PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate your back door!

helenwyler
15-Jun-07, 10:52
Hello everyone. Joined Caithness.org to help research McDonald & Robertson ancestors and recently discovered your general messageboard.

I can't unlock my back door grrrrr!:mad: Have tried pushing, lifting, jiggling gently, applying as much brute force as I can muster, but the lock won't budge:~(. I've a full load in the washing machine and another waiting and can't hang it out. I watch enviously as my cat exits through the cat flap alarmed at my banging, rattling and curses...

All able-bodied neighbours and hubby at work, no help to be had. It's my day off and I was going to attempt to get the garden straight...lol!

Anyway, enjoy your back door today.

Torvaig
15-Jun-07, 11:01
Get the cat to hand out the washing!;) Hope you get rescued soon....

Angela
15-Jun-07, 11:10
That must be so frustrating! [evil]

Have you tried whacking the lock with a heavy metal object? This worked for my son-in-law when he'd managed to accidentally lock us all in!

Failing that -how about climbing out through a window??? Well. maybe not.

Like you, helen, I joined the Org for help with family history research, but then I too discovered the other boards...hope you enjoy posting on them! :D

*Martin*
15-Jun-07, 11:25
Have you tried some WD40??

helenwyler
15-Jun-07, 11:34
That must be so frustrating! [evil]

Have you tried whacking the lock with a heavy metal object? This worked for my son-in-law when he'd managed to accidentally lock us all in!

Failing that -how about climbing out through a window??? Well. maybe not.

Like you, helen, I joined the Org for help with family history research, but then I too discovered the other boards...hope you enjoy posting on them! :D
Have just whacked it several times as hard as I dare with my meat tenderiser Angela, still won't budge!

I have managed an ungainly jump through a window at the expense of several flower pots previously neatly arranged below!! Nearly managed to land on my cat - seemingly deaf and a heavy sleeper. Next task is to try to get the washing basket to land beyond the flowerpots without spilling contents on the ground lol!

helenwyler
15-Jun-07, 11:39

No, but I did put some olive oil on the key. I'll have a rooot around for some WD40 (this means another window leap lol ). Do you mean spray it through the keyhole Martin?

*Martin*
15-Jun-07, 14:25
Yeah, My old car had a tempormental lock and sometimes it refused to let me in! WD40 In the lock barrel and it was sorted

helenwyler
15-Jun-07, 15:45
Couldn't find WD40, but a very old can of GT85 (smells yummy!) didn't do the trick. Rain is lashing down on my washing so it's feet up with a cuppa and hang it all!

orkneylass
15-Jun-07, 17:24
I guess you must live in a terraced house - how frustrating and what a picture. Gorgeous sunshine in Orkney today but coming over to Wick, supershopping tomorrow and expecting rain!

helenwyler
15-Jun-07, 19:22
I guess you must live in a terraced house - how frustrating and what a picture. Gorgeous sunshine in Orkney today but coming over to Wick, supershopping tomorrow and expecting rain!

Its a Victorian semi but side entrance blocked by extension so no thoroughfare. Might need to pick your brains about a good place to stay orkneylass as hubby needs to come up to visit a project in Orkney and I want to look at old ancestral haunts in Caithness. If we can persuade my mother-in-law to house-sit so our teenage daughter can't have a party while we're gone, that is lol!

orkneylass
15-Jun-07, 21:52
Its a Victorian semi but side entrance blocked by extension so no thoroughfare. Might need to pick your brains about a good place to stay orkneylass as hubby needs to come up to visit a project in Orkney and I want to look at old ancestral haunts in Caithness. If we can persuade my mother-in-law to house-sit so our teenage daughter can't have a party while we're gone, that is lol!

If you are coming up to Orkney and let me know what kind of accommodation you would like, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

wifie
20-Jun-07, 10:52
Did you get it sorted? What worked? Hate an unsolved mystery!

helenwyler
20-Jun-07, 11:18
Sorry to leave you dangling wifie!

Where was I? Oh yes, well MrW couldn't open it when he got home. Quite glad about that in a way because I'd have felt pretty mortified if he had.:eek:
So next morning we got a locksmith out and he couldn't open it either - so £77 later we now have a brand new lock which operates smoothly and silently:D. Door however is still old and in need of a lick of paint!

honey
20-Jun-07, 11:20

this reminds me of a funny story.. happened a few weeks ago

im staying with my inlaws just now(get new house tomorrow!!!! :D)

anyways, there is a church across the road, and one wednesday morning, the minister was trying to get in the gate at the front, but the lock wouldnt budge.. he tried everything he could, then came across to ask my father in law for help, out came the WD40 - didnt work - lots of banging with different heavy tools - didnt work - the poor minister was starting to get into a panic, when the caretaker of the church pulled up to inform them that she had changed the locks when he had been away on holiday!!! :lol:

wifie
20-Jun-07, 15:53
Gee what a price but at least you are up and running now!