PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else like wind turbines?

Geo
16-Jun-07, 13:45
For a change we went for a walk last night at the Causewaymire wind farm. Standing directly under one, looking up with the blades spinning is quite intimidating! Thankfully there were no dead birds, not that we saw anyway. I find the turbines quite graceful and much more pleasing to the eye than pylons. All in all it was an interesting experience and one we will repeat, at least until the ones go up at the back of our house. Not so far to go then! :)

NickInTheNorth
16-Jun-07, 14:22
I love 'em. always have since the first one went up close to where I lived way back in about 1980. I find they can add a really dramatic quality to some fairly boring landscapes.

However they need to be sited with care. There is much harm that can be caused to the flora and fauna, not to mention the negative impact that they can have on other landscape areas.

But in principle I'm all for 'em, and not really for their generating capacity useful though that can be.

mareng
16-Jun-07, 19:42
I'm with you both on this one...................

:)

MadPict
16-Jun-07, 19:47
But in principle I'm all for 'em, and not really for their generating capacity useful though that can be.

Eh? Whats the point of them if they don't generate anything? Not exactly "Angels of the North" (which is a ruddy eyesore....)

dozy
16-Jun-07, 20:10
To Mareng ,NickintheNorth and Geo can you answer a question Please .How do you feel when you see the Rainforests of South America and Indonesia burning and the habitat destroyed ?....

Geo
16-Jun-07, 20:17
It's awful.

I feel like I'm walking into something here though.

dozy
16-Jun-07, 20:42
Sorry ,but Yes ! ..You see the Carbon Credits generated by the Turbines are sold on to allow loggers to fell and clear burn the rainforests .So the next time anyone signs up to support these turbine factories just remember that its the planet and animals you love that will pay the price ..They dont seen such a good idea Now !..

Geo
16-Jun-07, 23:12
That is sad if true. It's hard to know what to believe with both sides making strong arguments. For now we live in an imperfect world so there will be problems with any energy solution.

sam
16-Jun-07, 23:16
It doesnt really matter one way or another, because they will put them where they want regardless of what any off us think:confused

Ricco
17-Jun-07, 07:15
I also like them. However, I am beginning to question the carbon cost balance ratio between how much carbon it takes to make them versus how much they save in their active lifetime.

The same for these photovoltaic cells - they use some very nasty chemicals in their manufacture, so are they so green when it comes down to the wire?

NickInTheNorth
17-Jun-07, 18:05
The carbon credits schemes are absolutely stupid. They are wrong in theory and in practise. I hate to see rainforest destroyed.

But that does not alter the simple fact that I positively like the look of wind turbines :)

But some proposals I object to.

MadPict
17-Jun-07, 19:36
Well you can be happy in the knowledge that natural forests of wood can be replaced by forests of steel tubes with a canopy of 3 whirling blades. We'll see what flora and fauna manages to establish itself on the concrete plinths....

orkneylass
17-Jun-07, 19:46
Just because politicians dream up a crazy carbon offsetting scheme, it does not mean that turbines are not both practical and beautiful. i stayed in a caravan in Cornwall last summer right next to a windfarm and i was mesmerized by their beauty.

changilass
17-Jun-07, 19:51
I hate the bliddy things, they are a blot on the landscape, but the wee man loves them. I would willingly build him a wee one in the garden in exchange for getting rid of the real ones.

horseman
18-Jun-07, 09:15
It doesnt really matter one way or another, because they will put them where they want regardless of what any off us think:confused

Thats the truth of it sam.

badger
18-Jun-07, 11:56
Funnily enough I liked the first one I saw, which was one of the very first turbines in Britain - a single one near Stroud. Used to go and just look at it occasionally. Now I know more about them I hate them. They have become a symbol of greed because they are all about money and have precious little to do with saving the environment. If we let them, they will destroy the unique beauty of Caithness as nothing else has done.

They are a bit like the alien species of plants and animals which have been brought into this country in ones and twos, to be kept in a garden or as pets and admired as something unusual. Then they escape, multiply, do endless damage to native species and become a threat to be destroyed where possible but only after doing irreparable damage.

Loafer
19-Jun-07, 21:45
They can certainly improve the look of a boring piece of scenery (the Causewaymire is a prime example), so in some cases I can agree with them. I also have enjoyed several times walking round the aforementioned wind farm and I have yet to see any, never mind the masses that the anti's go on about, of any dead birds of prey.

I do, however, object to them being stuck up willy-nilly all over the countryside to the obvious financial gain of the land owners.

The Loafer

mareng
20-Jun-07, 06:05
Sorry ,but Yes ! ..You see the Carbon Credits generated by the Turbines are sold on to allow loggers to fell and clear burn the rainforests .So the next time anyone signs up to support these turbine factories just remember that its the planet and animals you love that will pay the price ..They dont seen such a good idea Now !..

The turbines still seem like a good idea to me.

If the carbon credit scheme is wrong - then get it changed. Seems like that is the problem, but you want to apply the remedy at the part that affects you - those pesky, unsightly turbines on your doorstep?

honey
20-Jun-07, 09:17
i love seeing the wind turbines... it meas that my 7 1/2 hour journey is about to come to an end and im nearly home!!!

sweep
20-Jun-07, 10:56
honey, home might not be quite the same when the landscape is covered in windfarms. with so many in the planning this is what we'll be facing.

honey
20-Jun-07, 11:04
i didnt realise they were planning more!! i know there was arguements against windfarms earlier this year, but it was down this way (im in Glasgow)....

MadPict
20-Jun-07, 11:46
i love seeing the wind turbines... it meas that my 7 1/2 hour journey is about to come to an end and im nearly home!!!

I prefer the more natural 'signposts' that the journey is almost over, not bŁots on the Łandscape....[disgust]

honey
20-Jun-07, 11:52
sorry, i didnt mean to offend anyone... thats just what the wind turbines mean to me... maybe if i had to see them everyday id feel a little bit different...

badger
20-Jun-07, 13:12
Have a look at the Sites section of this website, honey, and you'll see just how many windfarms they'd like to put in Caithness http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/ . We'll have no trouble knowing we're nearly home but "home" won't ever be the same again.

Green_not_greed
20-Jun-07, 13:22
Modern wind turbines are splendid examples of ivory towers.
"Each member [of society] must be ever attentive to his social surroundings - he must avoid shutting himself up in his own peculiar character as a philosopher in his ivory tower."

-H. L. Bergson's Laughter, 1911

Developers and landowners seem to be the ones shut away from reality, closed to the world around them and bent on greed and gain. And they certainly aren't attentive to their surroundings!

honey
20-Jun-07, 13:24
OMG, i didnt realise there were so many plans!! :eek:

SNOWDOG
20-Jun-07, 15:23
sorry, i didnt mean to offend anyone... thats just what the wind turbines mean to me... maybe if i had to see them everyday id feel a little bit different...

Honey, i dont think you have offended anyone, this is a public forum and you shouldnt feel that you should apologise for having a personal opinion that may differ from others! :)

honey
20-Jun-07, 15:32
Thanks snowdog, i just felt i had made light of a situation that people obviosuly feel strongly about.

seeing the wind turbines on the way home gets by 7 year old all exited, as he knows hes nearly at grannies, and that excitement rubs off on me... same as the broken fence posts near helmsdale do as well.. and i dont think that will change.. i dont think id leak to see them all over the place though...

the charlatans
21-Jun-07, 16:38
in answer to the original question.

I love windturbines. i think they are graceful, impressive and intimidating at the same time. much better looking than Longannet or Peterhead powerstations.

plus coming up on the train on Sunday night they waved at me to welcome me home and tell me my bum would be numb no longer.

not going into the debate about the background of them cos you all have your opinions and i have mine. ;)

dozy
22-Jun-07, 10:08
For all the turbine lovers .Why dont you ask PHA sorry NDA who own the demolished Viewfirth site to erect a turbine there .Its a win, win for the tower huggers .The PHA and the NDA are looking for a sustainable revenue for the site and we can all see just how huge these steell eyesores are .Lets go for a 100m one (to the hub),can anyone with the knowledge do a photo mockup just to see ????