PDA

View Full Version : Box of hankies ready for a real weepie film

nanoo
08-Jun-07, 13:12
We have had the tug at the heartstrings moment on film, Thread. It had a great response as well. Now what film did you watch that had you heartbroken from the getgo right up to the very last scene? I've watched many films in my life but i have to say the saddest ever was 'Who Will Love My Children' It starred -- Ann Margaret as Lucile Fray who has only 12 months to live --- just long enough for her to find loving homes for her 10 children. This was a true story as well. What movie got your box of hankies at the ready right at the start and were still in use at the end.

orkneylass
08-Jun-07, 17:19
One for me is when Forest discovers he has a son and asks "Is he.....smart?"

I also love the very end of Notting Hill when they are sitting on the bench together and she is heavily pregnant.

The film I could not watch again because it is so moving and so terrible is "The Deer Hunter".

percy toboggan
08-Jun-07, 19:33
I cried at the end of The Shawshank Redemption - twice.
And I'm a bloke !

Never managed to get to the end of 'the Deerhunter' it's always seemed interminable to me.

erli
08-Jun-07, 19:38
I'm not really one for weepy films, but ones like Shindler's List and Sophie's choice are the sort of thing that get to me. More disturbing than sad I guess.

Yok Finney
08-Jun-07, 19:49
The Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy which is a documentary film moved me like nothing else. But boys don't weep. Or we never admit to it. It changed my understanding of 20th century history. Life must have commitment. And adversity will show you the way.

Lianachan
08-Jun-07, 22:08
The Kid by Charlie Chaplin, when they take the kid away and he goes after him....

Deeply moving.

M.Funkenstein
08-Jun-07, 22:32
When John dies at the end of Green Mile.:(

That was an amazing film.

orkneylass
08-Jun-07, 22:57
Yep, add the green mile to my list - well just add anything with Tom Hanks in it - Philadelphia, Sleepless in Seattle.....

triger
09-Jun-07, 08:06
KING KONG ! when he got shot to bits on the Empire State Building

emb123
09-Jun-07, 10:13
I was brought up watching a number of old musicals as my mum loved them and try as I might, I find it a struggle not to be at least a little choked when the King dies in The King & I.

Wouldn't be my first choice of film to watch now I'm older but it's certainly a grand and lavish movie.

Dadie
09-Jun-07, 10:20
when the mouse gets stamped on in the green mile and the ending ..i cry every time..

percy toboggan
09-Jun-07, 17:06
Yep, add the green mile to my list - well just add anything with Tom Hanks in it - Philadelphia, Sleepless in Seattle.....

'Castaway' orkneylass, surely that has become a favourite of yours? The way he related to that football. Real tear jerky moments ;)

Incidentally appropo of nowt, I once had to explain to a lorry driver (twenty years on nights) that 'Green Mile' was NOT a true story.

I shall never forget his look of incredulity, nor mine.:Razz

porshiepoo
09-Jun-07, 23:41
'What dreams may come' with Robin Williams.
Plus 'The Green Mile' and 'Pharlap' (Gets me every time).

BRIE
10-Jun-07, 09:49
I watched the guardian last week & it has to be one of the best films ive seen & i did have a weep.
Green mile is my all time favorite though & titanic.

Munro
10-Jun-07, 10:07
I can grizzle through most of "Field of Dreams" IMO the best film ever
but then I am me.

cabbage
10-Jun-07, 14:10
My choice would be Fried Green Tomatoes cos its a tale of friendship that lasts thru a lifetime and The Bridges of Madison County cos please God let that kind of love happen to me in my lifetime !!:D

Lavenderblue2
10-Jun-07, 14:21
I can remember the first film I ever sobbed at - Dumbo! I was very small – many, many decades ago now...

It was the scene where the mother elephant was put into jail and she hung her trunk out through the bars and the distraught Dumbo sat on it. She gently swung him back and forth and sang a lullaby to him, 'baby mine don't you cry'...hisk :cry: - I'm off again ...

I also wept buckets the first and only time I ever saw 'Gone with the wind' when they re-released it during the 1960's - I can remember being so embarrassed at the state of my face when I came out of the cinema on a bright sunny Saturday afternoon.

I know there’s lot of others that have made me cry along the way but I can’t remember them…it’s an age thing you know!

LB

Dadie
10-Jun-07, 14:30
Bambi.. when bambis mother dies... the ending of old yeller..pass the hankies!

_Ju_
10-Jun-07, 23:29
I cannot choose one, because I love film and I especially love the ones that touch me. So here is a small list of my favorite tearjerkers, in no particular order.

"Love story" because it is beautiful and yet so sad and unlike the boyfriend/husband, you know she is going to die from the start.

"The shipping news" and "Pay it forward". There is something about Kevin Spacey when he plays someone with a wounded soul that is utterly convincing and moving.

"The Notebook": about dedication.

"Piano": her choice to live instead of die with her piano...without her music....without her words.

"The colour purple": about surviving

"Everything about my mother" Pedro Almodovar's look at a mother working as a nurse in the organ transplant service in a hospital and is confronted with her only son being run over and dying.

"The Fisher King" with an insane Robin Williams whose wife was killed by a deranged gun man that a "Howard-Stern" type radio DJ egged on.

From my teenage years, a film I saw more than 20 times in total ( luckily the VCR died, or it would have been more), "Dead poets society". I will invariably shed a tear for the youngster that kills himself, and more when, in the end, they climb onto the desk with a resonant "oh captain, my captain".

And last, but definately not least: Schindlers list. The storyline itself did not move me ( in reality he was a bit of a womanising drunk whose actions, mediated by his accountant, had fortunate consequences for some people. He did not so much intend to good, but it happened to be good.) It was more the scenes at the camps, the selection processes, the taking of the children while the mothers ran after the truck.... the children hiding in the sewers.... those were terrible, true and anguishing.

I'm going before I am here all night making an interminable list.

orkneylass
11-Jun-07, 20:05
Had a good weep at the end of "secrets and Lies" last night!

Cinders392
11-Jun-07, 20:22
Watership down everytime!

Hazel: Lord Frith, I know you've looked after us well, and it's wrong to ask even more of you. But my people are in terrible danger, and so I would like to make a bargain with you. My life in return for theirs.
Frith: There is not a day or night when a mother doe does not offer her life for her kittens, or an honest captain of Owsla his life for his chief's. But there is no bargain. What is, is what must be.

percy toboggan
11-Jun-07, 20:43
I'm genuinely surprised that anyone over the age of ten can get upset over a cartoon.

orkneylass
11-Jun-07, 20:50
I'm genuinely surprised that anyone over the age of ten can get upset over a cartoon.

And films like The Green Mile, Forest Gump etc are real? It's a shame if you cannot suspend your disbelief in order to connect with the emotion. It does not matter if something is a cartoon - bambi etc are as real as Forest Gump is to the person with poetry in their soul!

karia
11-Jun-07, 21:17
OK! That bit in 'dead poet society' where they stand on the desks and affirm,...'captain, my captain,'

Karia xx

kriklah
11-Jun-07, 22:16
ok, so am i the only one to cry at the end of Terminator 2 ???!!! when Arnie lowers himself into the molten metal?

lin
12-Jun-07, 00:17
Lassie come home!!!! I cant even watch the titles, it has me in tears!!!

George Brims
12-Jun-07, 02:23
I would weep if forced to watch either "The Sound of Music" or "Grease".

percy toboggan
12-Jun-07, 18:06
And films like The Green Mile, Forest Gump etc are real? It's a shame if you cannot suspend your disbelief in order to connect with the emotion. It does not matter if something is a cartoon - bambi etc are as real as Forest Gump is to the person with poetry in their soul!

For people under the age of ten maybe. Your choice of example is not the best. Green Mile, great film though it is... could never have me in 'tears'. It's just not 'real' enough.

Your 'poetry in the soul' quote is interesting. I'm just not sure how it works with Bambi , or Forest Gump for that matter. I love good poetry, even have a go myself on occasion. You are mistaking a capacity for melliflous, flowing and evocative language for the inability to recognise , as an adult, complete and utter fabrication, formulated merely for the sake of some tugging at heartstrings, putting bums on seats and selling boxes of tissue.