PDA

View Full Version : Help an idiot please???

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:30
How on earth do I manage to get my quotes in a nice neat white box??? I have tried a few things now - still no luck!

Idiot proof explanations please!!! [lol]

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:32
How on earth do I manage to get my quotes in a nice neat white box??? I have tried a few things now - still no luck!

do you mean like this

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:37

In the top right corner of your post there is a "quote" button press it . Then in the reply box you will see [/quote] at the end of the last message. go below that a couple of lines and start writing your reply.
Mind you I dont know how some of the rest of them manage to get 2or 3 or 4 quotes in?

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:41

In the top right corner of your post there is a "quote" button press it . Then in the reply box you will see at the end of the last message. go below that a couple of lines and start writing your reply.
Mind you I dont know how some of the rest of them manage to get 2or 3 or 4 quotes in?[/quote]

I tried that im sure!!

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:42
yes see - doesnt work!!

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:49
yes see - doesnt work!!

mmm are you fiddling with the actual wording??

champagnebaby
24-Jun-05, 00:50
On the original thread click quote in the right hand corner of the message you want to quote. Look at messages you've posted and you'll see there are 3 buttons - quote, delete and edit whereas on everyone elses you only see quote

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:51
Ok hit the quote button in this box, then reply keeping as far away from anything you see in the reply box :lol:

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:52
Ok hit the quote button in this box, then reply keeping as far away from anything you see in the reply box :lol:

Like this? (Bet it doesnt work either!!) :lol:

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:54
grrrrrrr!!!!! [mad]

champagnebaby
24-Jun-05, 00:54
Have you tried clicking preview before posting to check if it works's - that'll save you having to actually post it to see if it works.

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:56
No I hadnt but I will now!

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:57
Have you tried clicking preview before posting to check if it works's - that'll save you having to actually post it to see if it works.

Maybe if you share the bubbly it will all be clearer, if not at least more fun to try ;)

champagnebaby
24-Jun-05, 00:57
Tis handy :D

Any joy yet???

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 00:58

Yes Yes Yes Yes I did it!!!

champagnebaby
24-Jun-05, 00:59

Aww well done you :D ;)

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 01:00
Tis handy :D

Any joy yet???

It is very handy especially if you want to quote someone who has posted a few posts before otherwise people might not understand what you are talking about.

I noticed I had to uncheck the "Disable BBCode in this post" box!!

jjc
24-Jun-05, 01:02
Hey,

When you quote something you need to enclose the text in
[quote]...[/quote]

So:

[quote]Hello there[/quote]

Hello there

If you want to include the name of the person that you are quoting it is

[quote="girnigoe"]How on earth[/quote]

How on earth

Whatever you put between the speech-marks is followed by " wrote:" in the final post... so you can play around with it:

[quote="Somebody who wanted help with quotes"]How on earth[/quote]

How on earth

One thing to watch out for is that if you type your draft in Word and then cut&paste into your post, make sure you have "smart quotes" turned off. "Smart quotes" automatically changes 'straight' quotes (") to 'curved' quotes (“ ”) and these don't work when you are trying to write BBCode.

Hope that helps...

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 01:05
Errrmm :eek:

Thanks very much for the help jjc but im afraid im lost!!!

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 01:07

Time to introduce you to Krug Salmanazar :lol: :evil

jjc
24-Jun-05, 01:08
Thanks very much for the help jjc but im afraid im lost!!!
My fault... I should have said - the ones marked "Code:" give you what I typed to get whatever follows.

girnigoe
24-Jun-05, 01:09

I beg your pardon??? :eek:

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 01:12

I beg your pardon??? :eek:

Champagnebaby will explain [mad]

champagnebaby
24-Jun-05, 03:30
Krug's a champagne innit?

And i think a salmanazar is a big bottle of champagne that's equal to 12 normal bottles. i know you get a Jeroboam, Magnum, Balthazar, Nebuchadnezar there's other ones too but i canna mind them. Nebuchadnezar's equal to 20 bottles and i'm no sure what the rest are???

katarina
24-Jun-05, 09:58

In the top right corner of your post there is a "quote" button press it . Then in the reply box you will see at the end of the last message. go below that a couple of lines and start writing your reply.
Mind you I dont know how some of the rest of them manage to get 2or 3 or 4 quotes in?[/quote]

With a lot of faffing about. Takes time and effort unless they've found a better way than me. I save the first [quote= name] paste it at the beginning of whatever i want to appear, then save the last opne, and paste it at the end. I tried to just type it in myself, but it didn't work.

rhaughey
24-Jun-05, 11:11

And i think a salmanazar is a big bottle of champagne that's equal to 12 normal bottles. i know you get a Jeroboam, Magnum, Balthazar, Nebuchadnezar there's other ones too but i canna mind them. Nebuchadnezar's equal to 20 bottles and i'm no sure what the rest are???

Shame on you for asking yes it is and one of the finest champagnes there is. Sal. equals 12 bottle size. So it looks like he/she simply meant lets crack open the bubbly.

Bobinovich
24-Jun-05, 22:32

A quick search indicates...

Magnum = 1.5 litres = 2 standard bottles
Jeroboam = 3 litres = 4 standard bottles
Rehoboam = 4.5 litres = 6 standard bottles
Methuselah = 6 litres = 8 standard bottles
Salmanazar = 9 litres = 12 standard bottles
Balthazar = 12 litres = 16 standard bottles
Nebuchadnezzar = 15 litres = 20 standard bottles

Tha's a lorra lorra champers!

champagnebaby
25-Jun-05, 03:38
I thought a magnum was more than that.

What size is it the winners of the grand prix get?