PDA

View Full Version : Balloons floating in from Holland?

sassylass
16-Jun-07, 21:22
While I understand the fun and learning potential of sending off helium balloons, I wonder about the ones which are never found and are littering the land or sea.

Jeemag_USA
16-Jun-07, 22:02
While I understand the fun and learning potential of sending off helium balloons, I wonder about the ones which are never found and are littering the land or sea.

Ba Humbug! The ones that land in the sea will be washed ashore, with a note attached, soeone will pick them up, the ones on land will be picked up by someone at some point even if its a flat piece of rubber with a note on it. Cheeer up for goodness sake [lol]

C'mon the Belgians!!!!!

sam
16-Jun-07, 22:54

There's a lot worse littering the land and sea lol:confused

connieb19
16-Jun-07, 23:02
There's a lot worse littering the land and sea lol:confusedBet you wouldna be saying that if your pet Chonkabong chocked on a bit of rubber. :eek:

sam
16-Jun-07, 23:03
Bet you wouldna be saying that if your pet Chonkabong chocked on a bit of rubber. :eek:

nah lol ma chonkabong is well trained, it doesna eat crap ;)

Seabird
16-Jun-07, 23:14
sassylass is right balloons can be mistaken for food.
They are eaten by creatures who mistake them for jelly fish with fatal consequences.

sam
16-Jun-07, 23:20
What about all the litter that is strewn about all over the place?

It never ceases to amaze me how many folk throw rubbish out of car windows aswell yet i have never once seen anyone complain about that.

kas
17-Jun-07, 00:23
I do not want to be a stick in the mud at all, but balloons and plastic bags are deadly at sea, especially for some of the worlds endangered species like Turtles. They think they are food swallow them, which then blocks their stomachs and they starve to death. Whilst put in the ground, well its not ideal but there is not many things going to eat it, is there?

Back to the balloon find...
That is a great find and is obviously due to the NE winds that are making it a wee bit chilly right now. Is it a competion? We found a Balloon released on Queens Golden Jubillee in Edinburgh and won £25. Let us know how it goes.

Jeemag_USA
17-Jun-07, 02:59
I do not want to be a stick in the mud at all, but balloons and plastic bags are deadly at sea, especially for some of the worlds endangered species like Turtles. They think they are food swallow them, which then blocks their stomachs and they starve to death. Whilst put in the ground, well its not ideal but there is not many things going to eat it, is there?

That is a great find and is obviously due to the NE winds that are making it a wee bit chilly right now. Is it a competion? We found a Balloon released on Queens Golden Jubillee in Edinburgh and won £25. Let us know how it goes.

Well if a dead Turtle washes up and the post mortem finds a baloon wi a note on it with someones address on it, at least we know who to blame ;) Its those bloomin Belgians again!

(I know...... I took that too far :Razz)

lynne duncan
18-Jun-07, 19:06
we were looking at doing a balloon race for the harbourfest but weren't organised in time however the baloons that we were looking at were biodegradable so hopefully wouldn't have that big an impact on enviroment so going back to the belgian balloon hopefully it was too

Sandra_B
19-Jun-07, 16:06
My 7 year old is doing a school project on sea turtles and why they're becoming endangered. The replies here will be a good addition.

lynne duncan
19-Jun-07, 16:48
http://antiguaisland.blogspot.com/2007_04_02_archive.
above is a good reply for your son
if i remember a programme i watched a while back the waste which floats around in the oceans, whether it is plant matter or human debris, often provides shelter for many creatures ie young turtles or shoals of fish form airborne predators

brew
19-Jun-07, 17:45
That is a great find and is obviously due to the NE winds that are making it a wee bit chilly right now.

NE winds. good for the balloon people, bad for the fishing.

So I was told.

bit random and nothing to do with this post. sorry.