PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Wanted / Services Offered Forum Section NEW SECTION NOW SET UP

richardj
15-Dec-19, 20:11
Just a suggestion, how about adding a Jobs Wanted / Services Offered Forum Section. I am sure the forum members would find this helpful if people could also list services offered.

It does happen occasionally. A separate section where you could advertise what is being offered - gardening, plumbing, computer support etc would be useful for people looking to sell their services or gain employment.

I do realise that there is a business listing section, I am suggesting a place where individuals rather than established business could promote their skills and services and people could advertise work on offer - in a private capacity.

aqua
22-Dec-19, 15:43
I think this is a good suggestion.

Bill Fernie
27-Dec-19, 20:52
A Jobs Wanted section has been suggested several times over the years. The problem is that employers do not look for staff that way. They expect people looking for work to respond to their vacancy ads. We do not want to create more work to continually review those type of ads.

For - "gardening, plumbing, computer support etc would be useful for people looking to sell their services or gain employment". Basically this is self employment and people already advertise their services in our business section www.caithness-business.co.uk and anyone can add a page for free by completing the from at https://caithness-business.co.uk/submit_details.php
There is complete mix of long established business to part -time to new businesses - many of whom do not have premises but work from home.
So a new section would merely be repeating what is already there meaning anyone looking for a service has to look in two places rather than one.

The business page also allows links at any time to a new website or facebook page that can have updates.

We also offer to add any business articles for free that can link to the business page but few people seem to send us anything about their business offerings.

We have always tried to help Caithness businesses by offering as many services as possible.

Alrock
27-Dec-19, 21:06
The problem is that employers do not look for staff that way. They expect people looking for work to respond to their vacancy ads.

I wish somebody would tell the Job Centre that.

BrianW
27-Dec-19, 22:40
The problem with the Business section is the News spambot keeps pushing any local business adverts down. Any chance of shifting the Postspamnewsbotmachine to its own "News" thread?

Brian :)

Shaggy
27-Dec-19, 22:59
The problem is that employers do not look for staff that way. They expect people looking for work to respond to their vacancy ads.

A bit like people applying for their jobs expecting a reply from them but it never happens....

Kevin Milkins
27-Dec-19, 23:28
I think a new job section would be great, Yossa had the right idea in the 1980,'s
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiJmZ-n79bmAhWEh1wKHW-bDDQQwqsBMAB6BAgLEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaO bZJN9zDtA&usg=AOvVaw0tYPnPW-ZjEi2UsQPdkPjl

At least he tried.

aqua
28-Dec-19, 02:35
Bill, I’m sorry to write this, but your arguments are very wrong!

Take a look at all the December posts in the business section you linked to. There isn’t a single post that’s remotely relevant to Richardj’s suggestion! Who in their right mind would look in the business section for a school kid offering grass cutting services or a student offering informal computing skills or fixing a PC?

We (or at least I) are thinking of skills and community building, not setting up formal businesses. Community spirit is in short measure these days, surely our community website shouldn’t forbid it!

i don’t think I’m exaggerating (much) here. Surely this site should be more like Gumtree than a Highlands and Islands Enterprise corporate website.

aqua
31-Dec-19, 17:15
A better title might be Community Services Offered/Wanted.

I have some services I could offer for free or in exchange.

Rosie 2000
31-Dec-19, 18:09
Excellent idea!

Shaggy
31-Dec-19, 18:43
i have plenty of experience to offer in exchange for some work needing doing that i can't do myself. I would rather it be that way than putting a price on a job and getting undercut by the local neds who only want beer money

Bill Fernie
31-Dec-19, 23:26
Bill, I’m sorry to write this, but your arguments are very wrong!

Take a look at all the December posts in the business section you linked to. There isn’t a single post that’s remotely relevant to Richardj’s suggestion! Who in their right mind would look in the business section for a school kid offering grass cutting services or a student offering informal computing skills or fixing a PC?

We (or at least I) are thinking of skills and community building, not setting up formal businesses. Community spirit is in short measure these days, surely our community website shouldn’t forbid it!

i don’t think I’m exaggerating (much) here. Surely this site should be more like Gumtree than a Highlands and Islands Enterprise corporate website.

You are referring to the business section in the forum but I m referring to the business pages www.caithness-business.co.uk

I have asked employers in the past if they would look for employees on a forum and they say definitely not.

If someone is self employed full time or part time would it not be better to take free page in the business pages. The business section in the forum can be used in several ways but not many do.

If it is community spirit and not paid for business then by all means post in the general section.

aqua
02-Jan-20, 19:32
I am NOT referring to the business section on the forum!

Anyway, both business sections are equally irrelevant to the ideas we are discussing in this forum.

I am NOT talking about employers looking for employees!

It would be better if you read and digest all the posts and respond accordingly.

Bill Fernie
02-Jan-20, 22:38
Ok - We will discuss where best to set up a new section under - Community Services Offered/Wanted

I am thinking to removed the Volunteering Opportunities section as it is hardly used and replace it with this new one.

Apologies if I seemed too argumentative - just trying to tease out if it will work or not but if we don't try it we will never know.

I will also think how best to promote the new section via the front page and Facebook etc to get it started.

richardj
04-Jan-20, 10:20
Bill, I was not thinking of free services or community based activities, simply a forum location where people could put up the skills they offer or skills wanted.

While many people do not like the idea of a the gig economy, it does exist (although probably not in Caithness) and the basis of this is to offer services or respond to jobs on offer that may be very short term, or temporary. People usually have a range of skills, some may be relevant to a full-time job, other skills less so, and these specific skills could be used to earn more money while meeting individuals or companies short term requirements.

For some people who have a job, they may also want to develop other opportunities and develop a business on a part-time basis, either to earn additional money or to try out a business idea within the local area before fully committing to a new business.

For local employers and businesses they may find an area where they can offer short term contracts or by the job activities useful, without the need to employee someone permanently. This could range from a specific technical skill (database development, web development) or on a manual level.

I am glad you are now considering the suggestion.

aqua
04-Jan-20, 18:06
Thanks Bill! Apologies for being so direct, but I think this is a really good idea and I feared it would be brushed aside.

Thanks richardj! You’ve clearly thought about everything in more detail than I have. I think the new forum could cover everything from business incubation to skills development and community service. I have some skills I could offer for free or for a nominal fee. I would like to obtain experience and develop my skills in this area, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable charging anything near commercial rates.

Kevin Milkins
05-Jan-20, 11:50
I don't venture far off the main forums, but if I spotted someone advertising a set of skills that I may require I am more likely to engage them at that point than go looking for them.

orkneycadian
05-Jan-20, 12:39
I know of someone in Wick looking for a job as a traffic warden. Any vacancies or demand for this kind of service?

Shaggy
05-Jan-20, 13:13
I know of someone looking for a job as a forum troll...there's plenty of demand but no vacancies for the org job at the moment...

Birons
05-Jan-20, 13:42
A new local traffic warden has been appointed and starts work later this month.

orkneycadian
05-Jan-20, 16:19
Excellent news. I hope they pay particular attention to parking within a couple of feet of the stop lines at the lights at Bridge Street and the Thurso Street / Francis Street junctions.

Aside from that, this Jobs Wanted section seems to work well. No sooner is an enquiry made, and the post is filled. ;)

richardj
05-Jan-20, 17:22
orkneycadian, you have a wicked sense of humour, you have given me a couple of laughs today (honestly) and it is refreshing from the crap I read on twitter.

Bill Fernie
12-Jan-20, 23:39
New section now set up now set up
http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?23-Jobs-Wanted-Services-Offered-Commercial-and-Community

It replaces the Volunteering Opportunities that was hardly being used. Any post for that heading can now go in the general section or sent to me for the Community pages as many often are already.

richardj
13-Jan-20, 20:38
Bill, thanks, I hope it becomes a success for the forum and people using it.

Niall Fernie
30-Jan-20, 13:14
The post office thread comes to mind. Use it or lose it. 17 days and 1 post. Not really the huge demand that was portrayed earlier in this thread.

richardj
31-Jan-20, 21:48
Niall, not many people use this forum any longer - from memory this started with the last SNP fuelled independence debates that got a bit heated on this forum and you kicked a lot of the more colourful members off the forum. You were correct on ensuring the discussion was moderate and personal attacks did not happen, you could have done this with a suspension rather than stopping the debate and removing members. So now the debate is on twitter or facebook.

If you look at all your forum sections most are no longer used. The first forum post on the Services offered section was interesting and potentially useful to me, and possible others. So your threat to remove it is disappointing.

sheilapl
01-Feb-20, 09:19
The problem with the Business section is the News spambot keeps pushing any local business adverts down. Any chance of shifting the Postspamnewsbotmachine to its own "News" thread?

Brian :)

Very true and good point Brain I have tried putting something on and a day later its vanished

Garnet
16-Feb-20, 15:55
A better title might be Community Services Offered/Wanted.

I have some services I could offer for free or in exchange.

Hello Aqua, may I enquire as to what services you have/supply. Can you contact me through the PM messaging site. Kind regards.