PDA

View Full Version : Spoof E-Mail from Paypal

johnl
23-Jun-05, 17:57
I recieved an E-Mail that claimed to come from Paypal that I had autherised a payment & wanting information regarding my account.Paypal themseves have said the E-Mail did not come from them & are investigating.So anyone who has a Paypal account beware.I never passed my details as I had an idea it was fake. :confused

Donnie
23-Jun-05, 18:02
These are fairly common. Paypal will never ask you to confirm your details via email. Infact not just paypal, it is also very common with Internet Banking. If you receive any emails asking to view a website or send some details I would always have a closer look at the email as more often than not it will be a fake.

Mad Martigan
23-Jun-05, 19:30
Donnies right, these fake/spoof emails are widespread, especially for paypal & ebay.
Sending out fakes like this to gain personal info is called Phishing.
Do not send any username/passwords back to these guys or your accounts will be hijacked. :evil

Angel-Eyes
23-Jun-05, 20:34
Thanx for letting me know that Johnl ive got a paypal account coz i buy alot of stuff from Ebay. Cheers :D

Brizer2k2
24-Jun-05, 00:03
a few others constantly on the go are from banks / building societies and also another from admin / support / hostmaster / postmaster @ your isp .co.uk saying your account is suspended for sending large amounts of junk mail or non-payment and asking you to click on a link or click on a zip attachment.

A lot of these emails to the untrained eye look genuine and the number of people who click on the link or try to open zip attachments are scary.

The problem is that PC's are so easy to get a hold of and so cheap these days anyone can afford one and the PC shop are not concerned if you know what you are doing or not................they just want the till chinging away!!!

The number of people who have no idea what equipment they have, have no anti-spam / virus, adware / spyware software also is very scary.

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:14
Thanx for letting me know that Johnl ive got a paypal account coz i buy alot of stuff from Ebay. Cheers :D

Also be careful because there is a really official looking one allegiately from Ebay as well, which is a fake.

Fran
24-Jun-05, 01:21
[mad] thanks for informing us about this John. I received this e-mail too and I am not registered with them. I replied asking them to cancel all my information as I have never registered with them.

neepnipper
24-Jun-05, 07:58
If I get any spoof e-mails that appear to have come from e-bay I forward them to: spoof@ebay.co.uk and they investigate them. :)