PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Carvery?

neepnipper
10-Jun-07, 16:05
Does anyone know where you can get decent carvery on a Sunday apart from the Northern Sands at Dunnet (theirs is fine just fancy going somewhere different). Does the Weigh Inn do one and if so is it any good?

suth13
21-Mar-08, 19:15
stclair hotel castletown great sunday carvery,well recomended.:)

henry20
21-Mar-08, 19:39
stclair hotel castletown great sunday carvery,well recomended.:)

I second that!!! Plenty of choice, decent price and more than decent portions. You won't be disappointed.

Bobinovich
21-Mar-08, 20:08
I believe the Ulbster Arms in Halkirk now does them, but I've not heard how they are.

scorpion
21-Mar-08, 22:32
St Clair ,Castletown excellent choice and all the puddings you can eat for less than a tenner !!!!!

mama2
22-Mar-08, 14:13
The Ulbster Arms Hotel is excellent for food and the carvery is brilliant, very good value for money and what a difference now the dining room has been all decorated. I would recommend giving a phone to check first (01847 831641) it's normally busy.

cactus
30-Mar-08, 00:25
We stayed here recently. The owners were extremely welcoming and the food when we went to the bar was very reasonable, quick service and very tasty and I cannot express how influential this can be with a kid. A "kids play area" where kids can come and go through and play and eat their food. As well as that a fantastic kids menu. More folk should be switching on to this type of dining - you can take your kids and still enjoy yourself (manage to eat your food hot!) It is great and the customer service is superb. Well done.

Fran
31-Mar-08, 23:54
I was at St.Clair Hotel Castletown on sunday and the carvery was excellent, what a plateful, and a big selection. the sweets were very tempting, about 20 to choose from, all home made, wonderful. Staff were very friendly and helpful. I would advise you to book first as it was packed when we went. You can go till 2.30pm. I highly recommend them.

KCI
06-Apr-08, 15:20
We went to the St.Clair Hotel in Castletown today, to try the Sunday carvery, as so many people on here had recommended it!

It was lovely! The staff were friendly and helpful, the food tasted lovely, and the children's play area (although not very big) provided us with some peace and quiet for a little while!

At our table we had the roast beef, roast chicken and macaroni cheese. It was all lovely - it makes a change to have a home cooked meal that everyone enjoys! Huge choice of vegetables, big portions, and a huge choice of puddings!

We booked a table, and it seemed quiet enough to begin with, but it did start to get a lot busier later on, so probably best to book first.

golach
14-Apr-08, 11:24
I cannot express enough how good I found the St Clair Arms, a meal for 14 of us ran without a hitch, many of us having differing Starters and Main courses, and then the sweets, which I had to decline, but there were some in the company, even went and had 2 sweets :eek:
The Staff could not have been kinder and more considerate, the age range of the party was from 4 to 68, and each of us was treated as if we were special.
Thank you the St Clair Arms for making my short visit memorable.
Only hitch I observed was our choice of the house White, was maybe the wrong one, we had some real wine connnoisseurs in our company [lol]

Torvaig
14-Apr-08, 17:03
I cannot express enough how good I found the St Clair Arms, a meal for 14 of us ran without a hitch, many of us having differing Starters and Main courses, and then the sweets, which I had to decline, but there were some in the company, even went and had 2 sweets :eek:
The Staff could not have been kinder and more considerate, the age range of the party was from 4 to 68, and each of us was treated as if we were special.
Thank you the St Clair Arms for making my short visit memorable.
Only hitch I observed was our choice of the house White, was maybe the wrong one, we had some real wine connnoisseurs in our company

I definitely endorse what Golach has said; a great meal well served and presented; staff very efficient and attentive. Company was excellent, lovely to meet so many orgers and of course the star was the little fella! No, I don't mean the little "bird" that had the two sweets;)!

Here is a link.... http://www.st-clair-arms-hotel.co.uk/home/index.php

Bobinovich
14-Apr-08, 22:34
...but there were some in the company, even went and had 2 sweets

...No, I don't mean the little "bird" that had the two sweets

Subtle, very subtle ;). OK so I'm a glutton for puddings - get over it [lol]!!!

BTW thumbs up on the food and service from me too - great selection on all courses, and we'll be trying the carvery there very soon!

Bobinovich
20-Apr-08, 23:04
OK went for the carvery today at the St. Clair in Castletown. It was very busy yet the service was very friendly, helpful and prompt.

Although three soups were there for starters with we decided to hot-foot it straight to the main courses so cannot comment on these.

There was a great selection of dishes outwith the usual carvery offerings. Lamb mousakka, sausages, chicken in white sauce, and salmon (which had run out by the time we arrived and was replaced with battered haddock). Also no less than four different types of potatoes(!), along with a bountiful range of vegetables, were there for accompaniment. All in all plenty of variety and very good portions served up.

For puddings, there were almost a dozen to choose from including a selection of cheese and biscuits. It was self service and we were openly encouraged to go back for seconds, but seriously couldn't manage (yep, even me!)

Our only negative comment, which we did mention, was that the pork & beef on offer were both very fatty. However it did give us the opportunity to try some of the other dishes on offer, which were lovely.

Still very much a thumbs up tho'

neepnipper
29-May-08, 22:02
Well, nearly a year after posting this I can report that the St.Clair in Castletown was amazing when we had a carvery there last Sunday.

Delicious home made food, quick service, polite and helpful staff, extremely reasonable at £10.95 for 3 courses - who could ask for more?

I can honestly say it's the best carvery we have had anywhere (and we have had a few!)

Well done to the St Clair, we will be back again very soon!:D

eminia
02-Nov-08, 22:14
Went there today and wanted to say how lovely it was. The management are so friendly and get a 10 out of 10 for customer service. The carvery was delicious and plenty of it to choose from. The sweets were great you name it they had it and well presented. Overall a lovely atmosphere and a delicious meal. Keep up the good work!