PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of dew claw removal?

Lolabelle
16-Jun-07, 09:55
I had never given much thought to tail docking or dew claw removal before and then had a bit of a look around via google. My dogs have thier dew claws removed as day old puppies. But Kruger somehow only had one done and after numerous infections and tearing we had him operated on to remove it. It was quite a big operation and long recovery. I think that dew claw removing is nesessary so is maybe tail docking along the same lines in some breeds?
What do you reckon about dew claw removal?

porshiepoo
16-Jun-07, 11:03
I had never given much thought to tail docking or dew claw removal before and then had a bit of a look around via google. My dogs have thier dew claws removed as day old puppies. But Kruger somehow only had one done and after numerous infections and tearing we had him operated on to remove it. It was quite a big operation and long recovery. I think that dew claw removing is nesessary so is maybe tail docking along the same lines in some breeds?
What do you reckon about dew claw removal?

I bred a litter of Great Danes once and I had their dew claws removed at 3 days old by the vet. Funny, I've never looked at it the same way I look at tail docking either :eek:. I guess it's the same though. Why do we remove what they'r born with purely for asthetic reasons?????????
I have GSD's with their dew claws intact and we've never had problems with them even though one has a double dew claw on the back.