PDA

View Full Version : Self-catering - your loves and hates

orkneylass
15-Jun-07, 22:25
Hi - Planning to develop a tiny cottage as a self-catering holiday let for 2 - 3 people, not going to cater for kids under 5. What do you like to see in a self-catering holiday home and what are your pet hates?

footie chick
15-Jun-07, 22:54
Pet hates is not parking nearby I have a nearly 3 year old[evil] whats wrong with under 5's they're less hastle than 18 year olds surely?

souperman
15-Jun-07, 23:19
I`m guessing the no under 5`s rule is more a safety thing than anything else, childlocks on cupboards, stairgates, electric socket covers etc etc. Pet hates....cheap crappy pots, pans and cutlery. Good luck with the business.

EDDIE
15-Jun-07, 23:26
Hi - Planning to develop a tiny cottage as a self-catering holiday let for 2 - 3 people, not going to cater for kids under 5. What do you like to see in a self-catering holiday home and what are your pet hates?

Well im a smoker so i would say i hate non smoking cottages with a passion but other than that its nice to go to a cottage and its clean and everything is working properly but we went to to stay a self catering cabin which had a oustide balcony so u could sit out in at night thats were i smoked rather than inside and it had a dishwasher that was a real boost you put the dishwasher on before u left in the morning and all the dish were done when u come back

helenwyler
16-Jun-07, 00:28
[cheap crappy pots, pans and cutlery. Good luck with the business.[/quote]

and ancient damp bedding with hideous floral pattern.

Love little welcoming personal touch like flowers. Visitors' book is fun too - you can pick up some useful tips.

Got to pick up husband now - see if he can open the back door! [lol]

crayola
16-Jun-07, 01:14
Good things:

Dishwasher;
Good microwave;
Good quality mattresses;
Good coffee maker;
Good pots and pans, wok;
Decent size tv and good reception;
Spotless;
Warm, dry, draught free;
Good view;
Covered south facing balcony with table & chairs;
Web site with online booking by credit/debit card.

Bad things:

Kitsch decor, esp kitsch jacuzzi instead of decent shower;
Damp with inadequate heating;
Metered electricity and gas, esp coin operated;
Inadequate combi boiler;
No microwave or cheap microwave;
Tiny kitchen sink;
Cheap crappy pots, pans and cutlery (thanks souperman);
Silly house rules and too much attention from owner who lives nearby.

Victoria
16-Jun-07, 01:34
Dog friendly!

crayola
16-Jun-07, 01:40
Dog friendly!Dog free. :)

I love dogs but I don't have one and I don't want to spend a week in a place with dog hairs.

Victoria
16-Jun-07, 01:43
Dog free. :)

I love dogs but I don't have one and I don't want to spend a week in a place with dog hairs.

Haha! ok I take your point. I admit I have become desensitised by the ginger hairyness that adorns my black clothes!

crayola
16-Jun-07, 01:56
Haha! ok I take your point. I admit I have become desensitised by the ginger hairyness that adorns my black clothes!There's an easy solution to that problem.

Get a black dog!

sassylass
16-Jun-07, 06:30
It's nice to have quality furnishings (i.e. mattresses, dishes etc.) and plenty of mugs and tidying up supplies, and a corkscrew. It's maddening to stay in a place where you feel everything is a worn out discard from the owner's home.

And crayola's comment about silly house rules is spot on. We once booked a place where the fine print revealed that shoes were not allowed indoors, bar soap was not allowed, shower was to be wiped down after each use, placemats were to be used on table, lawn was not to be walked upon only paths, etc., and the owner stayed nearby watching through binoculars. Ask me if we'll ever go back there...go on, ask me!

j4bberw0ck
16-Jun-07, 08:42
Haha! ok I take your point. I admit I have become desensitised by the ginger hairyness that adorns my black clothes!

My condolences. You've clearly been visited by Chris Evans, the Official National Migraine. An unpleasant prospect at the best of times.....:lol:

Broadband internet connexion.
Decent water pressure so the shower can be relied upon to flog you back to life in the morning.
Plenty space in shower enclosure or even a wet room http://www.teddies.be/Forum/images/smiles/icon_brow2.gif

Sandra_B
16-Jun-07, 08:54
If you want to know what to do, go to Torran Cottage. We stayed there last year, it's perfection!!

Off-putting things include...

Dirt, dust, spiders, your dog hair all over everything, damp, cold, grubby kitchen complete with chipped cracked dishes and a collection of odd silverware, banged up pots and pans, ovenware with burnt on food still on them, some kind of science experiment in the tea pot (great gobs of mould), cobwebs, a ice encrusted freezer, dim lighting, tonnes of tourist bumf that landslide of the coffee table everytime anyone walks by it. Coin operated electric meters are a great idea, but please let people know in advance especially if they're coming in late from a foreign country.

This is all from one place we stayed at in North Berwick. First day of holiday saw me shopping for cleaning supplies in a local supermarket and scrubbing the place from top to bottom. Every evening huge spiders started to appear as soon as it got dark. It was cold and damp. Even after scrubbing the place we weren't happy about eating anything from the nasty little kitchen so ate most of our meals out (kind of against the point of self catering). The place was so awful we left 3 days early and went to a hotel. No refund but the landlady did tell us the last people left early too, she didn't know why...I think I might....

badger
16-Jun-07, 11:55
Keep it simple and easy to clean, i.e. wood floors rather than carpet. Warm and cosy is important. Good quality basic kitchen equipment. Washing machine and dryer as you can't rely on washing lines with our weather. A porch where people can discard muddy boots, wet coats etc. before coming into main house. Definitely non-smoking (sorry Eddie) as one smoker for a week will leave a smell that lasts for ages. Single beds that can be pushed together to accommodate friends rather than just lovers :). There are lots of singles around these days. Pity about the under-5's as I would think they're probably less destructive than older children. Probably not pets. Don't think broadband is necessary - surely people want to get away from it on holiday? But you definitely need a good website for bookings.

Do hope you get nice visitors as I'm sure there are as many horror stories about awful holidaymakers as there are about awful cottages. Make sure you have insurance! Good luck and let us know when you're up and running as I'd love a stay on Orkney (if that's where it is).

Angela
16-Jun-07, 12:37
Just totted up the number -have stayed in at least 11 self-catering places in this country over the years, but gave up quite a while ago. We used to choose cottages that sounded really nice, and certainly weren't the cheapest, but varied from "not too bad really I suppose" to absolutely appalling...went home early....
Eventually, decided to stick to B&Bs and hotels in the UK, and self-cater abroad, where the accommodation was always reliable- perhaps we've just been lucky. Owners don't always allow for the weather here though, I've found.

What I would like to find:
Simple, easy to clean furnishings, throroughly cleaned between visitors. It's disgusting to find the last incumbents' rubbish in the kitchen bin, their old fat in the grill pan, to mention just two of the least repulsive things!
Comfy beds, with good (clean!) mattresses and pillows that aren't boulders.
Bedside lights.
A full-length mirror.
Good heating & a decent hot shower. Damp cottages are horrible.
A washer/dryer. A dishwasher is a nice bonus if there's space.
A microwave & toaster.
Crockery doesn't need to be expensive, but it's nice if it does match!
Those essential little things like a can opener & corkscrew.
A few wee touches like a good, appropriate picture and a welcoming vase of flowers are nice I think, but I hate feeling the place has been furnished with unwanted second-hand furniture and bric a brac just shoved in.
Basic info with contact details for doctor/dentist etc, and some up to date tourist info, but not piles of unsorted bumf.
A visitors book, but not too many House Rules!

I've just got very disillusioned with too many bad experiences, but hopefully things are improving.
Orkneylass, I'm sure your cottage will be lovely, and I'd really like to visit Orkney soon as well! :D

EDDIE
16-Jun-07, 12:58
Keep it simple and easy to clean, i.e. wood floors rather than carpet. Warm and cosy is important. Good quality basic kitchen equipment. Washing machine and dryer as you can't rely on washing lines with our weather. A porch where people can discard muddy boots, wet coats etc. before coming into main house. Definitely non-smoking (sorry Eddie) as one smoker for a week will leave a smell that lasts for ages. Single beds that can be pushed together to accommodate friends rather than just lovers :). There are lots of singles around these days. Pity about the under-5's as I would think they're probably less destructive than older children. Probably not pets. Don't think broadband is necessary - surely people want to get away from it on holiday? But you definitely need a good website for bookings.

Do hope you get nice visitors as I'm sure there are as many horror stories about awful holidaymakers as there are about awful cottages. Make sure you have insurance! Good luck and let us know when you're up and running as I'd love a stay on Orkney (if that's where it is).

Ok i agree with you on the smoking but i do think majority of smokers will stay in a non smoking cottage providing there is like a patio outside were there is some form of covering in event rain and thats a good happy meduim that accomdates every one
But i think if your running a self catering cottage its all about giving of a good service so u get repeat business from people that have stayed there before and word of mouth goes along way as well.

cuddlepop
16-Jun-07, 15:16
I like self catering accommodation to be comfortable and clean.
There's nothing worse than feeling you cant relax and have to be "careful" around all there little nick nacks.Cream coloured carpet is a nightmare to keep clean so go for something dark.
An area for wet clothing would be great and somewhere to store your bikes thats undercover.An inside clothes dryer is a must.
I love an open fire or wood burning stove,thats something we look for.It makes a place cosy even on the wettest of days.

Be friendly but dont be "over friendly" makes people uncomfortable.
Dont check up on the guests every single day.
Clean bed linnen and towels provided.Nothing worse than having to take them
Good store cupboard.(salt,pepper,gravy granuals etc)
All inclusive electric or coal.

Imagine your the guest and you'll be fine:D
Mr Cp smokes and is quiet happy to go outside to light up.

Good luck

NLP
16-Jun-07, 17:09
Pet hate
no children, do we leave the wee one in the car [disgust]

Ricco
16-Jun-07, 21:35
My pet hate when renting a self catering establishment is to arrive and find that there are no shops nearby. That then puts the kybosh on the whole issue. :confused

Moira
16-Jun-07, 22:09
Orkneylass - this establishment has it all pretty well sussed. http://www.newtonmore.com/crubenbeg/Default.htm

We stayed there several times and could not wait to revisit. Only downside would be the lack of a dishwasher but even that would not put me off. Check it out & email the owners - they will be delighted to answer your questions.

Good luck :)

orkneylass
16-Jun-07, 23:09
Hi everyone and thanks so much for your replies - really helpful! We also have a lot of experience of self-catering properties and have used what we know.

We are thinking of no under 5's for safety reasons and because it is a pretty small 1 bedroom cottage - so we do not plan to supply costs, high chairs, baby baths etc.

We are planning the following

Smoke and pet free - yes
Radiator central heating plus trendy wall mounted electric fire in sitting room
Dishwasher
Washer-dryer in large utility/ drying room which is also the entrance porch - great for wet and muddy gear
Full cooker, fridge freezer and PANASONIC microwave!
Orthopedic beds - full sized twin singles that zip and link into a superking. Bed settee in lounge but only for 1 person to use.
All new. modern furniture but not Argos's cheapest of everything
Well equipped kitchen with good quality pans, Knives etc
Large shower cubicle with good quality shower in bathroom
TV and Radio/CD player
Practical floorcoverings and good quality all white bedlinen
Everything colour coordinated but designed for practicality and easy cleaning. There will not be loads of ornaments and knick Knacks, but decor will include local high quality photographs which will be available for sale.
Can't do the covered outside porch but basic garden furniture
Parking and own garden
Covered storage for bikes/motorbikes in our garage next door if required.
At hand to help but no nosiness or imposition!
Useful local information but well organised in a folder
High standards of cleanliness
Basic food and cleaning essentials supplied.
Visitors book

Most people that visit Orkney are mature, often couples, interested in birdwatching, diving, biking etc so we hope we have got in right.

Any further comments very welcome.

crayola
17-Jun-07, 00:32
Don't forget the wok. ;)

Ok, I'm joking, I usually bring my own but I often don't use it because the cooker is a cheap electric one that an expert couldn't control.

I forgot about cleanliness last night. This is all important.

Sandra_B
17-Jun-07, 07:17
Should have added this to my post

http://www.torrancottage.co.uk/

We're staying again this year, we can't wait!!

anneoctober
17-Jun-07, 18:12
Orkney is a fabulous place to relax. We (a mature couple?) fell under it's charm three years ago. Your plans sound spot on to me ,the website idea is essential I'd say and to book online is one less hassle taken out of your holiday planning! I wish you plenty peedie golden oldies to your establishment.

changilass
17-Jun-07, 18:21
Don't forget the bottle opener and corkscrew, was delighted to find these supplied on our recent holiday.

When looking for accommodation our requirements were that the property had to have an enclosed garden for our newfies, they enjoyed the holiday as much as the rest of us.

squidge
17-Jun-07, 18:33
WE have holidayed in self catering for most of my life, Ilike allt he things metioned int he previous posts but a cooker that works would be on my list too. and posts suitable for the size of the house - with a onebedroomed cottage you dont want a massive casserole but you might like a good frying pan.

Finally, home made biscuits or bread on arrival, flowers and a list of where you can get good meat, fish and shellfish. If you have to do a deal with local suppliers to ensure that your guests get a good service - maybe a delivery service if shops are far away then do it.

Goodluck

orkneylass
17-Jun-07, 19:51
Hi again

We plan to market online and promote it directly to people we think will be interested through things like chat forums - birdwatchers, divers, motorbikers....orgers....

As for the cooker - planning an electric cooker with ceramic hob and seperate oven and grill.

Will supply lots of local information including where best to buy local meat, cheese and shellfish.

Peediewife

rockchick
17-Jun-07, 21:53
Your list sounds good, reasonable, yet flexible accommodation (thinking of the possibilities using the bed settee for an older child to sleep)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned above, but I really appreciated in the one self-catered facility that offered it, was a "welcome basket" that was waiting for us on the table when we arrived...it was only some slices of cake I think, but it was a really nice touch. That first cuppa tea (after a long drive) with the cake put a very nice flavour on the rest of the holiday.

Just a suggestion! You don't say how close you are to your cottage, so maybe this won't be practical for you.

Errogie
17-Jun-07, 22:20
We provide a small bottle of whisky (could be Highland Park) shortbread and a laid out tea tray with fresh flowers for new arrivals and offer to provide a baby sitting service if parents want to get out for an evening on their own.

orkneylass
17-Jun-07, 23:08
These are great suggestions. the Aberdeen ferry would see people arriving at 11.30pm so some sort of welcome snack would be a good idea.

horseman
18-Jun-07, 09:00
So there you are orkneylass,all you have to do is equip your 'tiny cottage' up to 'ritz' standards and you'v cracked it.:D

felis silvestris
18-Jun-07, 20:34
PLEASE put a hook on the bathroom door. We have stayed in self-catering for nearly twenty odd years and only ONE cottage had a place to hang clothes in the bathroom. I know it is a silly little thing but it really bugs me!!!!

northener
18-Jun-07, 21:58
Little welcome pack of milk, bread, breakfast cereals and fruit, saves having to leg it out before you've even unpacked.

OS maps essential.

highlander
18-Jun-07, 22:56
Will you give orgers discount? lol ok im just being cheeky but when you are up and going let us know, would love to go to orkney for a week.

orkneylass
19-Jun-07, 17:09
...Maybe we could give orgers a discount. It will also be very cheap outside the main season, and available for short breaks, so people able to jump on the ferry in October or April etc when there is a good weather forecast will get a really good deal!

orkneylass
19-Jun-07, 17:11
How I agree - hooks and a shelf for toiletries, toothbrushes etc! Bought a job lot of 12 x 4 double hooks on pine backing on ebay for our new house and have only managed to find places for 6 of them, so the cottage will be hook heaven!