PDA

View Full Version : Men wearing rings in their ear....

percy toboggan
09-Jun-07, 08:13
Perhaps I court controversy but never mind.

What is the concensus of opinion here about men dangling golden rings from their ears?

Personally I find the practice quite bizarre. Now, I know amongst younger guys it's the fashion, and although I personally have seldom followed trends since I ditched my Beatle jacket I might begin to understand why they would wear one. On the right or the left. After all one would hope they may grow out of it in time - the practice, not the ring. However these men who wear rings in BOTH ears just look plain silly to me. What do you think? Can it be coincidence that any form of conversation with a double ringed geezer almost invariably reveals he's a bit of a numpty? :roll:

Men of more advanced years - forty five plus perhaps who in recent yers have seemingly liberated a long held lust to bedazzle us with ornamental ear dangles are a much stranger breed. Having lived through the sixties, and seventies where lobe decoration was the sole province of Romany Gypsies and the like, I am at a loss to understand why blokes in middle life would suddenly want to appear silly.

In truth I'm not keen on women wearing ear-rings either. Although this is more understandable.

Perhaps I just do not understand the bling thing. Perhaps I'm a curmudgeon.Am I the only one who prefers mens ears as nature intended them?

As nature blessed me with larger than normal set of ears maybe I am sub-conciously jealous of those who wish to draw attention their lugs.Mine were the subject of ridicule when a child, big adult ears on a child-sized heed!
Fortunately my head grew to acceptable proportions and the mis-match became less apparent. He claimed.:confused

davem
09-Jun-07, 08:47
I am one of these middle aged quasi-romanys, got mine done in the 70's and did incur my fathers wrath, only gypsys, sailors and whatever chavs were back then had earrings he said. He just didn't understand being trendy.
So one or two years on I still wear an earring, not aware of it most of the time but I like it and its staying.
I'm not clinging on to lost youth but I'm certainly not changing something I always liked to prevent others wondering if its a good thing or not. If they were judging that the'd only be judging other things if you took it off.

Now what did I do with that medallion?....................................

percy toboggan
09-Jun-07, 09:03
......I'm not clinging on to lost youth but I'm certainly not changing something I always liked to prevent others wondering if its a good thing or not. If they were judging that the'd only be judging other things if you took it off.

Very fair minded comments indeed. Thank you.
As for 'clinging on to lost youth' I have never really recognised that as a trait.
It's best to let it slip away, as, after all everyone else can see it has gone. A zest for life and the capacity to enjoy it is not necessarily synonymous with youth after all.
I think all human beings are judgemental in one way or another, it's what we do withe judgements that matter. Keep them quiet, and stifled. Occasionally give them vent - like here - or adopt the miserable countenance of a permanent drone seeing little to praise in those around us. Hopefully I sit in the middle of all that. It's for others to er....judge. Should they be interested.

Angela
09-Jun-07, 09:29
I am one of these middle aged quasi-romanys, got mine done in the 70's and did incur my fathers wrath, only gypsys, sailors and whatever chavs were back then had earrings he said. He just didn't understand being trendy.
So one or two years on I still wear an earring, not aware of it most of the time but I like it and its staying.
I'm not clinging on to lost youth but I'm certainly not changing something I always liked to prevent others wondering if its a good thing or not. If they were judging that the'd only be judging other things if you took it off.

Now what did I do with that medallion?....................................

Like you, davem, my first husband had an ear pierced in the 70s -he wasn't a gypsy or a sailor, he had a middle-class mainstream job. His parents couldn't decide whether they considered it "common" or "eccentric" though, and no doubt other folk may have felt the same.

To me, it just seemed part of his personality.

My earrings are more a decoration as I have a variety of pairs, although they're usually not visible from behind my hair anyway. I quite enjoy choosing which pair to wear (a simple pleasure!), and I really couldn't give two hoots what anybody else thinks.

The judgement of strangers about something as superficial as jewellery is irrelevant to me really.

fred
09-Jun-07, 09:46

Gypsies and sailors both wore a gold earring for the same reason, so they always had the price of a funeral on them.

johno
09-Jun-07, 09:56
Gypsies and sailors both wore a gold earring for the same reason, so they always had the price of a funeral on them.
now that is interesting fred. you learn something new each day, thank you for that. :cool:

emb123
09-Jun-07, 09:59
I have a few ear piercings although I only wear a single (steel) ring in my left ear lobe.

I withdrew from the idea of getting them done at all at first but it was the days of the New Romantics (Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, Duran Duran, Visage etc) and it was the height of fashion - a friend talked me into it. For a time I wore two medium-large gold earrings but after a while got really fed up with them and thought they were ugly and took them out. Never liked gold to be honest and prefer silver.

I reckon that lots of gold bling is tacky too to be honest but so were flares (I remember wearing them too although I wasn't so old at the time). Lots of things go in and out of fashion for men as well as women, for example long hair on men is really quite unacceptable up here whereas in the larger cities nobody thinks anything of it and a few hundred years ago most men had very long hair, especially in Scotland.

I think the thing with fashion is to follow it religiously until you grow out of it or have worked out what suits you best, then laugh at some of the daft ideas once you realise that it's just someone's idea of a joke :)

If men want to wear lots of gold dangly things and it makes them feel good then good luck to them. I think they look like they've been taken in by a silly idea and are following fashion trends to their detriment but if it makes them happy and it doesn't do any harm then there are worse things they could be spending their money on I suppose :)

Angela
09-Jun-07, 10:17
I agree with you emb123, most of us develop a style we feel comfortable with over the years. Hopefully it's something that's flattering, but it's what you feel happy with that matters. As you get a bit older, you become more aware of the cycles of fashion over the decades. I certainly laugh when I think of some of the clothes I wore in my teens, which seemed soooooo cool at the time, although even then I had quite a strong image of a style that I felt suited me.

I too prefer silver, the only gold I have is my wedding ring, but that's just my personal choice. I have a silver necklace, specially made, that means a lot to me and I'd feel quite bare without.

I do have prejudices, I know, don't we all, but as I get older I find I'm trying a bit harder not to be affected by superficial ones. :confused

connieb19
09-Jun-07, 11:01
I don't mind men with a pierced ear but blokies with a pierced nipple, hmm well it's just plain disgusting imo. :eek:

Jeemag_USA
09-Jun-07, 15:31
I don't think its anything to do with being trendy, I think its just personal choice, somebody sees somehting and thinks they woudl like that too. I had an earring from about age 15 or so and stopped wearing it about age 22. This week I was at a funeral and the man who's wife had died was 67 years old and wore a single gold earing ring, he had it pretty much all his life and it was a gift from a dear friend and he kept it all that time.

To be honest this is the kind of question you'd expect asked about 30 years ago Percy :cool:

Why would someone put a stud through their tongue, thats what I want to know [lol] I can never get a straight answer from anyone who has one they always say "Whab dabba yab thlas nabad!!!"

Jeid
09-Jun-07, 16:01
I'm from the younger generation and I guess people see it as trendy. Although, I'm not so keen on the gold hoops that people wear. Ear piercings, like any piercing, is a personal choice thing.

I have 3 ear piercings. Both lobes once and the top of my ear.

percy toboggan
09-Jun-07, 16:52

I need no other post to justify this thread, for in my thinking out loud mode I have now learned something. This kind of information is almost priceless to someone like myself. Thank you Fred.

Jemag - I couldn't ask this question thirty years ago. I didn't have the anonymity of an internet forum. To ask the question directly of those few who wore them back then might have attracted a bunch of fives.Roughians and fairground types for the most part. I was only a bit rufty tufty you see, and merely talked a good fight.

Anyway, a good thumping is the last thing on mi mind. I've just found a second pair of specs which I thought I'd lost - two pairs in the week.:lol: I have saved myself three hundred pounds so far. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself and this old Oakwood Cider is helping. At 6% it's probably a similar proportion to those who get steamed up about mens ear-rings.:roll:

horseman
09-Jun-07, 17:04
Think it's great.. Wish I'd had the bottle to do it,one ear only,

left one.
When I see an old mannie 'ringed' I always giggle to myself,but inwardly.. yea..:D

mums angels
09-Jun-07, 22:43
What about a guy with a belly button peircing...i saw this recently and it was the first id seen on a guy

as for ear peircings one isnt too bad on a guy but recently alot are having both done, my brother in law came home with two large diamond studs in ...i told him to get them out it looked daft ...quite fancied the earings myself though :lol:

scorrie
10-Jun-07, 14:02

Wow, hard to imagine a gold earring buying you much of a service these days!!

johno
10-Jun-07, 17:00
i had the left ear done ages ago, lost it somewhere along the road and never bothered to replace it.

Angela
10-Jun-07, 17:18
i had the left ear done ages ago, lost it somewhere along the road and never bothered to replace it.

ooh, johno, aren't you a bit deaf with only the one ear? :eek: [lol]

johno
10-Jun-07, 17:22
ooh, johno, aren't you a bit deaf with only the one ear? :eek: [lol]
aye yer sharp on the uptake angie