PDA

View Full Version : Madeleine McCann

the nomad
14-Jun-07, 16:54
I read on the news that a letter has been sent ststing where Wee Maddies body can be found. The Nomad is not one for god and the church but just this once I pray it's a hoax and she is still safe and well.

I can't even imagine the anguish the parents are feeling. It's so sad and yet things like this continue to happen.....WHY!!!!!!

Ash
14-Jun-07, 17:09
hey it really is horrific, ive been following the case the whole time, praying she is going to be found. :~(

percy toboggan
14-Jun-07, 18:40
Whatever the oucome of this I hope it is swift now.
The poor child has been taken away from her loving parents and at that age a week is like a year.
May those responsible for whatever has happened to her be brought to justice someday. She has slipped off the front pages yet remains in the minds of most British people. Thousands of kids go missing every year but not many are snatched from their beds. The rights and wrongs of her care do not matter.
Nobody deserves what her parents are enduring. Nobody.

karia
14-Jun-07, 19:27
Whatever the oucome of this I hope it is swift now.
The poor child has been taken away from her loving parents and at that age a week is like a year.
May those responsible for whatever has happened to her be brought to justice someday. She has slipped off the front pages yet remains in the minds of most British people. Thousands of kids go missing every year but not many are snatched from their beds. The rights and wrongs of her care do not matter.
Nobody deserves what her parents are enduring. Nobody.

Totally agree with you percy, these poor guys deserve some kind of conclusion to the situation.

I hope that if the outcome is bad they will not be further villified by press and public who have so far perpetrated some unspeakable cruelties upon them.

Karia

percy toboggan
14-Jun-07, 20:04
Totally agree with you percy, these poor guys deserve some kind of conclusion to the situation.

I hope that if the outcome is bad they will not be further villified by press and public who have so far perpetrated some unspeakable cruelties upon them.

Karia

If the outcome is the worst, I hope the couple will soon dis-engage themselves from the media which they have used to excellent effect. They should not linger in the unwanted spotlight for long, otherwise they will attract more negative attention. Grief needs to be private, not public.I hope they find their child but the chances recede every day.

karia
14-Jun-07, 20:43
If the outcome is the worst, I hope the couple will soon dis-engage themselves from the media which they have used to excellent effect. They should not linger in the unwanted spotlight for long, otherwise they will attract more negative attention. Grief needs to be private, not public.I hope they find their child but the chances recede every day.

Indeed they have used the media very well, they understand the way it works
and have sometimes looked quite callous in their pursuit of it.

Whatever the outcome, the media will extract it's price for the coverage.
If a body is found there will be maximum exposure and little privacy for the family in their grief.

Should Madelaine be found alive, she and her parents will be questioned, endlessly about her 'ordeal' and she will forever be the little girl who....
...? With all of the awful repercussions that will have on what is left of her childhood, then adult life.

The media will have 'pay back' in full, dressed up as concern.

It is a ghoulish and mercenary beast and harsh as it sounds, I'm not sure that they care which way it goes..so long as they get their 'story'[disgust]

Karia

NickInTheNorth
14-Jun-07, 20:54
Hi Karia - you have either had some involvement with the media, or worked in it, or are just very perceptive.

Whichever you are I believe absolutely spot on with your assessment of the media and their use of people.

I truly hope the McCann's misery can be ended soon, but fear it will end badly. And I know they will not be allowed to grieve in peace.

My thoughts are still with wee Madeleine

karia
14-Jun-07, 21:06
Hi Nick

I had enough training in journalism to realise I could not pursue broken families for a doorstep interview.

I know some great folk in the industry who could cast their personal view of humanity aside for a story.[disgust]

Don't understand it at all, I'm pleased to say!

Happy to fail on that one.

Karia

NickInTheNorth
14-Jun-07, 21:12
Then you have my greatest respect.

There are, unfortunately, far too many journalists that believe they must achieve "stories" no matter. It totally devalues the profession.

Having once decided to be kind to journalists in need of a feel good story, I have learnt the unfeeling persistence of the tabloid journalist from first hand...

JAWS
15-Jun-07, 00:42
If you insist on riding a tiger then you can hardly complain if it tries to eat you when you decide to get off.

j4bberw0ck
15-Jun-07, 08:06
Do you mean that the McCanns left their daughter alone as a dare, or deliberately to test how long they could leave her before she was abducted?

That's the only logical way to view your analogy of "riding tigers" and I doubt that's really the way you feel, if I may hazard a guess.

Having once decided to be kind to journalists in need of a feel good story,

Perhaps they thought you were patronising them and decided to take you down a peg or two? :lol::lol:

the nomad
15-Jun-07, 08:50
If you insist on riding a tiger then you can hardly complain if it tries to eat you when you decide to get off.

In your defence I think your comment has come over very badly but not with the malice that others may think.

I think I understand your point, whatever the outcome and it saddens me to now think it isn't good, the media will now turn on the parents for leaving Maddie. It's not open to debate on journalist has alreaday accused them of engineering the whole thing.

Victoria
15-Jun-07, 08:54
I think Jaws meant that the 'Tiger' is the media.

j4bberw0ck
15-Jun-07, 09:12

He might have done, at that. I stand corrected....... :Razz

Angela
15-Jun-07, 09:25

I certainly took that as his meaning as well.

The McCanns have no doubt felt -at a time of huge personal distress and vulnerability - that they've been using the media to keep Madeleine in the public eye.

Sadly, the fact is that they've allowed the media to use them.

Blazing Sporrans
15-Jun-07, 17:17
Interesting analogy Jaws - probably very accurate. But I'd question why we allow Murdoch and the rest of the red top owners to become 'Tigers'. It's a very simple process - we don't buy their thinly disguised toilet paper and we don't empower them. Unfortunately too many knuckle-draggers seem to prefer to read about Paris Hilton's prison uniform, Britney not wearing knickers or the fifteen minutes of fame of a young Cliff Maxford client who's slept with fifteen professional footballers in the same night.....[disgust]

scorrie
15-Jun-07, 22:39
Interesting analogy Jaws - probably very accurate. But I'd question why we allow Murdoch and the rest of the red top owners to become 'Tigers'. It's a very simple process - we don't buy their thinly disguised toilet paper and we don't empower them. Unfortunately too many knuckle-draggers seem to prefer to read about Paris Hilton's prison uniform, Britney not wearing knickers or the fifteen minutes of fame of a young Cliff Maxford client who's slept with fifteen professional footballers in the same night.....[disgust]

Very true. You get the press you deserve. If you are willing to pay for badly written crap, then you will get more of the same each day.

Society, as a whole, is not interested in the real World. We are a Nation obsessed with fame and fortune, only too happy to believe that money will make you happy and that shiny trinkets, big houses and cars are what success is all about. Supermodels, Celebs, AcTORS and POPstars are what we all aspire to be like.

The standards are slipping. On a recent quiz show, the contestant gave the answer to a question about newspapers as "The Daily Sun", a somewhat puzzled presenter replied "Ehh, we'll accept that"

I remember a Spitting Image sketch from a while back about the board game "Scruples", it was about a special "Fleet Street Edition" of the game. The camera pulled back to reveal an empty box. That says it all about our "Meedya"

percy toboggan
15-Jun-07, 23:14
Very true. You get the press you deserve. If you are willing to pay for badly written crap, then you will get more of the same each day.

Society, as a whole, is not interested in the real World. We are a Nation obsessed with fame and fortune, only too happy to believe that money will make you happy and that shiny trinkets, big houses and cars are what success is all about. Supermodels, Celebs, AcTORS and POPstars are what we all aspire to be like.

"
You speak about a sizeable portion of the populace but.... Please refrain from tarring everyone with the same brush. When you prepare your posts, first read them back and carefully consider what you are saying otherwise, before too long, people will no longer bother to read them.

I do not recognise any of the traits in your final paragraph when it comes to me, and mine, and for that matter many of the members of this forum.

Not everyone is a vaccuous airhead with excrement for brains.

JAWS
16-Jun-07, 01:16
Do you mean that the McCanns left their daughter alone as a dare, or deliberately to test how long they could leave her before she was abducted?

That's the only logical way to view your analogy of "riding tigers" and I doubt that's really the way you feel, if I may hazard a guess.

Perhaps they thought you were patronising them and decided to take you down a peg or two? :lol::lol:No that is not what I either said or meant. I was refering to the way they have been quite willing to manipulate the Media and Press for their own ends yet complain bitterly when the Media and Press do something which does not suit them.

Where on earth did the "Dare" or "Test" come from? There is nothing either in my post or in any of the several posts shortly prior to mine which would lead to such a conclusion. The points raised were about the methods used by Journalists and not about the actions of the parents.

Had I intended to change the direction of the subject under immediate discussion, which was concerning journalism, then I would have made that clear.

Checking the content of the half dozen or so posts immediately prior to mine will give context to my comment.

JAWS
16-Jun-07, 01:27
Interesting analogy Jaws - probably very accurate. But I'd question why we allow Murdoch and the rest of the red top owners to become 'Tigers'. It's a very simple process - we don't buy their thinly disguised toilet paper and we don't empower them. Unfortunately too many knuckle-draggers seem to prefer to read about Paris Hilton's prison uniform, Britney not wearing knickers or the fifteen minutes of fame of a young Cliff Maxford client who's slept with fifteen professional footballers in the same night.....[disgust]What makes you think I was simply referring to the Red Tops? It would appear that half the World's Media are intended to be giving the story top billing if some had their wishes. Murdock has nothing at all to do with my comment, where did he come into situation?

crayola
16-Jun-07, 01:28
If you insist on riding a tiger then you can hardly complain if it tries to eat you when you decide to get off.Absolutely. I rode the tiger from my late teens to my mid twenties and it took a loong time to learn to live with it never mind control it, which I did very successfully.

Gerry McCann is a master of the black art; his twists and turns have been masterful and he has always been at least two steps ahead of any of the media monkeys. He is light years ahead of anyone Alan Sugar had on his toy show.

Scorrie, please remind me never to employ you as my press advisor. You have no idea. Seriously. Small town boy's ideas from a small town go nowhere. Fast.

crayola
16-Jun-07, 01:44
You speak about a sizeable portion of the populace but.... Please refrain from tarring everyone with the same brush. When you prepare your posts, first read them back and carefully consider what you are saying otherwise, before too long, people will no longer bother to read them.

I do not recognise any of the traits in your final paragraph when it comes to me, and mine, and for that matter many of the members of this forum.

Not everyone is a vaccuous airhead with excrement for brains.Yay percy! I love a middle aged man with a logical mind even if we have different thoughts on our forebears.

What is it with that man? He's smart, snappy, well educated, observant, has a good sense of humour (sometimes), but every now and then he comes on here and plays the grumpy patronising loose cannon and spouts mindless drivel like wot he done e night. As always, his school report reads 'could do better with more effort'. Some compassion and humanity would help too.

Maybe he's had a hard week. Would a hug help scorrie? xxx

j4bberw0ck
16-Jun-07, 09:21
He might have done, at that. I stand corrected.......

No that is not what I either said or meant.

No. I realise that now - the clue was in my acknowledgement of it.

Where on earth did the "Dare" or "Test" come from?

I couldn't imagine, reading your post, what the McCanns had voluntarily done in terms of "riding tigers" metaphorical or literal. So I asked if you meant a particular interpretation... oh, never mind..... :roll:

Had I intended to change the direction of the subject under immediate discussion, which was concerning journalism, then I would have made that clear. Checking the content of the half dozen or so posts immediately prior to mine will give context to my comment.

Oooooohhhhhhh thank you, Master! I just love it when you do that "pompous" thaang..... Gives me goose bumps, you naughty man. :eek:

scorrie
16-Jun-07, 17:59

Not everyone is a vaccuous airhead with excrement for brains.

I don't know what planet you are on Percy. Where does EVERYONE get tarred with the same brush?

You ask me to read my posts before posting them. That is a bit cheeky. If you read them properly yourself, then that would be a great alternative. I stated that "Society, as a whole, is not interested in the real world", that, quite clearly, does not refer to everybody but takes an overall view. That is basic enough in my book and how you jump to the tar brush is beyond me.

My final paragraph tells of a Spitting Image sketch. How that ties in with your family, or anyone else on this forum, is again something I am failing to grasp the reasoning behind.

I think you should come off your high horse and not spout about people not reading my posts. Everyone has a choice about whether or not to read any of the posts on this forum. I am not posting here to increase my "readership", I post to give my opinion and it is obvious that this will not meet agreement with all the people, all the time. Tough luck if you don't like anything I write, at least I am making an effort to refrain from getting personal and attacking another poster. Your post is getting close to that and then we wonder why there are fewer and fewer posters here.

I will write what I wish to write. There is an ignore option at your disposal.

scorrie
16-Jun-07, 18:11
Scorrie, please remind me never to employ you as my press advisor. You have no idea.

What makes you think you are fit to employ anyone?

I have quite clearly touched a nerve with you somewhere along the line. You come across as envious for some reason. Perhaps that is because, despite plenty of personal setbacks, I am a happy and settled person, satisfied with life and happy to accept it for what it is, rather than having fanciful notions about how much more exciting and mysterious it might be if I believed in all sorts of wistful fairytale "possibilities"

If only you had had the life experiences I have been subject to, then you might understand a little better and not have the temerity to write me off as having "no idea"

You do not have a Scooby about me, so drop the personal crap please.

scorrie
16-Jun-07, 18:27
Yay percy! I love a middle aged man with a logical mind even if we have different thoughts on our forebears.

What is it with that man? He's smart, snappy, well educated, observant, has a good sense of humour (sometimes), but every now and then he comes on here and plays the grumpy patronising loose cannon and spouts mindless drivel like wot he done e night. As always, his school report reads 'could do better with more effort'. Some compassion and humanity would help too.

Maybe he's had a hard week. Would a hug help scorrie? xxx

I think "mindless drivel" is a bit over the top. Anyone with a thinner skin than me might be, quite rightly, put off by that rebuff.

It seems that some people are keen to get personal and wander away from the topic in order to have a go at someone. With the boards already a lot more sparsely populated that they used to be, we should try to be tolerant of situations where opinions differ markedly.

If you have something interesting to say in response to my initial post then why not just go ahead and give your own opinion in a pleasant and constructive manner? I have yet to read much of your input that I find very original or very well put across. I find a lot of your posts to be fanciful in nature but I refrain from referring to them as "mindless drivel"

Sadly, I have to burst your bubble about the School Reports. I sat seven O grades and passed them all, I sat 5 five highers and passed them all before being offered a place by four Universities. Not quite Bamber but more than capable of holding my own with the average Hello reader ;o)

danc1ngwitch
16-Jun-07, 18:48
And so we are all so bored we even argue about something that could turn out to be so sad.
Same on you all, i have not heard the news yet but i think you all should be putting all you have into being less argumentive. ( and i danna care about ma speeling because wots a few wrongly spelt words wen such horror is surrounding us ).

crayola
17-Jun-07, 01:41
Sadly, I have to burst your bubble about the School Reports. I sat seven O grades and passed them all, I sat 5 five highers and passed them all before being offered a place by four Universities. Not quite Bamber but more than capable of holding my own with the average Hello reader ;o)Good grief, never before have I witnessed the unedifying spectacle of a middle aged man boasting about the O Grades he achieved thirty years previously.

I might have been impressed if you'd posted all your grades but to say you passed them all is like putting BSc (Hons) after your name when you achieved a Third from the University of Milton (not Keynes).

JAWS
17-Jun-07, 04:05
Oooooohhhhhhh thank you, Master! I just love it when you do that "pompous" thaang..... Gives me goose bumps, you naughty man. :eek:
Never mind, you'll catch up some day, unless your "misunderstanding" was deliberate.

horseman
18-Jun-07, 09:27
It's getting good now.;)

Ash
18-Jun-07, 10:51
people start arguments about anything, i hope she is found soon, alive, so she can get over this horrific experience, yes her parents left her, they know they have done wrong, why shouldnt they be in the media their little girl is missing, i would do the same thing!

percy toboggan
18-Jun-07, 21:12
I don't know what planet you are on Percy. Where does EVERYONE get tarred with the same brush?

Whatever I choose to call this 'ere planet I'm living on Scorrie, my education - such as it was - suggested to me that if I speak of anything 'as a whole' it will generally mean I'm talking about of ALL of it.

Forgive me if I've missed the subtle nuances all those by now fossilised certificates bestowed upon you.

In reference to the thread and it's gravity. No news is still good news. However, how long will the old cliche pertain? Long enough for some kind of positive outcome, or conclusion I hope.

northener
18-Jun-07, 21:40
I'd just like to say that my belief is that certain sections of the 'media' will destroy the parents of Madeleine regardless of whether she is found or not.

Cynical manipulators have always existed on Fleet Street, gossip and snide jibes sell certain papers on a massive scale to the slack-jawed and the gullible, always have done always will.

As has been said before, if (expleteve deleted) mindless morons insist in creating huge profits for these papers, they'll do it even more. Then again, these people aren't interested in the truth, only ghoulish titillation - as long as they get a voucher for a free can of Tennants lager........

Was on the receiving end of tabloid rumour-mongering during the Falklands War, not nice people at all.