PDA

View Full Version : breast feeding

itsteven
06-Jun-07, 22:51
hi i was thinking what does people think of breast feeding??do you breast feed your self?? when do you think is the age to stop?? i feed my little girl she is 9 months old i i hope to carry on til she is at least over a year i would like to think what you think of it?? thank you :D

grumpyhippo
06-Jun-07, 23:03
do you breast feed your self??

I've never tried this....... but I think it would give me a sore neck:lol::lol:

mccaugm
07-Jun-07, 00:21
I only managed to breast feed until my children were a couple of months old. I think up to about 18 months is OK. After that it is really not needed IMHO.

emszxr
07-Jun-07, 07:52
i think every mother should at least attempt to breast feed, unless of medical reasons that she can not. i breast fed both my daughters and i loved it. knowing i was giving them the best possible start in life.
as for when to stop. i dont know what age of the child would seem 'wrong' to carry on breast feeding.
we have breasts to feed our babies, not for any other reason. we are the only ones on earth who produce offspring and give them a substitute, other than some farmed and hand reared animals.

porshiepoo
07-Jun-07, 09:35
I bottle fed as both my girls as they had to be intubated for a while after they were born but even if they hadn't had that problem I would have chosen to bottle feed. Each to their own I say!

angela5
07-Jun-07, 09:44
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=18682&highlight=breast+feeding

NLP
07-Jun-07, 10:01
I fed my daughter until she was 16 1/2 months it only took a few days to stop. I had tried to stop before then but she wasn't ready.

squidge
07-Jun-07, 10:04
I breast fed my threeboys and will do so with this baby. I fed babies 1 and 3 til they were 6 or 7 months and baby 2 til he was 3 months - he was sooooooooooooo hungry.

I felt that was the right thing to do for my boys - i was back at work at 6 months old and they were weaned and it was time. I had a great community midwife who was supportive and helpful. I know current thinking is that you shouldnt mix breast and bottle but i did so at times and all the boys had dummies too.

It was a great thing to do but it didnt make me "better" or "cleverer" than any other mother. My sister really struggled and it stressed her out and i was the first to tell her to move to bottle feeding cos it was just upsetting for both her and the baby. Each to their own i say - do what suits you and forget what everyone else says

Maegwynn
07-Jun-07, 10:25
During pregnancy me and my hubby had decided that breastfeeding would be the best thing to do, we bought all the paraphenalia that would help us along (pads,feeding pillow,hand pump ect) and waited for our wee one to be born. What we didnt bet on was instead of a nice natural birth i had to have an emergency c-section and from there things went all to pot! When i awoke i was exhausted and Theoden was already clothed and sleep in his cot. Due to under staffing i didnt get to attempt to breast feed until 9 at night (he was born at 10am). He wasnt interested and didnt become interested until a day later, we kept trying for a week and he would just scream and get frustrated and the lack of staff to help us was terrible. In the end my health visitor recommended using the bottle and he gulped in down in seconds!!
I would of loved to breastfeed but not at the expense of my sons health. Maybe we will have better luck next time!:D

itsteven
07-Jun-07, 10:32
i dont think its wrong to bottle feed i bottle fed my boy he was my first and he just never took to it as for my two girls took right away i fed my second til she was 6 months and like i said before i am still feeding my youngest now i am going back to work but i am still going to feed her at nites as she is on her food now so she dosent take of me as much but for me its the only thing i would do now its easy clean and when we go out i dont have to pack all the bottles it was easy for me thank you for everyone that wrote back :D

Ash
07-Jun-07, 14:30
my wee one was 3months prem so i had to express milk with this god awful looking mechanical pump, eventually it started to hurt, so i had to stop i wish i couldve breast fed her.:~(

ABC
07-Jun-07, 16:36
I breast feed for the first while, then mixed feed, which really helped as baby was VERY hungry. What age "should" they give up a bottle and use a cup?

itsteven
07-Jun-07, 17:05
my girl now is taking from a cup through the day i did put the middle one from breast to bottle and ive swore not to do that again as itwas really hard to get her of the bottle when i do get a chance to go out i make a bottle up for her but she takes from a bottle that looks like a breast so she thinks thats its me thats giving her it, its such a good bottle its soft aswell you would think it was a real boob lol :D

Sandra_B
07-Jun-07, 17:09
I breast fed my first for almost a year and my second for almost two years. I think breast milk is the best start you can give your baby.

itsteven
07-Jun-07, 17:18
your right its the only thing il do when i have more:lol:

macc
07-Jun-07, 17:31
I breast fed all 4 of my boys, the first 2 only for a few months, and the last 2 for around a year. The third one wasn't to keen to stop, but due to circumstances I had to stop, but the last one was ready at a year with no problems. I found that with the last one, I found he was only really feeding at bedtime so it was more of a comforter, so one night I started giving him a feeding cup of warm milk before bed and that was that.
I suppose it is what you and your baby are comfortable with that matters and to hang with anyone else, what you are doing is completely natural, and Well done, as I know it is hard to keep the milk going and to keep up with their demand for as long as you have.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jun-07, 21:26
I breast fed all my children and all of them for different lengths of time.

It is up to each individual to chose whether breast or bottle is right for them and their child and for how long to keep it up.

For me once the teeth were through :eek: that was it. Bottle or starve....:lol:

Dadie
07-Jun-07, 21:57
Lauren is 1 next thursday and i am still feeding her 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night im not sure when i will stop she cut out the other feeds herself really ! i will see how it goes the teeth are not too bad really she only bit when they were coming in ... and only for 1 or 2 days per tooth! i

mums angels
07-Jun-07, 23:32
tried breast feeding 1st for 3 days put her on bottle when blood sugar level dropped and she had to have something , second hurt like hell to feed and had refulx so it was very frustrating for 2 weeks then expressed 4 bottles a day for 8 weeks , third and last bottle fed from day 1 ...all are very healthy wee kiddies no skin complaints, no asthma and are all very well bonded to mummy ....happy mummy , happy baby thats what i say ...each to their own :)

Lolabelle
08-Jun-07, 10:59
I fed my daughter until she was 16 1/2 months it only took a few days to stop. I had tried to stop before then but she wasn't ready.

:lol: Ahh, I thought you meant 16 years for a minute, Wooo, i am glad I got that wrong.

BRIE
08-Jun-07, 11:16
I breastfed all 4 of my children. i fed the eldest till he was 16 mths old & the others till they were around 8 mths.