PDA

View Full Version : Sky v Freeview

Liz
12-Jun-07, 19:02
I have Freeview at the moment but am getting really fed up with breaks in signal over the past few weeks (especially on ITV channels) even though I have new High Gain Wideband Aerial installed.

I just can't find out what is the cause and have been given all kind of theories ranging from weather, cables to electric fences and long grass!!!

I am so fed up with it that I am seriously thinking of changing to Sky though I don't really want to!

Just wondered whether Sky is more dependable or can it suffer from signal loss as well?
Also have other Freeview users (especially in the country areas) had this problem over the past few weeks?

Thanks!

percy toboggan
12-Jun-07, 19:07
Interesting. Our freeview breaks up a lot too, and if I dvd record a late film I get all kinds of breaks while the thing searches and updates itself.
Does anyone know if the sky thing is wireless inside the home? Could I hook up to the downstairs telly and a bedroom one via a router? Might be able to if the Broadband is wireless, I dunno.

Like you I'm reluctant to give Murdoch my money but if the service is superior....? Also, I firmly believe we get better news - more impartial less p.c. news on Sky.

(just realised the hook up thing wouldn't work with a telly really - forget I asked)

karia
12-Jun-07, 19:17
Hi Guys

I only get certain freeview channels when there is heavy rain, it can be very
frustrating when you've watched most of a film or something and the sun
comes out!

I live in a valley, which is what causes the problem here.

What I have seen & heard of Sky fails to get my excited and their aggressive marketing really annoys me!

Karia

NickInTheNorth
12-Jun-07, 19:25
Much as I hate to say it I find that sky in general terms does have very good signal quality. The major problems are very heavy rain / snow / hail which can interfere with the signal quality and strength. Also I think it is twice a year there is supposed to be some problem with interference from the sun causes a short signal outage - but not a real problem.

If you have a good view of the sky 28.2 degrees east of south then you should get sky without problem.

From what I've seen of freeview they really do need to sort out the broadcast signal strength. In very good reception areas it's fine (most big cities) in smaller towns and villages it can be very hit and miss, and in remote rural areas I think you can forget about it, much like the broadcasters forget about you :(

If you want sky you can get a decent working setup from ebay for about £50 - or from the many suppliers of satelite dishes / sky boxes etc for a little more.

Installing it is a pretty simple operation (despite what some folks will tell you).

And a freesky card costs I seem to remember £25. That gives you pretty much the same as freeview - and a lot more besides. You do not have to subscribe to SKY!

karia
12-Jun-07, 19:35
Hi Nick, Have you got any idea why my freeview signal gets better, much better, in heavy rain. Also could I do anything to 'create' the effect?

It has always perplexed me.

Don't suggest a watering can! ;)

Karia

Tony
12-Jun-07, 19:36
We have sky and must admit never really have any problems with it except when snow sits on the dish. Have a look at this link for advice on reception.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/freeview.shtml

NickInTheNorth
12-Jun-07, 19:58
some good tips and info here:

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freeviewadvice.html

But as to the heavy rain situation I would guess that it is to do with the way that the signal operates, which in principle is in a direct line between you and the transmitter. However that is very simplistic.

It travels in a wave form, and it can be reflected from a surface - which can be provided by the water in the air in a heavy downpour.

That is a very simplistic layman's explanation of a very complex bit of physics which I don't pretend to fully understand. If I have got it totally wrong I am sure one of our very knowledgeable friends will be along soon to set me straight :)

So to replicate the effect you would probably need a very large sprinkler system over a very wide area.

But it may be worth getting your aerial and cabling checked unless they are very new and specifically installed for freeview.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, the only proper experience I have of this type of technology is in creating wireless wide area networks. Very different technology to that used for freeview and terrestrial TV.

Liz
12-Jun-07, 20:07
Interesting. Our freeview breaks up a lot too, and if I dvd record a late film I get all kinds of breaks while the thing searches and updates itself.
Does anyone know if the sky thing is wireless inside the home? Could I hook up to the downstairs telly and a bedroom one via a router? Might be able to if the Broadband is wireless, I dunno.

Like you I'm reluctant to give Murdoch my money but if the service is superior....? Also, I firmly believe we get better news - more impartial less p.c. news on Sky.

(just realised the hook up thing wouldn't work with a telly really - forget I asked)

I feel the same as you re giving Murdoch my money but am fed up with signal break ups!
You get Sky News on Freeview now though.

I really feel I may go over to the dark side if my Freeview signal continues to be a problem.
The funny thing is I didn't have much problems when I had an 'ordinary' box but the problems have started since I got a PVR.

Thanks everyone for your input!

EDDIE
12-Jun-07, 22:55
When u go on about freeview v sky its more like freeview and sky v broadband tv.I fancy trying that bt vision box that delivers tv via the broadband connection you can pause and rewind tv instead of hiring a dvd you can pay to watch a movie from there store there and then but the bit i like most about you can pay a little bit extra and get tv replay so if you miss a program from last week you can still watch it when ever you want its worth looking at.

Liz
12-Jun-07, 23:05
Sou
When u go on about freeview v sky its more like freeview and sky v broadband tv.I fancy trying that bt vision box that delivers tv via the broadband connection you can pause and rewind tv instead of hiring a dvd you can pay to watch a movie from there store there and then but the bit i like most about you can pay a little bit extra and get tv replay so if you miss a program from last week you can still watch it when ever you want its worth looking at.

Broadband TV does sound good as well.

I have to say though, that apart from intermittent problems with signal break up, I am really delighted with my Freeview PVR as you can pause and rewind live TV with it as well and the picture quality is great!

If I could get my signal probs sorted then think I would just stay with it.

EDDIE
12-Jun-07, 23:20
Sou

Broadband TV does sound good as well.

I have to say though, that apart from intermittent problems with signal break up, I am really delighted with my Freeview PVR as you can pause and rewind live TV with it as well and the picture quality is great!

If I could get my signal probs sorted then think I would just stay with it.
I have a goodmans twintuner tapless recorder which is freeview it has 80 gb hardrive and if flicked the channels to quickly or had a signal break it crashed the software in the player and the screen would go black and the only way to sort it was to switch it of and back on drived me bananas it always happened in the last 5mins of program I blamed partly ariel reception and the software program on these device that have a hardive installed.
Just matter of interest liz have you tried cutting the grass lol.

Bloo
12-Jun-07, 23:24
Well i have had 3 broken sky boxes in a row! And finaly one that works.....terrible colour! They are both a bit rubbish but both a bit good :D

Liz
12-Jun-07, 23:25
I have a goodmans twintuner tapless recorder which is freeview it has 80 gb hardrive and if flicked the channels to quickly or had a signal break it crashed the software in the player and the screen would go black and the only way to sort it was to switch it of and back on drived me bananas it always happened in the last 5mins of program I blamed partly ariel reception and the software program on these device that have a hardive installed.
Just matter of interest liz have you tried cutting the grass lol.

Were you looking at my post on www.hummy.org.uk?:lol: (http://www.hummy.org.uk?:lol:)

Liz
12-Jun-07, 23:31
Well i have had 3 broken sky boxes in a row! And finaly one that works.....terrible colour! They are both a bit rubbish but both a bit good :D

Crikey! Third time lucky then!

Which bit is rubbish and which bit is good?:lol:

Liz
13-Jun-07, 00:13
Oops sorry! Canna coont!:lol: Fourth time lucky!

Guess that means there are problems with everything to some extent.:(

NickInTheNorth
13-Jun-07, 08:26
The BT vision thing you still get your TV by freeview from what it says when you read the details. I'm guessing that they then provide a bit of space on their servers to record onto

Total rubbish I suspect - and you'll need a fast connection, minimum of 2mb

Liz
13-Jun-07, 11:04
Were you looking at my post on www.hummy.org.uk?:lol: (http://www.hummy.org.uk?:lol:)

Crikey I am getting dottled! I said in my post that long grass was given as a possible reason for interference!:lol:

EDDIE
13-Jun-07, 17:55
The BT vision thing you still get your TV by freeview from what it says when you read the details. I'm guessing that they then provide a bit of space on their servers to record onto

Total rubbish I suspect - and you'll need a fast connection, minimum of 2mb
it will have a hardrive built in to the box just he same as in any tapeless recorder and if you read it recommends bt total broadband up to 8 mb a bt engineer sets it up for u its the kind of thing if your living in a bad reception area its worth thinking about