PDA

View Full Version : Couch Potatoes

Capt_D_Bradstreet
21-Jun-05, 22:42
Isn't it ridiculous that potato growers want the Collins Oxford Dictionary to drop the term 'Couch Potato' becausethey reckon it gives the vegetable a bad name.

What next? Will racial equality campaigners be against the term 'Ethnic cleansing' as it implies that non-whites need a good old wash?

Can anybody else think of any more innocent terms in English that could be misinterpreted?

katarina
21-Jun-05, 23:17
My husband is a couch potato. So he gives vetetables a bad name? Now I've heard everything!

Drutt
21-Jun-05, 23:25
Isn't it ridiculous that potato growers want the Collins Oxford Dictionary to drop the term 'Couch Potato' becausethey reckon it gives the vegetable a bad name.

What next? Will racial equality campaigners be against the term 'Ethnic cleansing' as it implies that non-whites need a good old wash?

Can anybody else think of any more innocent terms in English that could be misinterpreted?
An horrendously poor analogy, as you'd know if you had any real understanding of the term 'ethnic cleansing'. Why not argue your point for its own sake instead of reducing it to the Daily Mail style argument of "what next?"? I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone mentions the term 'political correctness' and moans about their inability to say anything.

George Brims
22-Jun-05, 01:56
"Political correctness" is nowadays shorthand for "I'm not allowed to talk like the bigot I am any more". However I don't think I'm allowed to say that...

scotsboy
22-Jun-05, 07:51
It is possible to be bigoted against bigots.

Alexander Rowe
22-Jun-05, 08:47
My mum used to say "I've got a few jobbys to do round the house"

Raj Boat
22-Jun-05, 09:09
yet again Drutt is so antagonistic.

Get a life

Drutt
22-Jun-05, 09:19
yet again Drutt is so antagonistic.
It's unfortunate that you see it that way. Don't like the message?

Get a life
I was still breathing last time I checked, but I thank you for your concern.

DrSzin
22-Jun-05, 09:20
"Political correctness" is nowadays shorthand for "I'm not allowed to talk like the bigot I am any more".
So, so true. And it's exemplified on here several times a week, often stupidly but just as often provocatively. It is getting very tedious...

skydivvy
22-Jun-05, 09:24
My mum used to say "I've got a few jobbys to do round the house"

That made me smile! When we were children we did 'jobbies' in the toilet!

scorrie
22-Jun-05, 09:26

Well we had all better stop going to the toilet for a leek, never mind a pea!! And an apple a day is potentially robbing our poor GPs of much needed income. People need to stop pretending that they know their onions because onions are much more complex personalities than you might think and are fed up with people claiming that they know them!! And how about people not being as green as they are cabbage looking? What about red cabbages, why should they be left out of it? After all the colour of one's skin means nothing and all cabbages have a heart that can be broken.

Yours Sincerely. Irate Daily Mail Reader, Tunbridge Wells.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
22-Jun-05, 09:49

An horrendously poor analogy, as you'd know if you had any real understanding of the term 'ethnic cleansing'. Why not argue your point for its own sake instead of reducing it to the Daily Mail style argument of "what next?"?
The analogy is valid. I was merely pointing out that the two phrases are structured very similiarly ie they are made up of two words that are totally unrelated but when brought together they bring on a whole new meaning. I am sure their is proper name for such things but I am not word buff.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone mentions the term 'political correctness' and moans about their inability to say anything.

No one prompted you, I guess you just couldn't help yourself?

Drutt
22-Jun-05, 10:23
Well we had all better stop going to the toilet for a leek, never mind a pea!! And an apple a day is potentially robbing our poor GPs of much needed income. People need to stop pretending that they know their onions because onions are much more complex personalities than you might think and are fed up with people claiming that they know them!! And how about people not being as green as they are cabbage looking? What about red cabbages, why should they be left out of it? After all the colour of one's skin means nothing and all cabbages have a heart that can be broken.
Cute, scorrie, very cute. :D

Drutt
22-Jun-05, 10:49
An horrendously poor analogy, as you'd know if you had any real understanding of the term 'ethnic cleansing'. Why not argue your point for its own sake instead of reducing it to the Daily Mail style argument of "what next?"?
The analogy is valid. I was merely pointing out that the two phrases are structured very similiarly ie they are made up of two words that are totally unrelated but when brought together they bring on a whole new meaning. I am sure their is proper name for such things but I am not word buff.
I wasn't querying its validity, but thought that comparing the use of a light-hearted term with that of a term used to refer to genocide was desperately unpleasant and unnecessary.

FWIW, I agree with your actual point about the term 'couch potato'. I think it's a daft thing to complain about, but the potato growers are clearly still stung from the effects of the popularity of the Atkins diet (now thankfully on the decline).

When I think of a couch potato I think of slobbing out on the sofa with a pizza and at no point do I actually visualise a potato. I think the potato growers' energies could be put to more positive use promoting the potato instead of making pointless complaints.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone mentions the term 'political correctness' and moans about their inability to say anything.

No one prompted you, I guess you just couldn't help yourself?
See DrSzin's post above.

Raj Boat
22-Jun-05, 11:12
Drutt - get off your high horse (another strange phrase to keep the thread going)

You are too quick to criticise everyone else's comments if you don't agree with them - what happened to freedom of speech? As for your sarcastic comments - are you aware of the link between sarcasm and wit?

The fact that people find you tiresome says it all.

I bet you sit in front of your computer after posting your drivel, pleading for a response so you can then send out more of your crap.

squidge
22-Jun-05, 11:34
Im also with DrSzin on this

I have studiously avoided this and the chavs thread its the same peope spouting ill educated " I should have the right to be a narrow minded bigot if i want" stuff

Is there any point? :~(

Drutt
22-Jun-05, 11:56
Drutt - get off your high horse (another strange phrase to keep the thread going)
No problem, if you'll get off your high horse first.

You are too quick to criticise everyone else's comments if you don't agree with them - what happened to freedom of speech? As for your sarcastic comments - are you aware of the link between sarcasm and wit?
I haven't restricted anyone's right to free speech, nor would I ever try to or desire it. You, on the other hand, appear to be calling for me to shut up. Or should I interpret 'get a life' in another way?

As for your sarcastic comments - are you aware of the link between sarcasm and wit?
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and the highest form of intelligence? Seems sound to me. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1489878,00.html)

So are you a Thomas Carlyle fan? Sarcasm I now see to be, in general, the language of the devil.

Or perhaps Oscar Wilde? Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but therein lies the basis of all wit.

People? You mean you and... err... your army?

I bet you sit in front of your computer after posting your drivel, pleading for a response so you can then send out more of your crap.
Drivel is in the eye of the beholder.

Raj Boat
22-Jun-05, 12:01
Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

I bow to the master. No woman could be so sharp.

Drutt
22-Jun-05, 12:05
The view is poor down here, once off our high horses. Where's that bloody horse gone?

Entirely wishful thinking on your part, Raj Boat. ;)

jjc
22-Jun-05, 13:16
No, I very much doubt that they will be… mostly because only the terminally ignorant believe that the word 'ethnic' has anything to do with skin colour or that 'ethnic cleansing' is something that white people are not threatened by and black people don't participate in.

Bosnia. Rwanda. Zimbabwe. Educate yourself! :roll:

jjc
22-Jun-05, 13:39
Raj,

You have made three 'replies' to Drutt in this thread and not one of them even attempts to deal with the point she raised in her first post: that Capt_D_Bradstreet's analogy was a poor one.

Perhaps you didn't understand the point she was trying to make or perhaps you simply disagree with her – I don't know. What I do know is that your pathetic attempt to attack Drutt's person rather than her words speaks volumes about you and, frankly, you need to go and learn some manners. [disgust]

jjc
22-Jun-05, 14:39
What started off as a light hearted request by the Captain has, as usual, been turned around into a completely different topic.
Not by me and not by Drutt… the Captain made reference to 'ethnic cleansing' so any discussion of that is entirely on topic. If you can't keep up with that topic then fine, but please don't tell those who can to shut up.

To get a decent humourous debate out of some people on this site is as rare as rocking horse
Well somebody clearly understands the rule about masking swearwords… :roll:

I guess that this thread won't be around for long once your splattering of asterisks is noticed so I'll try to be quick:

If you think that telling people to 'get a life' is 'humourous' then there's something wrong with you. If you think that telling somebody that people find them tiresome is 'humourous' then there's something wrong with you. If you think that discussions about ethnic cleansing are 'humourous' then there's something very wrong with you.

Oh, and if you think that insulting people is okay so long as you then say you were only joking… well, you're just wrong.

hereboy
22-Jun-05, 14:46
Hey Captain D Bradstreet,

How about "sourpuss"? I think cat lovers would be "bitterly' disappointed with the insinuation that our feline friends are somehow citrusy in flavour?

Or "deadpan" ? Kitchenware providers must be spinning in their department stores at the thought of their items being associated with lifelessness?

These are just two words that sprung to mind as I was reading the contributions on this thread. Do they count?

scotsboy
22-Jun-05, 15:01
only the terminally ignorant

Classic :lol: :cool:

Capt_D_Bradstreet
22-Jun-05, 16:58
Hey Captain D Bradstreet,

How about "sourpuss"? I think cat lovers would be "bitterly' disappointed with the insinuation that our feline friends are somehow citrusy in flavour?

Or "deadpan" ? Kitchenware providers must be spinning in their department stores at the thought of their items being associated with lifelessness?

These are just two words that sprung to mind as I was reading the contributions on this thread. Do they count?

Those are good examples, especially Raj boat's 'High Horse', I can see Shire horse breeders complaining that somehow that this term besmirches the temperament of their breed. Perhaps this term was responsible for the reduction in the vast numbers of drey carts that used to supply beer to public houses?

Erhummm, this thread was never supposed to be about racism or bigotry but about the play on words that we use everyday, come on people, calm down. Can't we have a little fun on here without getting soooo hyper-sensitive and pedantic about stuff?

hereboy
22-Jun-05, 17:11
Capt. D,

I actually think it was the term "Draught Horse" that was responsible for the reduction in the vast numbers of drey carts that used to supply beer to public houses.

Apparently landlords feared that having their foaming ale delivered by "windy" horses may drive away customers.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
22-Jun-05, 17:17
Quite possibly, though I have to take offence to jjc's 'terminally ignorant' remark. I feel that remark besmirches any new employees at Wick and Thurso railway station. :lol:

cullbucket
22-Jun-05, 17:39
Like your style Captain D no need to get too serious.....

This dispute about tatties has got deep
But I notice nobody's defending the humble neep
The PR company shook their heads and started to weep.....
I suppose thats why they feed them to the sheep

What about Sunny Delight - the angels must be wild.....and for an inferior product

And Gender Bender - I'm surprised Yuri Geller hasn't gone off his nut on that one - sensitive soul that he is

What about Pizza Face - you don't hear Pizza Hut complaining to the dictionary about their fine pizzas being compared to a plooky face......with puss.......and boils and stuff

katarina
22-Jun-05, 17:53
Oh no! jjc and Drutt are at it again! Are you two married? If not you should be - a match made in heaven. This thread is meant to be light hearted! Fun! remember? Back in the good old days before you started reading hidden meanings in every one's comments.
And here's another one - fruitcake - the trem used for people who are a bit nutty!
Oh dear, how many more people will that offend!

hereboy
22-Jun-05, 17:53
Capt. D, Cullbucket et al,

Terrible tidings I am afraid. Raj Boat has been felled form his "high horse" and is no longer among our number.

I fear that in his zeal for protecting the initial intent of this thread he has sinned against the forum and for that he has been eternally banished to walk among those with no voice...

a moment if you will for fallen comrades..... may they all find happiness in the next life.

Oh, and what about "Biscuit ersed" I am sure McVities must have something to say about that?

katarina
22-Jun-05, 20:12
And pie -eyed, slobbery chops, beefy thighs, strawberry birthmark - what's this obsession with food?

hereboy
22-Jun-05, 20:33
What about "ham fisted, pig ugly and Francis Bacon"

next we'll have the National Pork Producers Council on our backs.... "lean backs" that is...

katarina
22-Jun-05, 22:18
pig headed, cauliflower ears, banana feet, steak lips, jelly belly We are so bigotted - I mean food has feelings too!

jjc
23-Jun-05, 00:16
Quite possibly, though I have to take offence to jjc's 'terminally ignorant' remark.
Why? I said “ only the terminally ignorant believe that the word 'ethnic' has anything to do with skin colour or that 'ethnic cleansing' is something that white people are not threatened by and black people don't participate in.”. You don’t believe those things…. do you?

If not, why would you take offence? If you do… well, if the cap fits…

jjc
23-Jun-05, 00:18
This thread is meant to be light hearted! Fun! Remember?
I say the same thing to you as I said to Raj…

If you think that telling people to 'get a life' is ‘fun’ then there's something wrong with you. If you think that telling somebody that people find them tiresome is 'fun' then there's something wrong with you. If you think that discussions about ethnic cleansing are 'fun' then there's something very wrong with you. [disgust]

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jun-05, 04:18
"Political correctness" is nowadays shorthand for "I'm not allowed to talk like the bigot I am any more".
So, so true. And it's exemplified on here several times a week, often stupidly but just as often provocatively. It is getting very tedious...

:eyes ... erm.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
23-Jun-05, 06:03
Quite possibly, though I have to take offence to jjc's 'terminally ignorant' remark.
Why? I said “ only the terminally ignorant believe that the word 'ethnic' has anything to do with skin colour or that 'ethnic cleansing' is something that white people are not threatened by and black people don't participate in.”. You don’t believe those things…. do you?

If not, why would you take offence? If you do… well, if the cap fits…

I really don't know what you are getting at. What do you mean by the 'if the cap fit'? Can you not see that new recruits and newcomers at Thurso and Wick station may be described as 'terminally ignorant'? these stations are terminals aren't they?

This thread is all about the play on words that we see in our language but I get the impression that you are trying to read too much into what is put here, or are your intentions more sinister?

mareng
23-Jun-05, 07:25
The view is poor down here, once off our high horses. Where's that bloody horse gone?

Entirely wishful thinking on your part, Raj Boat. ;)

Good to see the escallation of hostilities halted!

I think I've found your horse - there's a strange smell in my bathroom this morning.

(Did you by any chance feed it a curry before you lost it?) :eek:

katarina
23-Jun-05, 08:27
This thread is meant to be light hearted! Fun! Remember?
I say the same thing to you as I said to Raj…

If you think that telling people to 'get a life' is ‘fun’ then there's something wrong with you. If you think that telling somebody that people find them tiresome is 'fun' then there's something wrong with you. If you think that discussions about ethnic cleansing are 'fun' then there's something very wrong with you. [disgust]

Ah, so you can't remember. Maybe you were born cynical. And your constant drivel is tiresome. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the thread about a play on words? It's only people like you and your ilk that can turn almost anything into an arguement. You seem to be so bigotted against lightheartedness. There is something seriously wrong with you!
Now there's a challenge. Can anyone out there start a thread that jjc and drutt cannot find find fault with?
If you do, you win £5

katarina
23-Jun-05, 08:36
;)

Ah, I found a feeble attempt at humour from Drutt - all may not be lost ...perhaps we can convert her yet....

jjc
23-Jun-05, 09:55
This thread is all about the play on words that we see in our language but I get the impression that you are trying to read too much into what is put here, or are your intentions more sinister?
Not at all, I just think that:

a) your opening post could easily have been made without using ethnic cleansing as a punch-line.

and

b) your opening post shows an utter lack of understanding of what ethnic cleansing actually is.

jjc
23-Jun-05, 10:22
Ah, so you can't remember.
It's not a case of my not remembering, Katarina… I just don't find humour in ethnic cleansing. My bad… :roll:

And your constant drivel is tiresome.
As is yours… what's your point?

It's only people like you and your ilk that can turn almost anything into an arguement. You seem to be so bigotted against lightheartedness.
For the umpteenth time… I find nothing 'light-hearted' about ethnic cleansing. It is, frankly, appalling that some of you do.

Katarina, I'd suggest that in future you stop and think a little about what I'm saying before you jump on the "let's attack jjc" bandwagon. I'd like to think that with a little more reflection you'd realise that the original post here could have easily been made without using ethnic cleansing for a cheap laugh. I'd like to think that you would realise that the suffering of others really shouldn't be a joke. Sadly this isn't the first time that you have shown an utter lack of empathy for your fellow man and I am quite sure that it will not be the last.

Now there's a challenge. Can anyone out there start a thread that jjc and drutt cannot find find fault with?
If you do, you win £5
On the first page of the General forum I see threads by Mad Martigan (x2), Allsorts, Tumbleweed, caithnessgirl, champagnebaby, dgunn, liz (x2), cullbucket, DrSzin, Brizer2k2 (x3), Angel-Eyes, frank ward, George Brims, nutty da drummer, Ojibwa, nicnac, cezzy1234, ~~Tides~~, squidge. Brandy, garycs and Daemonblade which neither myself nor Drutt have 'found fault with'.

By my reckoning you now owe these members a total of £130. Best get your chequebook out.

hereboy
23-Jun-05, 16:02
How about "dumb ass"?

I am sure that donkey lovers would resent the implication that their beasts of burden are unable to bray ...

or "nit picker"?

Nits must be beside themselves with frustration that their good name has been darkened by association with those who wish to break apart everything people say and analyse it outwith its context...

scorrie
23-Jun-05, 16:30
How about "dumb ass"?

I am sure that donkey lovers would resent the implication that their beasts of burden are unable to bray ...

or "nit picker"?

Nits must be beside themselves with frustration that their good name has been darkened by association with those who wish to break apart everything people say and analyse it outwith its context...

Here are some others that are off the agenda

"A Chink in your armour"

"A Nip of whisky"

"Do Wop music"

"Having a Black eye"

"Being Spick and span"

"Feeling a little Queer"

Baa, Baa, Melanin enriched Ovine Quadruped,
have you any spare lanolin rich fibrous growth?

katarina
23-Jun-05, 16:49
[On the first page of the General forum I see threads by Mad Martigan (x2), Allsorts, Tumbleweed, caithnessgirl, champagnebaby, dgunn, liz (x2), cullbucket, DrSzin, Brizer2k2 (x3), Angel-Eyes, frank ward, George Brims, nutty da drummer, Ojibwa, nicnac, cezzy1234, ~~Tides~~, squidge. Brandy, garycs and Daemonblade which neither myself nor Drutt have 'found fault with'.

Not yet...but I won't hold my breath!

cullbucket
23-Jun-05, 16:55
Better watch yourself Scorrie - I feel you are bobbing around in Shark Infested water, like the USS Indianapolis just went down and the first fins are seen on the horizon......

Capt_D_Bradstreet
23-Jun-05, 18:46
Not at all, I just think that:

a) your opening post could easily have been made without using ethnic cleansing as a punch-line.

and

b) your opening post shows an utter lack of understanding of what ethnic cleansing actually is.

You certainly are the straight- laced (no offence to milliners here) one of this forum. I find your lack of irony disturbing. You obviously seem to have missed the whole point of this thread.

Why do you think I lack any understanding of ethnic cleansing, are you trying to belittle me? The horrors of ethnic cleansing is ill represented by this term, why don't they just use murder instead, like 'date rape' i guess, a quirky journalist's term, plain old 'rape' will be good enough.

jcc, do you actually like these catchy phrases that seem to put a shiny lamina over the true horrors?

Unlike jcc, everyone else here are starting to see through how the Enlish language can be used to put a spin on the reality of things.

"nit picker"?

Nice one Hereboy! Do you have anyone special in mind? :roll:

jjc
23-Jun-05, 23:25
You obviously seem to have missed the whole point of this thread.
Nope. I got the point of the thread and, for what it’s worth, I agree with you: the potato growers are being ridiculous.

However, the suggestion that ‘ethnic cleansing’ might imply that ‘non-whites need a good old wash’ is yours, and yours alone. You weren’t commenting on any “quirky journalist’s term” there, you were trying to be clever and get a cheap laugh… and ethnic cleansing was your punch-line.

Why do you think I lack any understanding of ethnic cleansing, are you trying to belittle me?
No, you’re doing that for yourself. And I’ve already given you the answer to the first part of this question: only the terminally ignorant believe that the word 'ethnic' has anything to do with skin colour or that 'ethnic cleansing' is something that white people are not threatened by and black people don't participate in.

The horrors of ethnic cleansing is ill represented by this term, why don't they just use murder instead
Because ethnic cleansing is much, much more than just murder. It is literally ‘cleansing’ an area of an ethnic group. Yes, there’s often murder involved… but also rape, forced migration, beatings, persecution by the authorities, etc.

Go on, ask again why I think you lack any understanding of what ethnic cleansing is.

jjc
23-Jun-05, 23:27
I won't hold my breath!
Aww, go on...

Capt_D_Bradstreet
24-Jun-05, 00:13
You obviously seem to have missed the whole point of this thread.
Nope. I got the point of the thread and, for what it’s worth, I agree with you: the potato growers are being ridiculous.

However, the suggestion that ‘ethnic cleansing’ might imply that ‘non-whites need a good old wash’ is yours, and yours alone. You weren’t commenting on any “quirky journalist’s term” there, you were trying to be clever and get a cheap laugh… and ethnic cleansing was your punch-line.

Why do you think I lack any understanding of ethnic cleansing, are you trying to belittle me?
No, you’re doing that for yourself. And I’ve already given you the answer to the first part of this question: only the terminally ignorant believe that the word 'ethnic' has anything to do with skin colour or that 'ethnic cleansing' is something that white people are not threatened by and black people don't participate in.

The horrors of ethnic cleansing is ill represented by this term, why don't they just use murder instead
Because ethnic cleansing is much, much more than just murder. It is literally ‘cleansing’ an area of an ethnic group. Yes, there’s often murder involved… but also rape, forced migration, beatings, persecution by the authorities, etc.

Go on, ask again why I think you lack any understanding of what ethnic cleansing is.

How anyone can try and swing this around as a personal attack is beyond me, I think your sense of sensibility is too big for the context of this thread. I had never intention of making fun of 'ethnic cleansing' I think that is pretty clear, I also am fully aware of what goes on in Ethnic cleansing. I never intended to make fun of the horrors ethnic violence. Frankly I can't believe that I need to defend my position on this issue, a tribute to your pointless needling I suppose.
I think you are a silly man (I assume you are one as I think a woman wouldn't be so silly). Are you just arguing over semantics? I am sure you just sit at your computer and try and think of ways to swoop on peoples posts to rub people up the wrong way, it is not working but I do think your efforts are quite pathetic.

You are just arguing for the sake of it.

Not for the first time I have noticed.

I think the imperative phrase 'Get a life' is fully justified in this case.

hereboy
24-Jun-05, 00:17
"nit picker"?

Nice one Hereboy! Do you have anyone special in mind? :roll:

let me think - nope - no one springs to mind... ;)

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 00:31
I had never intention of making fun of 'ethnic cleansing' I think that is pretty clear, I also am fully aware of what goes on in Ethnic cleansing. I never intended to make fun of the horrors ethnic violence.[/quote]

I think you should have explained that your reference was not directed in respect of the actual verb and the connotations that they represent in the global arena. But that you were defining both words in complete isolation from the evil that they symbolize.

jjc
24-Jun-05, 00:44
I had never intention of making fun of 'ethnic cleansing' I think that is pretty clear
Okay, let’s look at it this way… either you were being serious and you really do think that ethnic cleansing might be construed as meaning ‘non-whites need a good old wash’ or you don’t believe that and were, in truth, trying to be funny. Which is it?

I also am fully aware of what goes on in Ethnic cleansing.
And yet you suggest that ‘murder’ would be a better word to represent ‘what goes on’… :roll:

Frankly I can't believe that I need to defend my position on this issue
Frankly, I can’t believe you’re trying.

I think you are a silly man
Why thank you…

Are you just arguing over semantics? … You are just arguing for the sake of it.
Nope. I’m arguing because I truly, honestly find it quite disgusting that you think you can justify yourself here… especially that you think ‘it was only a joke’ makes everything okay.

I think the imperative phrase 'Get a life' is fully justified in this case.
I believe that Drutt said it best on page one: “I was still breathing last time I checked, but I thank you for your concern.”

Oh, and you previously questioned my sense of irony. I’d like to reassure you that it is working just fine and wants me to pass on its thanks to you for starting a post with “How anyone can try and swing this around as a personal attack is beyond me” and then going on to say “I think you are a silly man” and “get a life”. It is most amused.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
24-Jun-05, 01:22
I had never intention of making fun of 'ethnic cleansing' I think that is pretty clear
Okay, let’s look at it this way… either you were being serious and you really do think that ethnic cleansing might be construed as meaning ‘none-whites need a good old wash’ or you don’t believe that and were, in truth, trying to be funny. Which is it?

I was being neither, you are again showing that you have missed the point of my post by not miles but parsecs.

The potato growers were trying to get the dictionaries to drop the term 'couch potato', I was trying (but in YOUR particular case I have failed) draw an analogy on the silliness of demonstrating against such a benign phrase, since it would be completely silly for race equality campaigners to demonstrate against the term' Ethnic cleansing'. As has been demonstrated with other contributions, there are a load of things in the English language that can be taken the wrong way if taken to the extreme. You seem to have gone off on a right old tangent and defamed my character.

And to verbally attack me by iimplying that I am a racist then cry because I called you 'Silly' is in my opinion rather childish. You should be ashamed of yourself.

jjc
24-Jun-05, 01:32
As has been demonstrated with other contributions, there are a load of things in the English language that can be taken the wrong way if taken to the extreme.
Indeed, and I got the point… however, every one of these examples has a universally-recognised meaning. Whilst many of them are fairly jovial, the meaning of ethnic cleansing is not and common decency should surely have told you to find a different example with which to make your point.

And to verbally attack me by iimplying that I am a racist then cry because I called you 'Silly' is in my opinion rather childish.
Show me where I have implied that you are a racist. I have suggested that finding humour in ethnic cleansing is disgusting. I have suggested that you don’t fully understand what ethnic cleansing is. I have not made any implication whatsoever that you are a racist. Guilty conscience?

Setanta
24-Jun-05, 01:35
As has been demonstrated with other contributions, there are a load of things in the English language that can be taken the wrong way if taken to the extreme.
Indeed, and I got the point… however, every one of these examples has a universally-recognised meaning. Whilst many of them are fairly jovial, the meaning of ethnic cleansing is not and common decency should surely have told you to find a different example with which to make your point.

And to verbally attack me by iimplying that I am a racist then cry because I called you 'Silly' is in my opinion rather childish.
Show me where I have implied that you are a racist. I have suggested that finding humour in ethnic cleansing is disgusting. I have suggested that you don’t fully understand what ethnic cleansing is. I have not made any implication whatsoever that you are a racist. Guilty conscience?

Guys why dont you just let it rest, both of you are just banging your heads together except your wearing helmets.
Just post truce and move on.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
24-Jun-05, 01:48

You have obviously thought that I may be racist, and posted
either you were being serious and you really do think that ethnic cleansing might be construed as meaning ‘non-whites need a good old wash’ or you don’t believe that and were, in truth, trying to be funny. Which is it?
You contemplated that I was a racist in your thoughts then you publicised that you had contemplated that I was a racist as an either/or situation, incidently neither of which was true. I am no expert in psychology/semantics or whatever, but I do know that that clearly shows that you were implying or just fishing if I had racist tendencies, none of which is true.

Guilty concience? I rest my case.

You are the one who is guilty, guilty of needling someone into a pointless arguement.

cullbucket
24-Jun-05, 01:55
Katarina
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:53 pm Post subject:

Oh no! jjc and Drutt are at it again! Are you two married? If not you should be - a match made in heaven. This thread is meant to be light hearted! Fun! remember? Back in the good old days before you started reading hidden meanings in every one's comments.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JJC and Drutt you guys (or gals) need to lighten up and stop jumping on people i.e. cp'n B, katrina for the sake of a lightly thought out analogy when the whole point and meaning of the thread is not in doubt. You louped on the first post's mistake like it was manna from heaven and continued even when a few other respondents have said ' just lighten up'. Not all of us have swallowed a dictionary of semantics and just happily type off a post in the language that we know - sometimes, believe it or not without thinking it through to the 5th degree, but just what comes to mind.
We don't all have the time to pull apart posts line by line and I fully support the Cap'n in his defence against your bullying...... Every line he writes might not have 3 hrs of deliberation behind it but is heartfelt and well meant, except when he is lowered to tell youse what he thinks of your sniping.
You are not the thought police.....

Capt_D_Bradstreet
24-Jun-05, 02:00
Thank you cullbucket, for a moment there I thought I was the only one who thought jjc's remarks were, lets just say 'needless' at best.

hereboy
24-Jun-05, 02:56
quote]\ Every line he writes might not have 3 hrs of deliberation behind it but is heartfelt and well meant, except when he is lowered to tell youse what he thinks of your sniping.

"sniping" there is another one!....

I am sure that military marksmen would be beside themselves at the thought of the moniker for their well honed craft being hijacked and used as a term which highlights the senseless and needless jib-jabbing of one person towards the well intentioned humour mongering of another...

"humour mongering" oops - there I go again! sorry ironmongers! I am sure all your wares are deadly serious...

jjc
24-Jun-05, 09:00
You have obviously thought that I may be racist, and posted
either you were being serious and you really do think that ethnic cleansing might be construed as meaning ‘non-whites need a good old wash’ or you don’t believe that and were, in truth, trying to be funny. Which is it?
You contemplated that I was a racist in your thoughts then you publicised that you had contemplated that I was a racist as an either/or situation
And which of the situations makes you say that I think you are a racist? The first would make you stupid, the second crassly insensitive. Neither stupidity nor crass insensitivity equates to racism. Now put your toys back in your pram and behave.

Guilty concience? I rest my case.
No, sorry… you said that I had accused you of being a racist when I had clearly done no such thing. But something made you want to read that into what I had written and I am now left wondering why. That does not mean that I originally thought that you had racist beliefs and it does not mean that I think you have racist beliefs now… merely that I am baffled as to how you can read an accusation of stupidity or insensitivity as an accusation of racism.

You are the one who is guilty, guilty of needling someone into a pointless arguement.
Okay, that's twice now that you have accused me of 'needling'. Clearly you are angling towards 'trolling', as evidenced by the above statement which, unless I am very much mistaken, is lifted from the rules.

Now I am well aware that you and your brethren have (in my opinion unjustly) complained to the moderators about another poster 'trolling' until they received a warning… so let's nip this in the bud now.

If you truly believe that I am 'needling you' into 'a pointless argument' then stick to form and whine to the moderators. If the moderators believe that I am, indeed, trolling they will take action against me and you will have peace. If they don't then I'd ask you to stop dropping hints in your posts in a petty attempt to frighten me into not questioning your ignorance.

One thing before you send your message off to Colin et. al.: if you look back at my posts in this thread you might notice a theme running through them. From the first I have been critical of your use of ethnic cleansing to make a cheap point/raise a cheap laugh. Despite several direct, personal comments against me, it is this criticism which I have maintained throughout. That you may not agree with my criticism does not, to my mind, make it 'pointless' and that you may not be happy recognising what I say in yourself does not, to my mind, mean that I am 'needling' you.