PDA

View Full Version : Travellin' Tunes!

karia
13-Jun-07, 20:20
Hi Guys,

what do you listen to on long journeys to ensure you arrive in a good mood and enjoy the trip?

As you know I have car hours to fill this weekend and if left to his own devices OH will take along things like his entire Leonard Cohen collection and perhaps 'the Cure' for a spot of light relief....:roll: !

Personally, I prefer something more upbeat & rock orientated, especially on a sunny day with the window rolled down and the ol' wind in the hair.:D

What do you favour, and is there a battle of musical tastes in your car?

Karia

j4bberw0ck
13-Jun-07, 21:11
Tbh, I'd usually have Radio 4 on............. :lol:

but room could be found for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Portishead and even some Leonard Cohen. And Neil Young. And Lynyrd Skynryd. And some delta blues.....

karia
13-Jun-07, 21:18
Radio 4 is good.

Otherwise, I think I have to cancel that lunch date. ;)

Remember 'Tis better to travel hopefully,than arrive...listening to Neil Young!':lol:

Karia

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jun-07, 21:28
Pretty much anything by Magazine.

johno
13-Jun-07, 21:31
mixed bag with me ...travelling wilbury,s johnny cash, queen, elvis.
bellamy bros. status quo .tom petty. bob dylan & keven webster.

Innes
13-Jun-07, 22:06
Yes radio 4 is good mixed with a bit of Led zepp.floyd, AC/DC, Rezillos, Rory Gallagher, Dread Zepplin, UB 40, Zappa life is good untill the wife and kids get in the car and then it`s Pink,Pink,and more Pink.

karia
13-Jun-07, 22:11
Hi Johno, Bellamy brothers eh! there's a blast from the past!

'there's a reason' for that....;) !

showing my age here, but it looks like I'm not alone. :)

Karia

Innes
13-Jun-07, 22:30
you can hear the Bellamy brothers on Clyde 2 every other day,along with the other 20 songs that they have in there collection,but the boys at work dont want to change the station it`s getting me down.:(

karia
13-Jun-07, 22:38
Condolences, they were of their time,...but they weren't great even then!
Don't even want to think about what the other 20 songs are. what's wrong with clyde one,...or even Real which is at least funny! why clyde two?

Used to work in the media, so always interested in hearing of failures and successes.

Karia

Jeemag_USA
13-Jun-07, 22:40
Tbh, I'd usually have Radio 4 on............. :lol:

but room could be found for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Portishead and even some Leonard Cohen. And Neil Young. And Lynyrd Skynryd. And some delta blues.....

Ah yes, Portishead Dummy, no real music connisuer (probably the worst spelling ever) should be without a copy, I love driving withn that CD.

I also like good upbeat music. One of my favorite car albums is the very best of Crowded House, its just every dang song is so good of theirs, and of course when your travelling "Everywhere you go, take the weather with you!"

I like to listen to stuff that varies from Prodigy "Music for a Jilted Generation" and "Fat of The Land " (Diesel Power is a perfect car song) to Queen Greatest Hits, ZZ Top, I guerss anything goes really as long as its rockin....

I wouldn't advise on JW's recommendation of Leonard Cohen though, its an acquired tatse and you may end up waking up with your forehead on the wheel and wrapped around a tree, he is pretty boring ;)

Oh you can also try getting a collection of all the hits of Marc Bolan and T-Rex, man I love turning up the volume on those babies. Alternatively if you are having a beautiful sun shiney day, take a collection of Bob Marley to relax a little bit, never fails. Bob Marley "Legend".

Innes
13-Jun-07, 22:44
They are old sad men who are scared of change.

Victoria
13-Jun-07, 23:07
Ah yes, Portishead Dummy, no real music connisuer (probably the worst spelling ever) should be without a copy, I love driving withn that CD.

I also like good upbeat music. One of my favorite car albums is the very best of Crowded House, its just every dang song is so good of theirs, and of course when your travelling "Everywhere you go, take the weather with you!"

I like to listen to stuff that varies from Prodigy "Music for a Jilted Generation" and "Fat of The Land " (Diesel Power is a perfect car song) to Queen Greatest Hits, ZZ Top, I guerss anything goes really as long as its rockin....

I wouldn't advise on JW's recommendation of Leonard Cohen though, its an acquired tatse and you may end up waking up with your forehead on the wheel and wrapped around a tree, he is pretty boring ;)

Oh you can also try getting a collection of all the hits of Marc Bolan and T-Rex, man I love turning up the volume on those babies. Alternatively if you are having a beautiful sun shiney day, take a collection of Bob Marley to relax a little bit, never fails. Bob Marley "Legend".

All fantastic choices jeemag I'd like to add some others to that list:

Jamiroquai - High Times (the greatest hits)
Who is Jill Scott - Words and Sounds Vol 1
The Supertramp Anthology
Faithless - Sunday 8pm or Outrospecive
Maybe a bit of the Red Hot Chillies
Zero 7
Galliano
Pink (for singing along at the top of your voice!)
Lilly Allen
Tracy Chapman
Dire Straits

thers loads more in my car but i dont want to bore you any further!

karia
13-Jun-07, 23:27
As you know I have car hours to fill this weekend and if left to his own devices OH will take along things like his entire Leonard Cohen collection and perhaps 'the Cure' for a spot of light relief....:roll: !

Personally, I prefer something more upbeat & rock orientated, especially on a sunny day with the window rolled down and the ol' wind in the hair.

What do you favour, and is there a battle of musical tastes in your car?

Karia

Actually Tracy Chapman would make me hug a tree( at 100mph!)

Go on Innes, challenge me !:)

always up for new ideas.

Karia

Jeemag_USA
14-Jun-07, 00:20
New ideas hmmm......

I just rediscovered the first three albums of Robert Palmer, most people know him from Addicted To Love and so on, but his first few albums were so funky groovy, I can never get enough ot them from 1974,75 and 76

Some People Can DO What They LIke
Pressure Drop
Sneakin Sally Thru The Alley

Classics, if you have never heard these albums, they are well worth a listen.

If you like the style of smooth funk that was used in so many cop and thriller movies of the early seventies then you'll love these albums.

Also any good collection of the Who like Then and Now, or the whole album WHo's Next, nothing better than chuggin along to "Going Mobile"

brokencross
14-Jun-07, 07:53
In the car by myself BBC 5Live.
In the car with my wife Classic Fm (except when Simon Bates is on, she hates him)
In the car with daughters in their 20's Radio 1 or CD's from groups/singers I have never even heard of, never mind listened to.

johno
14-Jun-07, 07:57
Hi Johno, Bellamy brothers eh! there's a blast from the past!

'there's a reason' for that....;) !

showing my age here, but it looks like I'm not alone.

Karia
yup i like a lot of the oldies buddy holly ,eddy cochran. rickie valance [ la bamba a real classic]. pink floyd. the rolling stones. dire straits willie nelson. but i can listen to dwight yokum all day the mans a complete entertainer writes sings & plays.
ok so im a relic and i care not [lol]

squidge
14-Jun-07, 11:01
hmm

Scottish battle songs!!!!

Some megadeath, Nick Caves murder ballads for a bit of light relief - radio four if im on my own but the bruce doesnt like me shouting at the radio, always lurking in the back of the glove compartment is bat out of hell.

karia
14-Jun-07, 11:13
Hi Squidge,

I adore Nick Caves Murder Ballads, had forgotten about it.
Will definately be digging that one out for the trip.

Thanks for the reminder!

Karia

Jeemag_USA
14-Jun-07, 12:33
Scottish battle songs!!!!

You mean like The Proclaimers and Big Country :Razz

NLP
14-Jun-07, 12:57
Long journeys it has to be Hits from the sixty good for singing along to.:roll:

squidge
14-Jun-07, 13:36
You mean like The Proclaimers and Big Country :Razz
lol

nope i mean like

The corries - battle songs includes

Stirling Brig
2. The Black Douglas
3. Scots Wha Hae
4. The Lammas Tide
5. The Battle of Harlaw
6. Lock the Door Lariston
7. The Haughs of Cromdale
8. Bonnie Dundee
9. The Braes O' Killiecrankie
10. The Sherramuir Fight
11. The News From Moidart
12. Johnny Cope
13. King Fareweel

The kids roll their eyes to start with but very soon they are joining in lol

Jeemag_USA
14-Jun-07, 14:35
lol

nope i mean like

The corries - battle songs includes

Stirling Brig
2. The Black Douglas
3. Scots Wha Hae
4. The Lammas Tide
5. The Battle of Harlaw
6. Lock the Door Lariston
7. The Haughs of Cromdale
8. Bonnie Dundee
9. The Braes O' Killiecrankie
10. The Sherramuir Fight
11. The News From Moidart
12. Johnny Cope
13. King Fareweel

The kids roll their eyes to start with but very soon they are joining in lol

I still like "I would walk 500 miles to kick your backside" better :Razz

squidge
14-Jun-07, 14:41
We went to see the Proclaimers a couple of years ago and they were great - I prefer throw the "R"s away and Cap in HAnd - now theres a battle song too lol

Jeemag_USA
14-Jun-07, 15:00
We went to see the Proclaimers a couple of years ago and they were great - I prefer throw the "R"s away and Cap in HAnd - now theres a battle song too lol

yeah, first album is great, love joyful Kilmarnock Blues too. Actually that and Sunshine on leith are two good ones for the car, they are about the only two things I have left on casette, but I don't have a casette player anymore.

jay
14-Jun-07, 15:20
"war of the worlds" played very loudly - oolah!

Victoria
14-Jun-07, 15:41
good one Jay.

dunderheed
14-Jun-07, 18:28
if in the car by myself its pougues or hardcore dance or radio 2
if the kids are with me (10 and 8) they refuse to listen to anything but the who (got 4 cd's of theirs in the car)
if hersell is with us add some levellers to the mix