PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Walk Fall

souperman
08-Jun-07, 13:03
Click on the Scotsman link on the org homepage and scroll down to comment No22, charming !

jim shoe
08-Jun-07, 13:38
I was shocked to say the least.

The newspaper and the comments some of these people left were ridiculous.

I am almost teatotal and i could drink 2 or 3 vodkas without becoming silly or clumsy.

Is there any proof that this woman did drink, or is it supposition.

The comments were so unfair made by those who left their opinion, she was a single unemployed mother who probably attempted suicide then decided to sue.

Has no one taken into account all the other accidents which have occurred over the period of time in that said area.

The posters on the scotsman page obviously do not live by the christian creed judge lest ye be judged.

This woman has suffered enough pain and indignity without the scotsman and its readers turning her into a lush.

Ultimately i suppose we are all responsible for our own safety, but the council should at least now move the bench a good three or four foot back, and at least fence off the most dangerous parts of the cliff.

fencing can come in many shapes and forms, it could just be planting some rough bushes with prickles ect which may encourage people to keep away from the edge.

I wish this woman all the best and hope if she reads the scotsman to take all that is said about her with a pinch of salt.

lab
08-Jun-07, 14:40
Where does it say anywhere in court papers or scotsman that the woman was a drug taking single mother trying to commit suicide.
That saying i think the court was right any one who lives in THURSO knows how dangerous the victoria walk is. And i think that past falls have all been caused by drink.

squidge
08-Jun-07, 14:46
I hate the whole thing whereby people see an opportunity to slag off someone they dont know, take the holier than thou stance and be insulting, arrogant and unpleasant all in the same breath.

The woman fell off a cliff, the judge has made a judgement that she was careless and responsible for her own safety and not that she was drunk or drugged or suicidal so where do people who werent in court, who read a bit in a newspaper and dont know the woman or her circumstances get off making these judgements?

I am so glad i am not like any of the people passing those comments. It would be miserable to be so mean and horrible.

corgiman
08-Jun-07, 16:13
if they were all caused by drink surely the council worker wasn't so it's unfair to say that. I dont know her well but when I have met her I found her a very nice person and nobody really has a right to judge her so harshly she has paid a very high price for her accident.

riggerboy
08-Jun-07, 16:56
yes a very high price she has paid, and i have all the sympathy in the world for her, there is no dispute, but we cannot forget that it was her own fault and there should never have been a court case to answer, there is a natural barrier there i have seen it, long grass at the side of the cliff screams danger stay away, there is a path stick to the path follow the path and you`ll be fine,

ecb
08-Jun-07, 17:39
Yes, some of the comments are harsh, but if you go to the link:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=895942007

you will see there is a facility next to each comment to "Report as unsuitable", so perhaps if reported, the more unpleasant comments could be removed.

Tony
08-Jun-07, 23:56
Where does it say anywhere in court papers or scotsman that the woman was a drug taking single mother trying to commit suicide.
That saying i think the court was right any one who lives in THURSO knows how dangerous the victoria walk is. And i think that past falls have all been caused by drink.

I remember one time I was at the caravan site and a young boy who was staying at the camp site fell over the cliff and landed on a ledge and luckily only bruised with a broken arm. This stretch of cliffs should have been fenced off as is within the town and long over due. Relying on turfs of grass is not acceptable.

crayola
09-Jun-07, 00:43
It is fenced off. Unfortunately, the path and benches are on the wrong side of the 'fence'. :confused

gollach
09-Jun-07, 01:44
I think that the fencing to which you refer is more designed to keep the dog of dog-walkers out of both the play area and camp site.

To be perfectly honest, I see this incident as being the same as someoe whoi tries to claim off someone after they fall over a harbour wall. Is there not a clear and obvios danger associated with even just being there?

We cannot and should not legislate for obvious safety hazards. I agre that this is a terribly unfortunate case but I genuinely believe that the council is not to blame in this instance.

kitty
09-Jun-07, 08:32
What if it had been a child that had fallen though. Would people still be saying the same. I don't think it matter who fell or for what reason but what matters is that fact that there is a bench so close to the edge and people will sit on it. If all she did was bend down to pick up something then it just shows you how easily it can happen. There should definately be a fence there to stop any further accidents happening.

katarina
09-Jun-07, 09:34
What if it had been a child that had fallen though. Would people still be saying the same. I don't think it matter who fell or for what reason but what matters is that fact that there is a bench so close to the edge and people will sit on it. If all she did was bend down to pick up something then it just shows you how easily it can happen. There should definately be a fence there to stop any further accidents happening.

This was a terrible accident and the woman has all my sympathies, but i as others have pointed out there are obvious danger on any cliff walk - we have similar ones in Wick. It is part of nature and in order to enjoy it we have to respect it. to answer your question, Kitty, A child should not be allowed to play near cliffs unsupervised.
I may be wrong as i haven't checked the article, but as i believe it, the woman had been drinking vodka and it was at night, both adding to the dangers. Perhaps the seat should be positioned further back but I agree with the council's ruling in this case.

kitty
09-Jun-07, 10:37
This was a terrible accident and the woman has all my sympathies, but i as others have pointed out there are obvious danger on any cliff walk - we have similar ones in Wick. It is part of nature and in order to enjoy it we have to respect it. to answer your question, Kitty, A child should not be allowed to play near cliffs unsupervised.
I may be wrong as i haven't checked the article, but as i believe it, the woman had been drinking vodka and it was at night, both adding to the dangers. Perhaps the seat should be positioned further back but I agree with the council's ruling in this case.

I know that children shouldn't be allowed to play near cliffs, i was just using that as an example, but my point is that accidents happen and if the coucil put up fences in that area then atleast they have done everything within their power to stop these accidents happening. If anyone chooses to go on the wrong side of these then that is their own fault and the council then know that they have taken every possible measure to stop terrible things like this happening

thirsaloon
09-Jun-07, 12:35
I really dont see much of an issue here. The Victoria Walk is not a dangerous area if you use the walk as it should be used and keep to the path. As already mentioned it has a very clear and obvious danger. People falling over the Vic seem to be recent thing as I have never heard or seen of any reports where it happened before the turn of the century. Perhaps common sense has slowly faded out throughout the generations!

My view is this, if you want to walk near a cliff, a river, harbour etc, then do so, but take your safety in your own hands and be responsible for your own actions. Its the same as when you cross a road, if your not careful your liable to suffer.

I would hate to see the coastline fenced off because of a very small number of people who dont use it in a safe manner.

Innes
10-Jun-07, 14:38
welcome to the org thirsaloon.

Yes. I`m with you on this one.

thirsaloon
10-Jun-07, 21:06
Why thank you Innes! Very kind of ya! Glad I aint alone in my opinion, dont get me wrong, I have nothing against the woman and I wouldnt want to be in her place or anyone else that has suffered going over there. But thinking back to the past there has been a few cases where the demon drink has been said to have been involved! Ach weel! Drinks in, the wits out!