PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok

Yok Finney
06-Jun-07, 03:20
Our Gordon Brown lost the sight of an eye in his quest for knowledge. Did he hang upside down from a tree during his postgraduate studies at Havard University? His theories of Economics always strike me as way upside-down now he’s moved across to No 10 Downing Street to govern the Free World.

Homer's Illiad includes the muster of Greek Kings who, named, neatly fit round the Baltic as Viking Chieftans. It was alot warmer then and a Troy still exists in Finland! Robbie the Pict's great theory was that Ulysses hailed from the Isle of Bute (Ithica) on the Firth of Clyde. He certainly knew his Greeks though was not always of them. The First Minister of Scotland always resides at Bute's House at Edinburgh.

So Wotan is an Englishman? It would explain his character as he mooches round the planet, soliloquizing and nipping peoples’ heads, consults his ravens (wifi internet), and surveys his dystopian doings where Scots get that nae-belanging feeling.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/r/ragnarok.html

Fimbul-vetr was invented at Rockall.

Gleber2
06-Jun-07, 14:01
Our Gordon Brown lost the sight of an eye in his quest for knowledge. Did he hang upside down from a tree during his postgraduate studies at Havard University? His theories of Economics always strike me as way upside-down now he’s moved across to No 10 Downing Street to govern the Free World.

Homer's Illiad includes the muster of Greek Kings who, named, neatly fit round the Baltic as Viking Chieftans. It was alot warmer then and a Troy still exists in Finland! Robbie the Pict's great theory was that Ulysses hailed from the Isle of Bute (Ithica) on the Firth of Clyde. He certainly knew his Greeks though was not always of them. The First Minister of Scotland always resides at Bute's House at Edinburgh.

So Wotan is an Englishman? It would explain his character as he mooches round the planet, soliloquizing and nipping peoples’ heads, consults his ravens (wifi internet), and surveys his dystopian doings where Scots get that nae-belanging feeling.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/r/ragnarok.html

Fimbul-vetr was invented at Rockall.

Who do you see in the roll of Loki?

crayola
06-Jun-07, 23:33
Who do you see in the roll of Loki?I look deep into my crystal ball and whom do I see? I see a man on a mission, a shifter of shapes, a giver on guitar. Pray take the role before a lesser man steps in and turns a dream into a nightmare.

Gleber2
07-Jun-07, 01:03
I look deep into my crystal ball and whom do I see? I see a man on a mission, a shifter of shapes, a giver on guitar. Pray take the role before a lesser man steps in and turns a dream into a nightmare.
Tis already mine my dear. The Rainbow bridge is almost rebuilt and the Styxian Ferryman redundant. He has asked to take Loki's place. Should I let him?[evil]

George Brims
07-Jun-07, 03:02
????

Barman, give me a pint of whatever those guys are drinking!

j4bberw0ck
07-Jun-07, 08:25
I think that wolf needs an introduction to:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F1CNT0BCL._AA240_.jpg

She'd get it sorted, no problem. Good hard pull on the choke chain* and "SiiiiiiiT!"

*not an invitation for a discussion about the rights and wrongs of choke chains

canuck
07-Jun-07, 14:37
George, check the link, it makes sense of the jabber.

My first reaction when I read the Ragnarok account was "and the womenfolk stayed home and knit socks."

But what about these characters Lif and Lifthrasir? They apparently were kept safe by sleeping through the great battle. I have some real problems with the philosophy that when the going gets rough the reward will go to the ones who run away and hide. Or maybe it is a sign that when the world begins the final destruction of itself that there will be a sliver saved to start again.

I wonder if the sock knitters were saved too?

j4bberw0ck
07-Jun-07, 16:27
I have some real problems with the philosophy that when the going gets rough the reward will go to the ones who run away and hide

I think there's an argument for that being the natural way of things, however much it grates.

But were it all true - what an anticlimax to know exactly what's going to happen. Might as well switch the light off now.........

[edit]...was driving home thinking about how all these religious tales have similar (in many respects) themes and it struck me that the Christian version of Lif and Lifthrasir may be "the meek shall inherit the earth" - they let the nasties beat the crap out of each other then sneak in and take over :D :D

canuck
07-Jun-07, 19:39
I think there's an argument for that being the natural way of things, however much it grates.

But were it all true - what an anticlimax to know exactly what's going to happen. Might as well switch the light off now.........

[edit]...was driving home thinking about how all these religious tales have similar (in many respects) themes and it struck me that the Christian version of Lif and Lifthrasir may be "the meek shall inherit the earth" - they let the nasties beat the crap out of each other then sneak in and take over :D :D

I suppose that there are two "natural" options here:
1) survival of the fittest, but if all are eliminated in the struggle then
2) survival of the ones secretly protected.

It is just not in my nature to switch off the lights.

Yes there is a huge similarity in many religious tales. Lif and Lifthrasir remind me more of the hiding of the baby Moses in a basket in the bullrushes and the flight of the Holy Family to Egypt to escape the angry Herod. And of course the story of Noah and the Ark comes along side with its theme of the saving of a bit of humanity to start again.

Gleber2
07-Jun-07, 22:49
And of course the story of Noah and the Art comes along side with its theme of the saving of a bit of humanity to start again.

Art that could win the Turner Prize?:D So small, this boat of Noah's, that two elephants, two rhinos and a handfull of others would have filled it up.

j4bberw0ck
07-Jun-07, 22:54
OI!! Gleber! I have these two pet brontosauruses - one male, one female - and I think they should be on the Ark, too. And don't forget this 1000 tons of green stuff they like to eat........:lol:

I wonder how the polar bears are doing? Are they boiling yet?

canuck
07-Jun-07, 23:02
Art that could win the Turner Prize?:D So small, this boat of Noah's, that two elephants, two rhinos and a handfull of others would have filled it up.

Okay, I've edited it! I still have no idea about Gordon Brown and Harvard. I figured that was a UK in joke.

crayola
08-Jun-07, 00:13
Tis already mine my dear. The Rainbow bridge is almost rebuilt and the Styxian Ferryman redundant. He has asked to take Loki's place. Should I let him?[evil]The question is fraught with danger. Your bravery brings a phegmylan lump to my throat. Chrayseola has taught that the Ferryman doth stoke the red fire that protecteth the Bridge ByNorfrost and he hath absorbed loki's omnipotence. To question him is to risk death. Go forth with haste O brave one, give him of your best and report back at dawn.

Yok Finney
08-Jun-07, 02:12
Gods, too, have their day and perhaps also their mad intention to trash their one-time Planet before the final show-down on the great windpark of Caithness. "From all the corners of the world, gods, giants, dwarves, demons and elves will ride towards the Ord of Vigrid." Tourism, don't encourage it!

Wagner's mythical Valhalla is an appalling real place called Dun Deach or Val's Halls or shop till you drop Sunny Dundee on the mighty Tay. The Rhine Maidens girly gang in wet suits are Dundee student dental nurses a la Flosshilda with a stash of gold on the Bell Rock. Old Stevenson put a light there, so mariners you have been warned. Fafner (whom the locals call "Puff") guards my shipbuilding money in the Clydesdale Bank of Australia. "D'ye think ye ken the Hulltoon?" moaned Frica, "No way I'm living here," und so weiter mit Wotan's dysfuncional family now aboded in Freik'sheim in a split level ranch house I expect.

Scotland's billionaires club, SSE, Scottish Power, the Bigbadbus Co., set up their stalls at Scottish Opera's annual jamboree in Embra. Aye, aa Scotland's closet Wagnerians come out o the woodwork. Are there any spare seats?, speared a Chinese quine, so I smuggled her upstairs into the gods where poor folk get to watch the show. A throat virus had wiped out their lead vocals, so a new kid from the badlands of Seattle was flown in to play Wotan. He looked the part and could sing it too. I was impressed. A Glasgow orchestra can never take the Ritt o Wendy's Valkuries entirely seriously so the start was a shambles like the Belgian Grand Prix but then they settle down to get the motor running and their act in gear. 12 hours into it "Wagner shows some glimpses of understanding the Nordic (we take things personally) mentality," noted composer Eduard Greig who happened to be there at the original Bayreuth.

After the conflaguration, a new and idyllic world will arise from the sea and will be filled with abundant supplies, so it will be just like Orkney.

Finbar-Loki Shipping are putting in a tender for the ferries.

crayola
09-Jun-07, 00:12
Do you know why Wagner was so influenced by the chauvinist Schopenhauer?