PDA

View Full Version : Picking your brains

Tugmistress
08-Jun-07, 20:23
Hi folks,
I have a friend staying with me for a week at the moment who is into WWII aircraft, airfields etc.
He read a book a while ago by an ex pilot that mentioned Castletown, the last time he was up we found the graveyard pictured in the book which is behind the Northern Sands Hotel at Dunnet, I am going to see if we can get permission to go and wander around the Castletown airfield, but is there anyone in orger land that knows a bit of the actual history of the place?
If you can help me and him, then answer on here or pm me and I will give you my phone number, it would be great for him to meet someone with the knowledge :D

thanks in advance if you can help :)

oh, and just incase you are reading this, thank you to the wonderfully nice lady that took us round the old WWII hanger at Wick today!

Kenn
08-Jun-07, 23:41
There are several items on the forum that might give you the info you are looking for, try typing Castletown Air Field on the search engine and you could be surprised.

Bobinovich
09-Jun-07, 00:00
Hi Tuggs

Try Castletown Heritage's (http://www.castletownheritage.co.uk/) site and click on the Castletown Recalls link - there's a downloadable PDF book about Castletown's role in WWII

Hope that helps.

Bob

Tugmistress
09-Jun-07, 01:05
Thanks you two :)
I'll do it in the morning before we go off over there, too tired just now :roll:

Lavenderblue2
09-Jun-07, 09:58
Kevin Sinclair would be a good person to speak to - he lived for some time in a bunker on Castletown Airfield!! He and another fellow (can't remember his name) gathered lots of artifacts and information about the airfield.

I don't know where Kevin lives now, he travels such a lot but I do know he is in the County just now as I saw him walking along Traill Street last week.

Perhaps another orger will know how to contact him - I hope so.

LB

Torvaig
09-Jun-07, 11:00
Kevin Sinclair would be a good person to speak to - he lived for some time in a bunker on Castletown Airfield!! He and another fellow (can't remember his name) gathered lots of artifacts and information about the airfield.

I don't know where Kevin lives now, he travels such a lot but I do know he is in the County just now as I saw him walking along Traill Street last week.

Perhaps another orger will know how to contact him - I hope so.

LB

Kevin has left again I'm afraid; back to New Zealand.