PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Nicolson & Catherine Bruce

DAC214
10-Jun-07, 19:09
Ian Aitchison gave me some information about this couple (she is my family connection). She was born in Pulteneytown but they married in Leith in 1877. He was a seaman. I have been unable to locate them in any census except the 1881. Does anyone know if they left Scotland?

Mamie_2
19-Jun-07, 18:50
might this be them?? Alexander, a sailor and Catherine are both listed as being born in Wick

I can send you the image if you would like it. Also here in 1901 - same thing could send image. On that census he is a labourer (engine fitters)

1891 England Census
about David Nicholson
Name: David Nicholson
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Relation: Son
Father's name: Alexander
Mother's name: Catherine
Where born: Leith, Scotland

Civil parish: Linthorpe
Ecclesiastical parish: St Pauls
Town: Middlesborough
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Middlesbrough
Sub-registration district: Middlesbrough
ED, institution, or vessel: 55
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James Kay 28
Mary Kay 28
Alexander Nicholson 37
Annie Nicholson 7
Catherine Nicholson 30
David Nicholson 11
Donald Nicholson 9
Elizabeth Nicholson 8
Ernest Nicholson 4
James Nicholson 4/12
Janet Nicholson 2

Mamie

griffintryon
12-Oct-08, 17:38
Hi All,

Does anyone have exact date of their births and parents names and place of birth?? Also the exact marriage date (1877) and parish in Leith they were married.

Has anyone found Alexander in 1881 Census, being a seaman he wasn't with the family in the census. I was wondering if the census covered seaman on the seas as they sailed under scotch ships??

Thanks,
Dan

janupton
20-Nov-08, 01:34
Hi All,

Does anyone have exact date of their births and parents names and place of birth?? Also the exact marriage date (1877) and parish in Leith they were married.

Has anyone found Alexander in 1881 Census, being a seaman he wasn't with the family in the census. I was wondering if the census covered seaman on the seas as they sailed under scotch ships??

Thanks,
Dan
Hello Dan, I did email you a couple of weeks ago but I'll give you the info. again in case you didn't get it (I am a newcomer to this site,too) Alexander Nicholson b Latheron c1848 married Catherine Bruce b 1857 Wick, at parish church, Leith in August 1877. His parents Alexander Nicholson and Janet Sutherland. Catherine's parents David Bruce and Helen Malcolm. Alexander was at sea in 1881 and I have have found no census record for him. I am a great grandaughter of Alex and Catherine and I have a great deal of info. on the family thanks to this site and CFHS. I'd be pleased to hear from you, Jan.

Janice Pearson
31-Mar-09, 19:36
Hi, I am new to the forum. Alexander Nicholson and Catherine Bruce were my great, great grandparents, my great grandfather David Alexander Bruce Nicholson their son was born in Leith. The family eventually moved to the Teesside Area. Have lots more info. My aunt started researching family history over 20 years ago and has done alot of work. My aunt was a member of the CFHS. Alexander's parents were Alexander Nicholson and Janet Sutherland. Would welcome contact. Regards Janice