PDA

View Full Version : Bank Charges! Grrrrr

Liz
14-Jun-07, 18:35
I am so annoyed as Lloyds TSB are charging £30.94 for going over my agreed overdraft byt £4.96 for one day!!!

I called them and put my case but they were not for shifting and said the charges will stand. Even threatening to move to another bank didn't budge them!

It makes me so annoyed as they sent me a letter advising that my account was overdrawn but if it was brought back into balance within 24 hours of the date of the letter then there would be no charge. Bit late when I got the letter about three days later!!!

I argued this point and said a courtesy phone call would have cost them less than a letter and I could have put a fiver into my account!!!

I have looked at a website www.penaltycharges.co.uk giving advice on how to reclaim bank charges but the people on there are claiming thousands so don't know if it's worth it for £30!

Probably all banks would be the same so not sure whether it is worth the hassle of moving my account?

poppett
14-Jun-07, 18:56
Think that all Banks have their own rules and people who save well and keep their accounts in credit are not their best customers, they need folk to be overdrawn so they can charge them megabucks.

So far.......(and this could change any time the Bank upsets me with unfair charges or allowing direct debitors to help themselves whenever......) the best is the Alliance and Leicester Premier Account, with a savings account linked to the current account, online, telephone or branch transactions, and a free £500 overdraft for the first year, then low interest rate on the same amount thereafter. Interest is paid monthly on the current account, then any overdraft charges are deducted the following month on an agreed date, so their charges won`t make you further overdrawn and incur more charges.

Thurso Branch are a friendly, bunch, and no I don`t work there, but like to give credit where credit is cue.....(no pun intended)

Best of luck

j4bberw0ck
14-Jun-07, 19:04
I am so annoyed as Lloyds TSB are charging £30.94 for going over my agreed overdraft byt £4.96 for one day!!!

In France, that would have had you on a criminal charge; it's treated as theft
if you go overdrawn or exceed your limit. Strangely, French bank customers don't seem to have a problem with French bank charges.

I wonder if it's because they don't go overdrawn or exceed their overdraft limits :lol::lol: ?

Alli
14-Jun-07, 19:09
If it's the first time you have gone overdrawn most banks will refund the charge, if you go and see them. My daughter went overdrawn by 14 pence, and she's with the same bank as you Liz. They refunded the charge as she had never been overdrawn before.

Worth a try to go and see them if it is the first time Liz.

Liz
14-Jun-07, 19:20
Thanks everyone.

Alli I must confess this is the second time I have gone overdrawn :roll: and on the other occasion they did refund the charges.

Both occasions though were for such small amounts and for such a short period of time that it annoys me incurring these charges.

Apparently it is against the law for Banks to profit from overdraft charges but I haven't looked fully into this.

Ah well should be glad I don't live in France!!!:lol:

Tony
14-Jun-07, 21:08
Join RBS as more friendly and helpful and arrange authorised overdraft should mishaps occur.:D

j4bberw0ck
14-Jun-07, 21:10
Join RBS as more friendly and helpful

Sorry, I was just overcome with a horrendous fit of coughing and spluttering :lol::lol:

caroline
14-Jun-07, 21:11
Stopped my LLoyd's TSB bank account six years ago. Where I stay it was a very unfriendly bank with an obnoxious bank manager. Am very happy with the BOS bank. My son is with LLoyd's TSB and was on holiday all last week and the very day he went away I was taking calls from their call centre in India different person each time sometimes 4 times a day and everytime I told them he was on holiday. One call I got really angry and told them was it not simple enough to mark on their computer that this person was on holiday and would return on Wednesday. Needless to say the calls kept comig in this is just a nuisance value as the account was not overdrawn also find it very inconvenient that no bank nowadays allows you to phone the branches direct it is so impersonal banking these days and they want you to go onto internet banking which I will never do for security reasons.

Jeemag_USA
14-Jun-07, 22:47
Join RBS as more friendly and helpful and arrange authorised overdraft should mishaps occur.:D

I will second that. And I have an even deeper respect for RBS now since I moved to the states, the banks over here are totally not people friendly. I have been with RBS as long as I can remember and will admit to being in a lot of trouble in my time with them, but all you need do is call your branch, they are the most helpful bank I have ever experienced. If anyone from the Thurso Branch is reading, you guys are the greatest!!!

Dusty
15-Jun-07, 11:34
The bank I currently use is the Royal Bank of Scotland but that is about to change shortly.
I have had a history of problems with them:
Money not transferred between my accounts as requested.
Payment for traveller's cheques taken from the wrong account which caused it to go overdrawn and then a penalty advice letter being sent out.
I requested funds to be sent to a particular account in order to pay for a purchase four days in advance of having to make the payment and was left very embarrassed when they were not there when accessed.
It took me in excess of six months to obtain my house deeds after my mortgage was paid off and then only after repeated telephone requests, written requests and personal visits. When I finaly recieved the paperwork they had the cheek to offer me a repository service and advised me of the charges!
My son and I were made to feel like criminals when we tried to set up and account for him to transfer money to in order to pay for a car. Having been with them for so long, I was annoyed that they still demanded identification.
I wrote to them recently complaining about the new and increased level of charges on Credit and Debit cards if used abroad and recieved a very condescending letter in reply.
I expect to have transferred my business to the Nationwide Building Society by this weekend and will be writing to the Royal Bank of Scotland again to explain my actions.

I should probably have made the move to another provider before now, but had been with them for 40+ years and was just too lazy.

Jeemag_USA
15-Jun-07, 13:06
The bank I currently use is the Royal Bank of Scotland but that is about to change shortly.
I have had a history of problems with them:
Money not transferred between my accounts as requested.
Payment for traveller's cheques taken from the wrong account which caused it to go overdrawn and then a penalty advice letter being sent out.
I requested funds to be sent to a particular account in order to pay for a purchase four days in advance of having to make the payment and was left very embarrassed when they were not there when accessed.
It took me in excess of six months to obtain my house deeds after my mortgage was paid off and then only after repeated telephone requests, written requests and personal visits. When I finaly recieved the paperwork they had the cheek to offer me a repository service and advised me of the charges!
My son and I were made to feel like criminals when we tried to set up and account for him to transfer money to in order to pay for a car. Having been with them for so long, I was annoyed that they still demanded identification.
I wrote to them recently complaining about the new and increased level of charges on Credit and Debit cards if used abroad and recieved a very condescending letter in reply.
I expect to have transferred my business to the Nationwide Building Society by this weekend and will be writing to the Royal Bank of Scotland again to explain my actions.

I should probably have made the move to another provider before now, but had been with them for 40+ years and was just too lazy.

I bet that wasn't the Thurso Branch though ;)