PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for 16 year olds

Mr_Me19
10-Jun-07, 16:48
I have done a lot of research but am still extremely confused. What sort of jobs can 16 year olds do? And what can they definately not do?

I know this isn't perhaps the best place either but does anyone know of jobs in the thurso/castletown area (for a 16 year old) that is NOT in a hotel? The job doesn't have to be avaliable instantly but around august/september time.

Thanks!

slinky
10-Jun-07, 17:21
try icetech they always employ school leavers its producton work all aspects of making freezers 01847 821 200 its in castletown

EDDIE
10-Jun-07, 18:13
I think the 16 year old should be asking themselves what kind of carreer they want.
But a young 16 year old should be looking at some form of apprentiship or going to college to get qualifications to pursue a more skilled job because for me thats the time to do these things while there still living with there parents on token rent because when they get older and are living by themselves its a lot harder to retrain.

orkneylass
10-Jun-07, 18:51
If you are just looking for something over the holidays... shop work, gardening, babysitting, cleaning, office work, etc.....

Max
10-Jun-07, 22:46
Careers Scotland at HIE might be able to help you. They are in the CASE (HIE) building where the music shop used to be.

Mr_Me19
11-Jun-07, 17:50
I am still in school and will be for 2 more years before going onto further education. I just want a way to make money so I can buy a few nice things and top up my phone to keep in touch with my friends who live out in the country.

Its not over the holidays. Hopefully something to last me at least a year. Just at nights and weekends though.

lin
11-Jun-07, 18:07
Have you heard of the education maintenance allowance?? You can get up to £40.00 per week. Hope this helps

mareng
14-Jun-07, 06:26
I have done a lot of research but am still extremely confused. What sort of jobs can 16 year olds do? And what can they definately not do?

I know this isn't perhaps the best place either but does anyone know of jobs in the thurso/castletown area (for a 16 year old) that is NOT in a hotel? The job doesn't have to be avaliable instantly but around august/september time.

Thanks!

At a guess - they can't:

Serve behind a bar
Serve behind a counter in the bookmakers
Be a minister.
Drive a licensed Cab
Drive a Bus or lorry

Most other jobs are available to them.

rockchick
14-Jun-07, 07:36
The Co-op is really good for hiring under 18's - my son has worked for them since he turned sixteen, evenings and weekends only. Give them a try!

Mr P Cannop
14-Jun-07, 07:56
also the co-op in spring park

Victoria
14-Jun-07, 09:35
When I was 16 I worked in a Superdrug store. I did weekends and days when I didnt have to go into college.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jun-07, 10:18
not the most glamorous work in the world, but try hotels restaurants etc for work in kitchens or as a waiter

DeHaviLand
15-Jun-07, 01:05
but he did say "not in a hotel" Nick

dunderheed
15-Jun-07, 11:33
somerfield thurso may be hiring in the very near future