PDA

View Full Version : Caithness FM

orkneycadian
09-Nov-19, 17:20
Whats happening at Caithness FM that they are now broadcasting on 96.7 as well as 102.5? An attempt to double the number of listeners, of that grounds that one of them has a radio that wont tune higher than 99 and a bit?

Your spoiling us over here in Orkney now - 2 frequencies to pick from!

orkneycadian
18-Nov-19, 23:07
So who is behind this transmitter, as it doesn't seem to be MFR or Caithness FM, as they are still only stating "One Oh Two Point Five"

By twiddling the aerial on top of the Roberts radio, the signal seems to be coming from the Wick area.

mi16
18-Nov-19, 23:44
Bloody pile of tosh that it is too.

Fran
02-Dec-19, 22:52
So who is behind this transmitter, as it doesn't seem to be MFR or Caithness FM, as they are still only stating "One Oh Two Point Five"

By twiddling the aerial on top of the Roberts radio, the signal seems to be coming from the Wick area.
Caithness FM are on their own now and not connected to mfr

orkneycadian
02-Dec-19, 23:53
Were they ever connected?

Other than taking over the transmitter at Ben Dorrery ay 7pm each evening, and 2pm on a Saturday, there was never any connection before.

From a quick check tonight, Caithness FM are still broadcasting on MFR's frequency of 102.5, as well as the old Kinnaird Radio (Fraserburgh) frequency of 96.7

Meanwhile, MFR are doing their usual thing on 97.4 and 102.8

jimag
03-Dec-19, 19:06
Reception on either of these frequencies is awful where I live. Can you get Caithness FM via an internet speaker. i.e. an Echo Dot for example?

mi16
03-Dec-19, 20:12
Reception on either of these frequencies is awful where I live. Can you get Caithness FM via an internet speaker. i.e. an Echo Dot for example?

Lucky you, god awful radio station.

orkneycadian
03-Dec-19, 20:41

Nah, they are not that sophisticated. They cant even run a website. According to their schedules tab on http://www.caithnessfm.co.uk/schedule/tue.htm, last night, Davie Sinclair presented "Artics Solid Gold" at 10pm and tonight, from 10 till 11, we have Frank Charlton.

orkneycadian
04-Dec-19, 23:25

You can't get Caithness FM in Caithness? What kind of aerial are you using?

Fran
09-Jan-20, 00:39
I get it perfectly in wick

orkneycadian
09-Jan-20, 08:47
Is that, Fran, on the official frequency of 102.5, or the apparently illicit frequency of 96.7? Or as Johnnie Polson of Swinging Radio Caithness would say, "An inch and a half from 'e right o 'e dial, or about half way up 'e dial?"

The Horseman
09-Jan-20, 23:04
Fond memories o’ Johnnie Polson!

orkneycadian
11-Jan-20, 22:30
Johnnie Polson is still alive and well, and still does a bit of broadcasting across 'e hills and moors o Caithness. I think he lives up the Newton Row area of Wick these days.

orkneycadian
11-Jan-20, 22:44
Another frequency for us? 106.5 (or for Fran, "Gey weel ower til 'e right") So thats the official frequencies of 102.5 and 106.5 and the unofficial one in Wick of 96.7 At this rate, there's going to be no room left for the BBC! Jingles are going to start sounding like Radio 1 in the seventies - "Two seven five, two eight five, and ster-eo Vee Hitch Eff!"

The Horseman
11-Jan-20, 22:45
There are a few around, but none around who can equal the man who said these words as he was going to a dance in ???..........
We’ a packet o’ fags, a half bottle and a tube o’ midgie repellant!
He was a Farmer in Morayshire I think!

orkneycadian
11-Jan-20, 22:47
I think the dance was in Achiltibuie. I mind it well. Well, the first half of it at least

The Horseman
11-Jan-20, 23:00
I think the dance was in Achiltibuie. I mind it well. Well, the first half of it at least

Aye....Achiltibuie....was there a couple of years ago! Not much action.

Went to Braemore one nite.........oh dear!

orkneycadian
12-Jan-20, 12:57
Whats happening at Caithness FM that they are now broadcasting on 96.7 as well as 102.5? An attempt to double the number of listeners, of that grounds that one of them has a radio that wont tune higher than 99 and a bit?

Your spoiling us over here in Orkney now - 2 frequencies to pick from!

Aha, so a bit of Googling and its becoming clearer - Well, easier to speculate at least! So it seems that from Tuesday next week, Caithness FM are licenced for 106.5 from the existing transmitter site near Halkirk. MFR meanwhile retain the licence for 102.5, also near Halkirk. 96.7 is a licenced frequency for MFR at the garage (scrap merchant?) at Newton Row near Wick. So not Johnnie Polson doing a bit of piracy after all. But as an MFR transmitter, and not a Caithness FM one, then that explains why CFM are not publicising 96.7 for Wick, and have only started publicising 106.5, at present in addition to 102.5

So can we speculate that as of next week, Caithness FM will only be transmitting on 106.5? Whilst 102.5 and 96.7 remains as MFR, even when Caithness FM are transmitting? If so, it will give 'e Weekers a reprieve from Modren (sic) Country in an evening, when instead you can listen on to MFR!

I would look up the Caithness FM website for updates, but that's still telling me that Terry Clarke presents a show on Saturday afternoon.....

orkneycadian
19-Jan-20, 19:27
So the seem to be using their new frequency wisely. 6 pm on a Sunday and they break into the top 40! :roll:

Its a good job 102.5 is still around for easy retuning back to the top 40 again. Interrupting the Sunday afternoon / evening top 40? That borders on blasphemy doesn't it?

mi16
24-Jan-20, 01:38
Wonder how their listenership will fare now that a decent local radio alternative is available

orkneycadian
24-Jan-20, 13:58
I was a run south earlier this week, and its good now how the RDS on the radio works as it should. Seamlessly keeps you on MFR as you go all the way from Inverness to Thurso, hopping and skipping frequencies as required. Before, having Caithness FM broadcast their RDS station name after 7 pm seemed to flummox the RDS, which just reverted to staying on a hissy frequency, till you manually retuned it to 97.4

mi16
24-Jan-20, 14:03
i could never pick anything up on 97.4
I dont listen to the radio much though, im more of a podcast person

Mr P Cannop
24-Jan-20, 16:37
CFM management have drove a new presenter away by not making her feel welcome

Goodfellers
24-Jan-20, 16:56

She does still present two shows for other radio stations (if we are thinking of the same person). It seems CFM want to keep Caithness as it's always been. No progress allowed.

orkneycadian
24-Jan-20, 18:32

Did the same to Tugmistress as well, back when she was doing the Friday night rock show.

orkneycadian
07-Mar-20, 15:20
Just realised that we've never had Caithness FM on here for about 6 weeks now. Radio has been sat on 102.5 still. I think it was retuned one Sunday evening when Caithness FM interrupted the top 40, and its never gone back since. Wonder how its doing?

orkneycadian
12-Sep-20, 11:01
Since they moved to 106.5 and started playing over the last hour of the top 40 on a Sunday, I must say I had actually completely forgotten about Caithness FM, and the radio never shifts off 102.5 these days. But I am reminded of them every time MFR plays that terrible advert for Jaki's Chip Shop in Muir of Ord. First of all, I thought it was a spoof, it was so bad, but they are still playing it so I am coming to the conclusion its real. Its worse than some of the adverts we used to hear on Caithness FM and thats saying something. I think its a combination of the cheesy synthesised bagpipes, the Weegie singing it and terrible lyrics. I am sure Jaki makes a mean fish and chips, but please, someone record her a better advert.

mi16
12-Sep-20, 17:44
Haha must admit that advert gets under my skin.
So much so that we looked up where Jackie’s chippy was.
We haven’t ate there but I guess it’s made at least you and I take notice of it, we won’t be the only ones so the ad is doing its job.

orkneycadian
13-Sep-20, 00:15
God, apparantly its on demand.....

https://en-gb.facebook.com/jaki.chippy/videos/366463117532945/

And it would appear that the bagpipes are not synthesised, but played for real by a pair of lasses each with good pairs of lungs.

The Horseman
15-Sep-20, 01:53
God, apparantly its on demand.....

https://en-gb.facebook.com/jaki.chippy/videos/366463117532945/

And it would appear that the bagpipes are not synthesised, but played for real by a pair of lasses each with good pairs of lungs.

I watched, listened and concur completely with your statement. Well said.
Even the chips looked good! Ahhhhh.