PDA

View Full Version : Food,Food,food!

karia
12-Jun-07, 20:24
Hi Folks, Here's one to ponder!

If you could only have 3 different meals for the rest of your life.
What would you choose?

Assume all your nutitional requirements to be met, so no need for 'balancing'
your diet.

I would have:

1) My mum's special spaghetti sauce, with that really long
spaghetti that whips you in the face!:)

2) Fillet steak, jersey royal potatoes , with butter, steamed Asparagus, dipped in garlic infused olive , salad.

3) Lamb balti with all the sides, including garlic naan.:roll:

..it's more difficult than it looks at first.

Give it a shot!

karia

Fantoosh
12-Jun-07, 21:44
1. chicken and haggis...maybe on a toastie, but okay on its own

2. salmon with salad, coleslaw and cold mashed tatties

3. pasta and cheese

my boyfriend says his choice would be:

1. fillet steak with mushrooms, onion rings, chips, peas

2. roast chicken with yorkshire puddings, veg, mashed tatties, gravy

3. bacon, cheese burgers from Burger King

christina
12-Jun-07, 21:47
corned beef hash got every thing u mould ever need
chicken mayo and black pepper piece
chefs special kebab out off the indian in high ormliehttp://www.passionford.com/forum/images/smiles/drool.gif (javascript:emoticon(':drool:'))

karia
12-Jun-07, 21:54
Hi, Christina, Is that smilie drooling or puking?!:D
Karia

j4bberw0ck
12-Jun-07, 22:02
Hehehehe.....

1. Deep fried Grimbister Cheese with rhubarb chutney followed by Greek salad and chips

2. {edit}smoked{/edit} Bacon and egg butty with HP Sauce, followed by another one, unless the first was served in ciabatta bread in which case one would do

3. Roast Orkney beef with roast parsnips, roast tatties (Roosters or Desiree - hopefully Desiree), and heaps of steamed veggies - carrots and sprouts mainly - with rich onion and red wine gravy all sitting in the middle of a giant Yorkshire Pudding, followed by fresh fruit salad or maybe if you twisted my arm a creme brulee (Demerara sugar)..... :lol:

karia
12-Jun-07, 22:16
Hi j4bberwOck,

Totally with you on the old HP sauce,...the rest of your menu sounds pretty good too!:)

Let's 'do lunch' some time!;)

Karia

j4bberw0ck
12-Jun-07, 22:44
Be delighted. What would be your choice from the menu, madame? And red or white wine? I think a nice chewy sort of Shiraz for me; your preference.......?

Big Jean
13-Jun-07, 02:13
Actually this is a hard one as there are so many choices for me .

Spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, green salad, red wine. For dessert, Italian ice cream.

Baked ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans with toasted almonds, green salad, red or white wine. Apple crumble for dessert.

Roasted chicken, roasted or baked potatoes, mixed veg, green salad, white wine. Fresh fruit salad.

All this has made me hungry now !!!

Jeemag_USA
13-Jun-07, 02:16
1. Fried Chicken, Green Beans, Macaroni Cheese and Sweet Potatoes!

2. Breaded Fish (perch or cod), hot sauce and beafeater chips!

3. New York Strip Steak with steamed Broccoli, Mashed Potatoes and Onion rings....

mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm [lol]

mareng
13-Jun-07, 03:13
Hehehehe.....
2. {edit}smoked{/edit} Bacon and egg butty with HP Sauce, followed by another one, unless the first was served in ciabatta bread in which case one would do

I can just see you at the burger van on the way home from the pub, with all the other lads in the queue - asking:

"Geez a bacon'n'egg butty wi loads o broon sauce, pal? Oh - dae ye huv that on a ciabatta? " :)

For me:

1) Chicken Caesar salad (chuck in a few Waldorfs if they are in season too :))

2) Carpaccio of beef, with a rocket-topped salad.

3) Herring in oatmeal with little boiled potatoes - no other veg required.

j4bberw0ck
13-Jun-07, 08:52
I can just see you at the burger van on the way home from the pub, with all the other lads in the queue - asking:

"Geez a bacon'n'egg butty wi loads o broon sauce, pal? Oh - dae ye huv that on a ciabatta? "

"and ge'ez another glass o' that wine" in best Connolly fashion.... :lol:

grantabz
13-Jun-07, 08:53
My choices would be

1: Full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings (preferably cooked by someone else!) including Caithness swedes, they just dont taste the same anywhere else

2: Lasagne with salad and garlic bread from Bella Pasta

3: Chicken Chow Mein from local takeaway

Funny how my running theme is anything as long as it is cooked by someone else!:D

helenwyler
13-Jun-07, 09:33
Today it's already warm and sunny. On a cold winter's day I'd choose comfort foods.

Feta, tomato, red onion, lettuce and mint salad stuffed in a pitta (or three).

Sea bass, samphire, new parsley pots, lemon mayo & fresh peas. Queen of Puddings & white wine.

Fillet steak, horseradish, thin chips, rocket salad, fried onions and mushrooms, red wine. Lemon meringue pie.

omg I'm so hungry. On a GI diet too!:roll:

Victoria
13-Jun-07, 09:38
MmMMMMmM I am soooooo hungry!

I would have...

1. Chicken in breadcrumbs and egg fried rice from local chinese takeaway.

2. Steak and chunky chips!

3. dough balls and a margarita with ham pizza from Pizza Express.

god i am unhealthy!

henry20
13-Jun-07, 10:32
Well, for me, it would have to be:

1. a salad - I've grown quite fond of them since I started trying to lose weight although it would have to be at home, I don't like onions and peppers that are on salads when you eat out. No chips, no potatoes. But definitely with Baxters tomato & red pepper chutney.

2. boiled beef, potatoes and tomato ketchup

3. Steak, onion rings, chips, broccoli, sweetcorn, mushrooms and mustard.

That way, I don't think I'd ever get bored of them. If I could just have one pudding, it would be home made rice pudding.

Victoria
13-Jun-07, 10:46
MmMMMMmM I am soooooo hungry!

I would have...

1. Chicken in breadcrumbs and egg fried rice from local chinese takeaway.

2. Steak and chunky chips!

3. dough balls and a margarita with ham pizza from Pizza Express.

god i am unhealthy!

Can I have 4? I missed off roast dinner (beef or lamb) with all the trimmings.

squidge
13-Jun-07, 11:01
Scallops with a dijon mustard sauce - mange touts and anna potatoes cooked til they are crunchy and crispy underneath and meltingly soft and buttery on top - i lurrrrrrrrrrve them

bacon and egg rolls

Fruit pastilles ( yes seriously - i cant get enough of them - imlimiting myself to a pack a day just now)

Desserts hmmmmmmmm creme brulee yummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tugmistress
13-Jun-07, 11:02
1. Roast Chicken, with deep fried mushrooms, roast spuds, peas, baby carrots, gravy.

2. Orkney steak, onion rings, mushrooms done in garlic butter, peas, chips (fluffy ones) and port and stilton sauce

3. just warm baguette with prawn salad inside including the lettuce tomato red and yellow peppers cucumber but it HAS to be made with salad cream not mayonnaise

karia
13-Jun-07, 11:09
Be delighted. What would be your choice from the menu, madame? And red or white wine? I think a nice chewy sort of Shiraz for me; your preference.......?

I completely forgot about wine, which as anyone who knows me will tell you is very, very unlike me.:lol:

I think a nicely chilled Sancerre or a good Chablis for your Gribister cheese & greek salad and a St Emillion or even a Chianti for your Roast beef dish.

Of course, Champagne goes with everything, especially bacon & ciabatta butties, it gives that extra 'lift' to the brown sauce! ;)

Karia

squidge
13-Jun-07, 11:27
No wine for me just now although if i was partaking i would like a nice italian white wine, or a nice bit of country french plonk - the sort my dad buys from the vinyard and bottles in his sous sol just outside le mans, cheap cheerful, not meant to last and very very very very tasty ....oh andabout 60p a bottle :D

Just now orange squash is the drink of choice with still vimto a close second

Victoria
13-Jun-07, 11:31
No wine for me just now although if i was partaking i would like a nice italian white wine, or a nice bit of country french plonk - the sort my dad buys from the vinyard and bottles in his sous sol just outside le mans, cheap cheerful, not meant to last and very very very very tasty ....oh andabout 60p a bottle :D

Just now orange squash is the drink of choice with still vimto a close second

Ribena Ribena!! or Appletize!

mccaugm
13-Jun-07, 13:47
Sweet and sour deep fried soya bean curd (tofu) with plain rice and curry filo pastry rolls - banana fritters and syrup

My hubbies spaghetti bolgonese - trifle

feta and goats cheese salad served on ciabatta toast with roast squash - chocolate and orange cheesecake with lashings of single cream

Just had my lunch but that makes me feel hungey again

karia
13-Jun-07, 18:01
Hi There,

Some interesting replies! I noticed a lot of you selected at least one beef dish , can I assume that the BSE crisis did not impinge on the culinary habits up there and you all continued to eat your rather wonderful cattle?:D

Down here folk are still a bit wary of beef, which makes me sad for their tastebuds!

Imagine forgoing the delights of a juicy steak or a delicious spag bol.:roll:

Karia

Jeemag_USA
13-Jun-07, 20:22
Hi There,

Some interesting replies! I noticed a lot of you selected at least one beef dish , can I assume that the BSE crisis did not impinge on the culinary habits up there and you all continued to eat your rather wonderful cattle?:D

Down here folk are still a bit wary of beef, which makes me sad for their tastebuds!

Karia

No BSE crisis here. I think in america they grow steaks in laborotories, cultivated in glass dishes from a cows ear or something. USA beef tastes like crap compared to Scottish beef! Looks a funny colour too.

I should have added mushrooms in on my steak, I love mushrooms in all shape and form, breaded, gravy, boiled, dinna care, mushrooms are great. Someone once gave me chantrelles in garlic sauce, they were fantastic!!

Innes
13-Jun-07, 20:37
Tripe & onions, spag ball, rhurbarb & custard red wine or a bottle of malt and a nice view or three bottles of malt and a nice view.(well a ur fae glesga n`at)

orkneylass
13-Jun-07, 21:37
Starters:

1. Deep fried Orkney cheese with the home made chutney from "the Sands" hotel

2. Pea and Ham soup with crusty bread

3. Prawn cocktail with brown bread and butter

Mains

1. Greek salad, tzaziki, chips

2. Full roast beef dinner with all the trimmings

3. Greek lemon chicken with rooster potatoes

Puddings

Fresh fruit salad

Creme Brulee

Mixed cheeseboard

All with dry, fruity wines or good beer.

karia
13-Jun-07, 22:29
Hi orkneylass,

You are allowed three meals = total, not three choices of three courses!

it's supposed to be difficult!:)

Nice try, but if I allowed that we'd all get nine choices and strangely, it's the number 4 choice that gets people....first three, easy! Then you remember that other dish you cannot live without, but can't swap anything for.

Luckily, its not a real problem ,but it is interesting how rarely we eat the things we swear we could not live without!

Karia

chocolatechip
13-Jun-07, 22:37
all this food that people like is unbeliveable :D if i was out for a really nice meal out i would have

for starters 1) Garlic Mushrooms

Main Course 2) Lasange & Chips with a little salad

For Dessert 3) Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate fudge Cake and a little cream *GRINS* AND LOTS MORE *GRINS* LOL i know it's CRAZY

karia
13-Jun-07, 23:08
Chocolatechip, I used to love Alabama fudgecake with ice cream (apologies to neil young on the sweethome spelling.).. Now i am dairy intolerant.[disgust] see what you've gone and done J4berrwOk!... reminding me of my youth with your...decadent references. to random dairy products.;) !

Karia

Lolabelle
14-Jun-07, 03:28
1. Vegemite on White toast. (not a possibility now as have ceoliacs)

2. Roast Lamb & Gravy with steamed Vegies and Garlic Potatoes

3. Beef Strips and Avacado with sweet onion jam

I think that's it. I cook a pretty varied menu (Retired Chef), but those are the first thing that comes to mind. Of course, I would also enjoy anythingmade with real flour. Gluten Free flour is just not the same. And I love pastries, but the aren't on the menu any more!!!:~(

dunderheed
14-Jun-07, 18:16
all you can eat rib buffet (with sides)

all you can eat buffalo wings buffet (with sides)

veal cutets ,with crushed ayrshire potatoes, roast seasonal veg

karia
14-Jun-07, 18:36
all you can eat rib buffet (with sides)

all you can eat buffalo wings buffet (with sides)

veal cutets ,with crushed ayrshire potatoes, roast seasonal veg

So, Quantity's not an issue with you then!:)

I'll bet you loved nouvelle cuisine.:lol:

Karia

dunderheed
14-Jun-07, 18:40
thats the problem kaira i spent to many years working in the catering trade when that awful trend was in full swing.
less is more my eye!!!

orkneylass
14-Jun-07, 21:05
Hi orkneylass,

You are allowed three meals = total, not three choices of three courses!

it's supposed to be difficult!:)

Nice try, but if I allowed that we'd all get nine choices and strangely, it's the number 4 choice that gets people....first three, easy! Then you remember that other dish you cannot live without, but can't swap anything for.

Luckily, its not a real problem ,but it is interesting how rarely we eat the things we swear we could not live without!

Karia

karia - you and I have very different definitions of the word "meal". If you had meant 3 different dishes, main courses or recipes you should have said so. Other people have mentioned puddings in addition to 3 mains so why scold me????

M.Funkenstein
14-Jun-07, 22:36
Hmmmm.....

Family Bucket of Original KFC

My dad's special Steak and Chips

And a good old Cheese toastie :D

happy_83
15-Jun-07, 22:41
1. Bacon joint, new potatos, peas & loads of parsely sauce
2. Warm chicken salad with rocket salad leaves, peppers etc
3. A Johnsons cream yum yum (not proper food but lovely all the same!) :roll:

Bobinovich
15-Jun-07, 23:00
Fillet steak, horseradish, thin chips, rocket salad, fried onions (EDIT: no mushrooms, & white wine instead of red). Lemon meringue pie.

Roasted chicken, roasted or baked potatoes, mixed veg, green salad, white wine. Fresh fruit salad.

My other choice would be a stack of cheddar & onion sandwiches with a tall glass of milk and a bag of Walkers Ready Salted crisps. This would have to be finished off with, as happy_83 says, a Johnsons Cream Yum Yum.

Oh let the good times roll....

peedie
16-Jun-07, 12:50
hmm this is difficult.

1 mince and tatties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 haddock and chips with a mini ceasar salad (i had this in spoons the other day i'm not just tryin to squash 2 meals into one :Razz)

3 macaroni cheese.

i'm not the most adventurous eater, but these are my 3 faves

peedie
16-Jun-07, 12:54
Hi There,

Karia

noo!! i love mince possibly the worst cuts of meat around... but we use our own beef at home which has ment i now wont eat any from supermarkets.

Innes
18-Jul-07, 21:35
So nobody likes trip and onions then ?:(

helenwyler
18-Jul-07, 21:47
er no...actually never tried tripe, but not-overcooked liver and onions with mash and seasonal veg & home-made gravy is a winter treat me and MrW relish when the teenagers are out:Razz!!

Ash
19-Jul-07, 09:37
1. Mums homemade lasagne!
2. Dads Xmas dinner and all the trimmings
3. mmmm Chinese!:D

paris
19-Jul-07, 12:59
Food being my downfall in life there are so many things i would like for the rest of my life BUT here goes
1. Prawn salad with all the trimmings
2. have to be a roast
3. sausage and mash with peas.
And if I'm alowed afters/ puddings with these meals it would have to be
1. apple pie and ice cream
2. Trifle
3. fresh fruit with cream...yummy !!! jan x

Ricco
20-Jul-07, 20:56
Hmmm, tough one, Karia

1) would have to be a bowl of muesli with added fresh fruit and milk.
2) Freshly cooked pasta with asparagus tips, pesto and freshly grated parmasan.
3) Chicken Mowchak with all the trimmings.

Yummm! :cool:

karia
20-Jul-07, 21:01
Hmmm, tough one, Karia

1) would have to be a bowl of muesli with added fresh fruit and milk.
2) Freshly cooked pasta with asparagus tips, pesto and freshly grated parmasan.
3) Chicken Mowchak with all the trimmings.

Yummm! :cool:

Greetings Ricco!

You may have to elucidate on no. 3. :roll:

Karia

Ricco
20-Jul-07, 21:05
Greetings Ricco!

You may have to elucidate on no. 3. :roll:

Karia

I'll have to refer to my takeaway menu to get al the description correct.