PDA

View Full Version : Caithness and Highland Sand Yacht Club.

Bertieboy
30-Sep-18, 18:41
Anyone have information on The Caithness and Highland Sand Yachting Club?
Does anyone do sand yacht racing here in Caithness?

davem
01-Oct-18, 19:12
One or two have Blo Karts

TAS
03-Oct-18, 16:53
Bob Levens articles in Caithness.org tells about the C&HSYC that was active in the 60's - 70's with some good pics showing how it was then. A few years ago on Ebay, I picked up a programme for the First Scottish Land Yacht Championships, held at Dunnet, September 16th and 17th 1967, which attracted competitors from as far as France.
In 2004 I designed a sand-yacht specifically for parents to build with their kids in their garage and race together on Dunnet Beach. 8 were built and raced most weekends, mainly in Winter between 2004 and 2007. They were powered by 5m2 ex-windsurfer sails, masts and booms which were pretty slick and kept costs sensible. It all petered out when prevailing winds turned easterly for a few seasons and folk moved away or onto other things. Good craic while it lasted though. Still got mine which I take out from time to time. If you want a mini landyacht that will go in the car then the Blokart is a good machine. If you want to eyeball one locally the Thurso Sea Cadets have two which their Chief (Martin Sutherland) might be happy to show and tell.