PDA

View Full Version : Enter The Haggis

Sporran
06-Jun-07, 19:34
"Enter The Haggis" is a Toronto band that we had the pleasure of seeing in Williamsburg, Virginia, this past Sunday. I was wondering if any of our Canadian friends or other fellow Orgers had seen or heard of them before? Their music encompasses several genres, including Celtic/rock/fusion.

http://www.enterthehaggis.com/index.php?page=Biography (http://www.enterthehaggis.com/index.php?page=Biography)

Their live performance at the "Pints and Pipes" Celtic/Scottish pub was amazing! (Apparently, this pub was a fave haunt of actor Colin Farrell, whilst filming 2005's "The New World" movie in nearby Jamestown!).

Before and after the show, I had a good blether with founding member Craig Downie, who originally hails from Glasgow. Craig plays the bagpipes in the band, as well as tin whistle and harmonica - to name just a few.

If you ever get a chance to see this dynamic band, then "GO"!! You won't regret it! Here's some music samples to whet your appetite....

http://www.amazon.com/Soapbox-Heroes-Enter-Haggis/dp/B000G1R4BG/ref=pd_krex_img/105-9370457-5161235

http://www.amazon.com/Casualties-Retail-Enter-Haggis/dp/B000BH4YN6/ref=pd_krex_img/105-9370457-5161235

Sporran
07-Jun-07, 19:04
Well, I enjoyed ETH so much, that I went to see them twice, over the past few days! :D Hubby came first time, and our sons (who are amateur rock/blues musicians) the other. All were as blown away by the band's musicianship as I was! :cool:

For anyone who is interested, Enter The Haggis will be doing a performance tour of Ireland the first week of March next year.

Sporran
07-Jun-07, 19:45
I'd like to add that I'm now officially a Haggis-Head (and proud of it too!!) :lol:

I went to ETH's official website a few minutes ago, and signed up for their e-mail list. After receiving a confirmation e-mail and clicking on a link within, I then received a second e-mail from them announcing my new status! :cool:

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-07, 13:23
Who'd have thunk it? Sporran, my girlfriend, Shona Mooney, is in Illinois just now playing at the state's Highland Games. Her band were on the same bill as Enter The Haggis yesterday - she said there were tip-top. :)

Sporran
17-Jun-07, 18:24
Wow, it's a small world, isn't it Pepsi?! I'm glad Shona liked Enter The Haggis too! :cool: They are a nice bunch of lads, and being a fiddler herself, she must have appreciated Brian Buchanan's fabulous fiddle playing. I've been listening to Shona's music samples on myspace.com, and am mightily impressed! Actually, I'm listening to "Pale Winter Sunshine" as I write - that is such a beautiful, atmospheric piece, and "Kaleidoscope" is brilliant too! I love all four samples so much, that I'm going to order her "Heartsease" album from Amazon! What an amazing talent she has - that has to be some of the finest fiddle playing I've ever heard! Please let me know if Shona is ever in my neck of the woods. I would definitely go to see her perform! :)

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Jun-07, 20:24
Shona might be in your neck of the woods sooner than you think, Sporran. Her other band, Sirens (www.myspace.com/sirensspace), are due, if all goes according to plan, to sign with a major American label in the Autumn. Canada and the States is where they'll be touring fairly heavily, so no doubt she'll be in your neighbourhood at some point. She's a big talent with a modest, unpretentious attitude. Needless to say, my fiddle playing is coming on better than ever. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments :)

Sporran
18-Jun-07, 19:01
That's great news, Pepsi! :D I think Sirens is a great name for a young female band, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to their music samples as well. Good to hear your fiddle playing is coming on better than ever. No wonder, with such a highly talented teacher! :)

Sporran
26-Jun-07, 07:57
Pepsi, I meant to ask if Sirens already have any albums out yet, in the UK. Their "McCrimmond's Lament" makes for a nice, soothing listen. Lovely vocal harmonies! I'm also very taken with their "Height of Rudeness" instrumental piece.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Jun-07, 17:17
Sporran, methinks Sirens will be changing their name fairly soon. There's about a zillion bands called Sirens, so they're considering a few names, even one I coined for them: Quines.

Albums? Not as yet - I could get a copy of their e.p. to you, though, if you wish? Nashville-based Grammy-award winning producer Don Hart is going to produce their debut album in late Autumn, so an album probably won't come out until summer next year. If all goes well, Warners will be the label. By then, they'll be touring round your neck of the woods, as well, so you'll hopefully get a chance to see them live.

HOR by the way is my favourite instrumental piece of theirs.

p.s. here's a recent publicity piccie of them: http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=2546198746&PhotoAlbumId=4798821918&PhotoId=4798831083

p.p.s you're dead right about the harmonies. Olivia Ross is, in my opinion, the best female vocalist in all of Scotland right now. Hearing her sing a-capella would move you to tears. She's currently a fiddle and singing teacher in Inverness.

Sporran
27-Jun-07, 09:24
Quines would be a good name, I think. (For those unfamiliar with the word, quine is another name for a girl or young woman - just like lass, lassie or lassagie. Quine rhymes with fine, and is most commonly used in the Northeast of Scotland.)

I would certainly be interested in an e.p. thanks, Pepsi, and will send you a PM! :)