PDA

View Full Version : Unusual sound in the garden.

Bill Fernie
07-Jun-07, 23:37
I think we may have a Nightjar at March Road in Wick. For the past couple of late evenings we have heard this very loud noise and I have tracked it down on the web to hear it. This link has the sound - http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/n/nightjar/index.asp

Does anyone know if there are other birds that might sound like this.

We also have bats at March Road, Wick also but they do not put out a sound we can hear as far as I am am aware.

According to the web site i looked at Nightjars are not found in Scotland. Is the one at March Road an odditiy. We have not ben able to see it as yet as it seems to start making the sound about 30 minutes before darkness and then continues for a long time after complete darkness.

Has anyone else heard a loud shrill clicking noise and any ideas what it might be. Stops momentarily when I approach the tree in the garden where the sound comes from but not for long and restarts. A clap of the hands will stop it but only for second. Torch also stops it but only for a moment before it restarts.

We have fields all around us.

nemosia
08-Jun-07, 18:59
Hi Bill,

Don't think there are any likely confusion species. If what you are hearing sounds like the recording on the RSPB website then you may well have a nightjar around. Think I'll have to come over tonight and have a listen.

Cheers,
Iain

WeeBurd
08-Jun-07, 20:41
I think we may have a Nightjar at March Road in Wick. For the past couple of late evenings we have heard this very loud noise and I have tracked it down on the web to hear it. This link has the sound - http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/n/nightjar/index.asp

Does anyone know if there are other birds that might sound like this.

We also have bats at March Road, Wick also but they do not put out a sound we can hear as far as I am am aware.

According to the web site i looked at Nightjars are not found in Scotland. Is the one at March Road an odditiy. We have not ben able to see it as yet as it seems to start making the sound about 30 minutes before darkness and then continues for a long time after complete darkness.

Has anyone else heard a loud shrill clicking noise and any ideas what it might be. Stops momentarily when I approach the tree in the garden where the sound comes from but not for long and restarts. A clap of the hands will stop it but only for second. Torch also stops it but only for a moment before it restarts.

We have fields all around us.

Nothing too unusual over here, Bill, although we too have bats who silently whizz by on a summer evening, tiny little beasties, very sweet.

My unidentified bird call, mentioned in an earlier post, we believe is actually a blackbird, mimicking the sound of the fuel tankers reversing. I didn't know they were mimicks, anyone care to shed any light?

karia
08-Jun-07, 21:26
Blackbirds are hilariously good mimics!

we have one who can switch seamlessly from low flying aircraft, to bickering couple, (must be our neighbours!) to very recognisable TV themes, then cackles away to himself for being so clever.

He also does a mean 'wolfwhistle', which can be most distracting when you are bent over pulling up weeds!

Absoloutely my favourite birds.

Karia

WeeBurd
08-Jun-07, 21:38
Blackbirds are hilariously good mimics!

we have one who can switch seamlessly from low flying aircraft, to bickering couple, (must be our neighbours!) to very recognisable TV themes, then cackles away to himself for being so clever.

He also does a mean 'wolfwhistle', which can be most distracting when you are bent over pulling up weeds!

Absoloutely my favourite birds.

Karia

Oh no, before long our ones will be saying "Here mannie, come and get some grapes... here's yur grapes, mannie", 'coz that's all they must be hearing from me, hahaha![lol]

Seriously though, I knew Starlings were mimicks, but never knew that of Blackbirds. I had three males in the garden at the same time yesterday, all fighting for some grapes. This morning a had one male, taking his three furballs out for some food - was not quite quick enough to get a pic of the group, as they flew off when I opened the window, I think it spooked the wee ones.

Bill Fernie
08-Jun-07, 22:11
Julian Smith has justbeen over and a bird was churring. Julian says it is a Grasshopper Warbler. See and hear it at http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/grasshopperwarbler/index.asp

Julian does not rule out a Nightjar being here also. I will try to record it tonight as getting a glimpse seems unlikely.

r.rackstraw
08-Jun-07, 22:17
Starlings are great mimics. Recently I was sitting outside and heard my neighbour shouting instructions to his collie. But it didn't sound quite right.
I then realised he was being mimicked by a starling sitting on the wires above me!

nemosia
08-Jun-07, 23:11
Hello again,

Apologies for the late chap at the door Bill. Yep it's definitely a grasshopper warbler there. That's a reelin' not a churrin'. Never mind, still a good bird.

Thanks,
Iain

Kenn
08-Jun-07, 23:54
Been following this with interest as neither bird is common here, keep us informed if the Nightjar should show up.

Bill Fernie
09-Jun-07, 00:41
I am uploading a file to Youtube to let you all hear what ihave been hearing for the past few nights.

As two people have now been to the house and confirmed it is a Grasshopper Warbler there seems to be little doubt. The bird moved up nearer the house into the trees at the bottom of my garden again as it got dark. I have made a recording and once it is processed I will post the link here.

Bill Fernie
09-Jun-07, 02:01
the footage taken in the garden shows the trees but not the elusive bird. The sound should be OK. Once the footage has ben processed at Youtube it wilbe found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCyeeNh0XUU

Margaret M.
09-Jun-07, 14:45
Wow, it's exciting to get a visitor that is so rare in the area!

Manxman
09-Jun-07, 21:02
Your you tube recording has solved a riddle for us. Last year that sound drove us mad. We couldn't find what made it. Have heard it this year too. Now we know Thanks Bill.

Bill Fernie
09-Jun-07, 21:18
What part of the country are you in. It appears to be a rareiry in the far north and there is web site collecting details of Grasshopper Warbler sightings - http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=136074

Kenn
09-Jun-07, 22:14
Many thanks for the recording Bill, I was quite amazed as it sounds very similar to the crickets that will be chirring in my garden later in the year.