PDA

View Full Version : How Long?

ashaw1
06-Jun-07, 19:59
We are buying a house for the first time and i just wondered from the date the offer is accepted how long before the date of entry. I thought it was about 3 months but according to the solicitors website it is about 5 weeks. Is this optimistic or should i get saving sharpish?

Billy Boy
06-Jun-07, 20:15
we were 7 weeks from when our offer was accepted, we did have about a 2 week delay due to waiting for a letter of comfort but all in all it was quite quick :D

angela5
06-Jun-07, 20:18
we were 7 weeks from when our offer was accepted, we did have about a 2 week delay due to waiting for a letter of comfort but all in all it was quite quick :D

Awww! who was comforting you billyboy..[lol]
(sorry couldn't resist)

Marty McFly
06-Jun-07, 20:38
The time can be as long or a short as it takes for all the paperwork to be completed, but the date of completion is usually a date agreed between the buyer and the seller....via their solicitors. Often solicitors may suggest the last Friday in the month for completions, rather than picking any random date.

You may find the seller dictates the completion date, as they are possibly moving to another house and already have a set date to move, and so would wish to tie-in both dates. As a first-time buyer you dont yet have this worry!

So, I would get saving sharpish like you say.....just in case! That way if you've money left over, the house-warming party should be great!

ashaw1
06-Jun-07, 20:42
The house is currently empty, it was a reposession.

orkneylass
06-Jun-07, 20:42
I agree with Marty - it is a matter of negotiation with the seller, subject to how quickly the paperwork can be done. Last time we sold we were building and had a rented house lined up. However, our buyers were relocating, and we persuaded them to move into the rented house until our new house was ready - so they bought in June and moved in in November. They had asked for September but were willing to be flexible to seal the deal.

Angela
06-Jun-07, 20:43
Date of entry's usually negotiable between buyer and seller. :)

You can give your preferred entry date, when you make your offer, in fact it can be a condition of your offer.

If the seller accepts your offer, but you have very different timescales in mind, you can usually reach a compromise though.

Six weeks would be an early entry date, imo, it can be much longer, especially if the seller hasn't yet found another another house to buy....but if they already have a moving date in mind, they will probably want you to move in at about the same time, so they avoid a bridging loan.

All the best! :)

Angela
06-Jun-07, 20:48
The house is currently empty, it was a reposession.

Well...in that case, I take that all back ....it shouldn't take long. Unless you gave an entry date in your offer, it should be just a matter of the paperwork.

Have you spoken to your solicitor? :confused

They should have the best idea of how long it will all take.:)

mums angels
06-Jun-07, 21:17
we were just under 6 weeks by 2 days ...:D

Tristan
06-Jun-07, 21:20
I have been told in a push it can take 4 weeks but usually around 5-6 weeks.