
17-Jun-07, 00:19
There is a time, there is a place
Where ladies gain a state of grace
In helping self to super tool
To do job left by idle fool
But for the most part tools should be
Left to guys like you and me
Who can a hammer give to friend
For use as knocker, at right end
Where 'lectric drill will sure come back
Intact and not with casing crack
Where saw will be straight as a die
And not round bendy corner lie
The mower will still smoothly work
No broken switch, no unbalanced jerk

When wife or bidey-in decide
The DIY-bound train to ride
And use the kit belonging master
We know she's heading for disaster
It's all a part of female ploy
To make sure that their live-in boy
Does all the work, sure every ask
Each boring shelf and tiling task
Each wall made square, each paper roll
And every painting skirting call

As burd gets older, learns to do
The hammer, nail, the screw & glue
So badly is the task complete
That man feels bound to rise from seat
And do the job to purpose serve
The fear of burd's disdain reserved
For task not done, that huffy glower
Each dame just wants a perfect bower

She's learnt that now a flash of thigh
That once would motivate her guy
Will fail to stir his manly pride
So after all the girl-ploys tried
Her final scheme, to get her aim
Of lazy idle boyfriend shame
If she wants bonny level shelf
She first must try to do-it-herself
Then man will shift off flabby butt
And do, to keep bad-mouthing shut

Guys, cry for Ricco, the quality toiler
A man betrayed by his old boiler

(or maybe I read the first post wrong...)

Jeemag_USA
17-Jun-07, 02:02
Only a man can turn a two hour job into a 6 month epic of strategical planning and expertise, its an art [lol]

Ricco
17-Jun-07, 07:00
It's not like it says "Best Wood Chisel", on the handle?! Anyway, if you'd filled in the holes as soon as the boiler was removed, MrsRicco wouldn't have been driven to taking things into her own hands!

Sheesh, you men... [lol]

I ROFL.... that's exactly what she said. Och, women... they'll never understand. The telling off I get if I use the hoover to clean the patio. :roll:

Ricco
17-Jun-07, 07:10
There is a time, there is a place
Where ladies gain a state of grace
In helping self to super tool
To do job left by idle fool
But for the most part tools should be
Left to guys like you and me
Who can a hammer give to friend
For use as knocker, at right end
Where 'lectric drill will sure come back
Intact and not with casing crack
Where saw will be straight as a die
And not round bendy corner lie
The mower will still smoothly work
No broken switch, no unbalanced jerk

When wife or bidey-in decide
The DIY-bound train to ride
And use the kit belonging master
We know she's heading for disaster
It's all a part of female ploy
To make sure that their live-in boy
Does all the work, sure every ask
Each boring shelf and tiling task
Each wall made square, each paper roll
And every painting skirting call

As burd gets older, learns to do
The hammer, nail, the screw & glue
So badly is the task complete
That man feels bound to rise from seat
And do the job to purpose serve
The fear of burd's disdain reserved
For task not done, that huffy glower
Each dame just wants a perfect bower

She's learnt that now a flash of thigh
That once would motivate her guy
Will fail to stir his manly pride
So after all the girl-ploys tried
Her final scheme, to get her aim
Of lazy idle boyfriend shame
If she wants bonny level shelf
She first must try to do-it-herself
Then man will shift off flabby butt
And do, to keep bad-mouthing shut

Guys, cry for Ricco, the quality toiler
A man betrayed by his old boiler

(or maybe I read the first post wrong...)

Tubthumper - that was an excellent piece of poetic prose. Well thought out and executed.

For the books... I had been doing insulation in loft, filling & smoothing holes in airing cupboard and then repainting it all week; oh, and getting the old tanks and piping out of the loft, so I don't think Mrs R should have been too disappointed in my efforts. ;)

rockchick
17-Jun-07, 19:38
ROFL...you should have heard the earful Mr. Rockchick got the day he used my rock hammer to pick out and hammer in some nails! He won't do that again.

changilass
17-Jun-07, 19:42
Hubby aint allowed near my tools, I had been cutting down some trees in the garden and went in for a drink, when I came back out 2 mins later he had managed to break the chainsaw, he bought me a new one and knows not to touch it[evil]

Ricco
17-Jun-07, 20:19
Now this is VERY interesting. Perhaps I should change the title of the thread to 'Tools in novices' hands'. Seems to be more sides to this than a dodecahedron. I'll take the chisel into work tomorrow and bring it back to glory. Went to a well known hardware emporium today to look at a new hammer drill - my old .... VERY old, Black & Decker is now making noises reminiscent of failing bearings. Saw a really good Bosch jobbie. Bit of compensation, methinks. :D

Lolabelle
17-Jun-07, 22:01
What about husbands who take chef knives and cut radiator hoses ect for one truck or the other. Or poor wives who find long lost paring knife in the console of ute???
And I am pretty handy with power tools, my dad is a builder and all the girls in our family can hammer, drill and concrete with the best of em. Oh, and I can drive a semi trailer too...:lol:

Oh, and what is a girl to do when said husband steals my tape measure and stanley knife and then doesn't return them????
I buy bright pink tools to keep in the house, hoping to deter the old boy.

rockchick
17-Jun-07, 22:12
What about husbands who take chef knives and cut radiator hoses ect for one truck or the other.

Fate worse than death!! I cherish my perfectly balanced chef's knives and would wreak serious havoc on anyone who abused them so horribly!

Tristan
17-Jun-07, 22:36
Respect the tools/equipment!
(especially if they are not yours)

JAWS
17-Jun-07, 23:02
I'm saying nowt. My Ex used to tell everybody that my idea of DIY was Destroy It Yourself! :eek:

sweetpea
18-Jun-07, 00:50
I'd say good on her! If I had a problem like that i'd want to get it out too, no matter what i used to get it. :)

htwood
18-Jun-07, 02:15
"Tools in novice's hands" is a better title. I can handle a reciprocating saw as well as my hubby can and he knows it LOL
I do mind the time the ex used my best Cuisinart spatula to scrape linoleum tar from the old flooring. Wish he'd used his best wood chisel.

Ricco
18-Jun-07, 11:19
What about husbands who take chef knives and cut radiator hoses ect for one truck or the other.quote]

[quote=rockchick;233529]Fate worse than death!! I cherish my perfectly balanced chef's knives and would wreak serious havoc on anyone who abused them so horribly!

I must confess... I agree with you. I keep finding knives used for cutting plants in the garden (we have 3, no... 4, pairs of secateurs) and I have to keep re-sharpening them. I did find one being used as a screwdriver once - we have countless screw drivers of different types and sizes. :confused

Ricco
18-Jun-07, 11:22
Is there anyway that I am able to change the title of this thread or is it now set in silicon?

Bill Fernie
18-Jun-07, 11:46
Changed the title and moved back - Did you have anything else in mind?

changilass
18-Jun-07, 12:07
Thanks Bill

poppett
18-Jun-07, 16:18
A shoe makes an adequate tool to put up a picture hook, and a vegetable knife can cut, scrape and be used as a screwdriver.......who needs a toolbox full of real tools for real jobs?

Sporran
18-Jun-07, 18:32
My husband's the DIY expert in our household, hands-down. He's just finished making a new computer desk for our younger son, and a few months ago he made a music console for both our sons. He made it to house their electronic keyboards and other musical paraphernalia. When they were little, he made them a big wooden swing set, with several swings, a playhouse and a slide on it. He also made a brand new wooden deck for the house we were living in back then. That's just a few of the things he's made over the years. My father-in-law did building and carpentry for a living, and he taught my husband some of those skills when he was young. For my husband, it's a hobby, and one which he enjoys. I keep telling him he needs to teach our sons, and keep up a family tradition!

Anyway, I'm not afraid to handle a hammer or a screwdriver or two, but I leave the power tools to hubby. I could be dangerous with one of those! :lol:

Billy Boy
18-Jun-07, 21:26
Where do I begin?? I was upstairs cleaning the bathroom and knew that Mrs Ricco was going 'to fill some holes' in the kitchen. (we have had a boiler removed and she was filling the old screw holes). Next thing I hear what sounds like a hammer and chisel going some. Sure 'nuf... when I got downstairs I find that she is removing some old tile that had been behind the ex-boiler.... with my best wood chisel! :eek:

I would say your wife was makeing better use of your best wood chisel on the tiles than you did with it on the rabbit hutch legs lol :Razz

Ricco
19-Jun-07, 07:39
Ah, chisel has been nicely resharpened - back to a true cutting edge. I used Mrs R's electric knife for the rabbit hutch - but shhhh.... keep it a secret. ;)

Billy Boy
19-Jun-07, 17:21
I used Mrs R's electric knife for the rabbit hutch - but shhhh.... keep it a secret.

it look's like you did as well lol :lol:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h288/Ricco_T/P4060192.jpg

j4bberw0ck
19-Jun-07, 22:37
Who's the expert? Apparently, it's SWMBO.

Who does the work? Me.

Simple. Just nod lots and say "Yes dear". :lol::lol: