PDA

View Full Version : DO you have a copy of windows?

scotsman
24-Jun-05, 13:07
:D A friend phoned me up from wick last week,she was chuffed coz she just got a new copy of win XP installed on her computer!(whats wrong with that i hear you say!).Well the copy was a false one,and may i add illegal to install.What a lot of internet novices dont understand is,somewhere along the line your going to need to reinstall windows,(reformatting hard-drive)and if you havent got a legitimate copy of windows to do that,so your gonna end up paying someone again to reinstall windows,or use there copy.But microsoft aint stupid!,or should i say there servers aint.They will cotton on your using a pirate copy of windows,and refuse you to download critical updates,patches etc!.Every copy of windows comes with a reference no,if you use that refrence no 5 times with a different isp no,then your gonna get caught!.Atip if your buying a second hand computer,always make sure you get the cd rom with it,that will allow you to reinstall windows.IF you go to get your computer repaired,they will ask you for your windows copy if it needs to be reinstalled,otherwise youll end up being charged 65 quid for a new copy of windows!. :eek: dont buy fakes! cheers scots

Riffman
24-Jun-05, 20:07
The problem does not lie with the CD, no need to get a copy you can get a legal disc off ebay for a tenner inc P&P. The problem is like you said with the activation code. If you try to install it on too many PCs they will stop it working. But despite what Microsoft do, I know people who run the same copy of XP on several machines. There are way you know.... When buying a 2nd hand PC make sure it has the original holographic sticker with the code on it or you wont be able to reinstall windows.

Best method is to get a proper copy from amazon.co.uk

Just my 2p

Riff

scotsman
24-Jun-05, 20:21
:D your so right,you can use any copy of windows to reinstall,but yes,you do need the reference no.And a lot of people out there aint got genuine refrence no,s.im running millenium edition,but i could move up to win xp,though you couldnt go from say win xp back to windows 98,it seems my computer will allow me to upgrade,but never go back!. :eek: chhers scotsman