PDA

View Full Version : What Women Want-Shopping For A woman

Tony
10-Jun-07, 17:27
Choosing gifts for a women can be a nightmare but I usually stick to personal Items like jewelry etc. Just curious what others think on this dangerous subject.:lol:

EDDIE
10-Jun-07, 18:04
Well i suppose it depends on the situation if its for a birthday or xmas my other half gives me strong hints but you no as well as i done women can be funny creatures at the best of times so i would say if i had to decide myself what to buy i would play it safe and buy flowers and the good thing about buying flowers u dont need to go into the shop and feel stupid you can do it all over the phone nice and simple.

karia
10-Jun-07, 18:27
Okay Chaps, you obviously need a bit of help from the 'fairer' sex. :roll:

When it comes to gifts we want the following:

1) something that reflects our true value..& 75%

2) something we can keep, as we are sentimental creatures and we like to show off to our friends.

3) EXTRAVAGANCE! Champagne, diamonds, designer labels, scents, silks etc. (See, we leave you plenty of scope!)

4) Yes, flowers are great..but no carnations,..not ever, they scream last minute garage purchase!!

5) 'proper' flowers (orchids, roses, always a dozen!) have to be an 'accompaniement' to the real present,..not the present itself! Men often get this one wrong.

So you see, yet another problem easily solved by flinging money at it!:lol:

Love Karia

karia
10-Jun-07, 18:39
Sorry, forgot mega important gift related point!

Cards.....There are millions of them to choose from, touching, artistic, simple or laden with heart felt sentiment...

.....We don't want the rude jokes on bodily functions..Nope, we won't see the funny side..honest, ...it's not going to happen...not ever, sorry!

Birthdays in particular are no laughing matter.;)
Karia

orkneylass
10-Jun-07, 18:49
I don't get this - when a woman buys a present for a man, she thinks "what is he interested in, what does he like, what is his favourite xxx" or near to the time of giving she notices that his XXX is getting a bit tatty or worn out, or that he sees something in shop window or magazine and falls deeply in love. This information she files away and uses later. Why can't blokes do this?????

EDDIE
10-Jun-07, 19:08
I don't get this - when a woman buys a present for a man, she thinks "what is he interested in, what does he like, what is his favourite xxx" or near to the time of giving she notices that his XXX is getting a bit tatty or worn out, or that he sees something in shop window or magazine and falls deeply in love. This information she files away and uses later. Why can't blokes do this?????

Im sorry but there is a big difference what she thinks he wants and what he really wants?

orkneylass
10-Jun-07, 19:20
I guess your experience is different to mine then.

Dadie
10-Jun-07, 20:13
us women also dont like red underwear or clothes in the wrong size

kitchen appliances are a big NONO too!

i also dont like getting IOUs i have had a few of them from my hubby and they dont go down well!!

JAWS
10-Jun-07, 20:27
If you are not certain about (she hasn't ordered you to get) what she wants then the answer is simple.
Get the very first thing you come across that's cheap because whatever you get, at whatever expense, will be wrong so save your money and your energy. :~(

Tony
10-Jun-07, 20:45
OOPS I didn't realise the title of this thread could be considered another way he he.:lol:
With regards to Lingerie some women may consider these to be more for their partners benefit rather than for them although I have purchased such Items for her in the past. Clothes wise well I never seemed to get that right as they are such fussy creatures. With regards to size I have been guilty of choosing the wrong size before also but would a women not consider this to be a compliment if we buy a size smaller?
Kitchen appliances I take it a new ironing board and iron would be out of the question then?:lol: I would probably have the mark of the iron on the side of my head for a while. Some blokes seem to get away with such items but doubt if the woman would be very happy.

grumpyhippo
10-Jun-07, 20:54
Choosing gifts for a women can be a nightmare
Guess I must have been getting it wrong for the last thirty plus years!!!!:lol::lol:

I'm still chained to the ************* darling that I married all these years ago.

Guess it was their sense of humour that attracted me.

karia
10-Jun-07, 21:28
[quote=JAWS;231890]If you are not certain about (she hasn't ordered you to get) what she wants then the answer is simple.
Get the very first thing you come across that's cheap because whatever you get, at whatever expense, will be wrong so save your money and your energy. /quote]

OOh! you'll reap what you sow!;)

Hope you enjoy fathers Day...:Razz

K.

JAWS
11-Jun-07, 01:49
You are right on that one, I did, oh I did!
I think it was the mop to save her scrubbing the floor on her hands and knees that finally did it! ;) She said something about "cheap and nasty" but I paid good money for it, honest I did. And she was definitely wrong about one thing, I've checked their Marriage Certificate just to make certain!

sassylass
11-Jun-07, 02:11
To me, thoughtfulness wins over extravagance every time.

painter
11-Jun-07, 07:25
my mate bought his wife a washing machine for Christmas! Didnt go down well at all.

candyfloss
11-Jun-07, 10:25
Choosing gifts for a women can be a nightmare but I usually stick to personal Items like jewelry etc. Just curious what others think on this dangerous subject.:lol:
I think choosing a gift for a women is quite easy most of the time.
I think buying for a man is a bigger nightmare, it's my hubby's birthday soon and i have'nt got a clue what to get him :confused

sweetpea
11-Jun-07, 17:26
I have to agree with Karia when it comes to sentimental. Personally I couldn't care if it cost a fiver as long as it meant something. I like little keepsakes and a card always goes down well. Sometimes it's nice to be taken somewhere and spoilt too:Razz

veekay
11-Jun-07, 18:38
Reading this makes me think my dariling other half is more special than I realised. he always manages to find just the right thing. Probably mentioned in a conversation and forgotten about by me but he has remembered. i am going to have archery lessons because he remembered me mentioning years ago I had always wanted to have ago.
Yep I am lucky

JAWS
11-Jun-07, 19:15
I certainly wouldn't have let my wife anywhere near Archery Lessons, I even had to keep the knife-drawer locked :eek:

I have to agree with those who say that it's the thought behind the present rather than it's monetary value.
I think almost everybody has a present of some sort that they treasure, which in monetary terms would only be valued in pence, because of the memories it holds.

And ladies, don’t accept that as an excuse for being given a piece of junk from the nearest Car Boot Sale!

canuck
11-Jun-07, 19:25
I think that this is the moment to remind Errogie of the ban on porcelain/clay/stone/ceramic pigs.

Bobinovich
11-Jun-07, 20:24
My late Grandad was blessed with very little imagination when it came to presents for his other half. One year she said she liked Mamod steam engines, so for the next X years it was his staple purchase for birthdays, Christmases, and anniversaries until she said (somewhat un-subtly) ENOUGH!

The following special occasion he happened to remember she'd spotted a necklace she likes and, you guessed it, there followed a procession of them over the ensuing period :roll:

Thankfully I have not inherited that particular gene! Mrs Bob usually gets an ornament (of usually Me to You character(s) or Eeyore/WTP), and more recently, she has a penchant for Partylite candles and accessories. Other than that I try and keep my ears open for the hint (which admittedly sometimes has to be followed by a swift brick by means of a reminder!) and keep my eyes open for something special.

Having just been given a Nintendo Wii for my Fathers Day/Birthday (and possibly even part of Christmas) present, madame already knows that the Nintendo DS Lite she's been hankering after is going to be winging it's way to her very soon. After all I got my present early so it's only fair that she gets her's too...

karia
11-Jun-07, 21:07
Happy Nintendo DS lite Bobsgirl!
Hope there's flowers and a nice meal with that.

You've got a good one there, so has he ! :)

Karia

Bobinovich
11-Jun-07, 21:38
Hmmmph, flowers last 5 minutes tops in our house so not much chance there! However we virtually always go out for a meal for birthdays and important anniversaries.

karia
11-Jun-07, 22:13
Hi Bobinovich,

you can't go out for a meal, virtually!

You have to be there in person!! :)

It tastes much better, give it a go !;)

Love Karia X

JAWS
12-Jun-07, 12:44
Flowers are fatal, they immediately think you have done something - D r e a d f u l !

Ricco
12-Jun-07, 14:06
I always try to get the 'right' thing. But, of course, being a bloke whatever I get will be the wrong thing. ;)

I always keep a track of the wedding anniversary and buy something for that particular recognised level but I am always told not to worry. I don't even get an anniversary card! :(

Sporran
12-Jun-07, 18:51
Kitchen appliances are a big NONO too!

Kitchen appliances I take it a new ironing board and iron would be out of the question then? I would probably have the mark of the iron on the side of my head for a while. Some blokes seem to get away with such items but doubt if the woman would be very happy.

My husband learned very early on in our marriage that kitchen appliances or household gadgets were not acceptable presents! One time he bought me an electric carving knife, and he's lucky I didn't come after him with it! :evil :lol:

After that, he was a good boy, but I'm afraid he had a latter day relapse this past Valentine's Day! I was utterly shocked when he gave me a cafetiere coffee brewing pot!! Usually he gives me flowers or some nice treat. I thought he was playing a joke on me at first - but he wasn't! :-( Luckily, he brought it back to the store and let me pick out one of my favourite perfumes instead. He also surprised me with a dozen red roses later that week - so in the end, he fully redeemed himself, LOL!