PDA

View Full Version : Olympic logo.....

percy toboggan
04-Jun-07, 17:57
What bunch of numpty's took twelve months to come up with this tripe?
It might befit a convention of skateboarders or some celebration of street culture.

It's utterly and totally charmless in my opinion.
I expect some might disagree, if they care at all :confused

Angela
04-Jun-07, 18:39

Maybe I would, percy...but it seems to have completely passed me by...:roll:...so far...

MadPict
04-Jun-07, 19:11
...not forgetting the 400,000 notes it took to design.

It is awful.

The 2012 committee were done.....

Ricco
04-Jun-07, 19:47
What bunch of numpty's took twelve months to come up with this tripe?
It might befit a convention of skateboarders or some celebration of street culture.

It's utterly and totally charmless in my opinion.

Quite agree, Percy. Probably paid some unimaginable sum for it as well. Typical!:roll:

ashaw1
04-Jun-07, 22:02
If they hadn't told me what it was i would never have guessed. My kids could have come up with better and it would only have cost them a bag of sweets.

Jeemag_USA
04-Jun-07, 22:22
The funniest thing about it was they put TM beside it so people know they cannot steal it or replicate it, fat chance of that happening. Had to laugh at Tony Blair's quote on it too (he obviously had not looked at it) ...... [lol]

When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life ... Tony Blair

Yes Tony as soon as I saw it i felt like putting my pumps on and running round the block or jumping a few garden fences in my best Daley Thomson style. What a pratt?

Thats the worst logo for anything I have ever seen, if that was for the Thurso Gala I wouldn't turn up for it :roll:

MadPict
04-Jun-07, 22:29
Wonder how long before it is withdrawn due to causing epileptic fits....

And Ricco - it cost £400,000 - hence my mention of it in post #3

Bobinovich
04-Jun-07, 22:40
It's truly awful - Like Ashaw1 I had no idea what it was supposed to be until I read the article. £400k for that is a travesty.

Give a blind person a blunt pencil and a pack of crayons and they'd still manage to come up with something better [disgust]

Jeemag_USA
04-Jun-07, 22:53
I think we should all have a go at designing the olympic logo, lets see if we can get some orgers to post their designs on here and we wil lobby the olympic committee to get their money back and give it to someone who deserves it. I am off to find my crayons, back later!! [lol]

Tubthumper
04-Jun-07, 22:58
It truly sucks!
I remember us (that is the mass public of the UK) in the past laughing at those foreign johnnies' ridiculous attempts at creating logos for world cups and olympic games etc. Oh dear!
Same as how we laughed at other countries pathetic attempts at the eurovision song contest, running elections, footbridges that don't wobble, getting their national stadiums or new parliament building projects to come in on time and to budget. Oops!
What I'm worried about is our prospects of getting the 2012 olympic facilities done on time and to budget. We'll look a right bunch of diddies if we don't, and bearing in mind our complete lack of ability in just about every field there is, I fear greatly!

karia
04-Jun-07, 23:18
Lets be generous here, what would we have come up with given a red pencil, a white pencil and a life sized sports ' has been' waving their arms about !:roll:

Obviously funds are very limited :) As are imaginations!

Karia

George Brims
04-Jun-07, 23:25
Err, doesn't the Olympics always have a logo - five coloured rings, right?

j4bberw0ck
04-Jun-07, 23:27
True. But according to the people who commissioned it, this is the Olympics - "the brand". You have to wonder, sometimes.....

Jeemag_USA
04-Jun-07, 23:30
Now they did say it is going to evolve (quite frankly it needs to polymorph into something completely different) so it can take on a number of fun guises, here is the olympic logo's impression of the guy from The Office doing a funny dance like a chimpanzee

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/43007000/jpg/_43007281_graham_coe416.jpg

This is more my kind of logo, simple and effective and keeping the them of the rings

http://www.brunopieroni.com/blog/blogimages/bj2008bid.jpg

Tubthumper
04-Jun-07, 23:33
I still don't see it jeemag.
But apparently it's not just a logo, it's a 'state of mind...'
Should we connect this thread to the one about dope peddlers?
Apparently the animated version is a bit more something something...

Jeemag_USA
04-Jun-07, 23:35
Apparently it's not a logo, it's a 'state of mind...'
Should we connect this thread to the one about dope peddlers?
Apparently

You know that 400,000k is going to be spent on coke so they can get to work on their next idea [lol]

Tubthumper
04-Jun-07, 23:38
Who 'nose' what they'll think up next, the little gems...

JAWS
05-Jun-07, 03:38
Have you read the garbage being put out to support it? If you want a giggle then take a look at the claims being made about it by way of explanation (excuses).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6719805.stm
Make sure you are sitting down first in cast you fall over laughing! I love the "We don't do bland!" and that it's about "Engaging youth". How, for heavens sake? And those are some of the less ridiculous explanations, the rest are even more pathetic.

There is even a suggestion that it was inspired by the logo for "Tiswas". (For those too young to remember "Tiswas" was a Saturday morning Children's TV programme from the 1970s) When you see the two logos together it is hard not to believe there is a direct link between the two.

MadPict
05-Jun-07, 10:44
Everyone knows that the Olympics are going to be based in London - so why try to dilute that idea? The image of London was included in the 2012 bid teams logo (the Thames snaking in and out of the word London and numbers 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_2012_Olympic_bid)) so it is a bit late to try and change that impression.

Some of the alternatives are a damn sight better than the one which cost £400k and a year to dream up? A YEAR!!!! - these 'alternatives' were produced in a day! I quite like the one with the Tube map integrated into the logo (the Tube map is a world wide recognised 'icon' of the UK).

But like modern art, you will get those who support this logo trying to justify it with the use of a lot of arty buzzwords...

EDIT

There is a petition to change it.....
http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/change-the-london-2012-logo.html

percy toboggan
05-Jun-07, 17:28
I'm glad it's not just me.
Was there ever a better demonstration of the
EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES ?
Unlike the old fairy tale and the times it depicted todays hoi polloy (you and me) are not afraid to call it what it is. Rubbish.

I heard a graphic design expert on Radio 4 today trying to justify it. He came out with such puerile nonsense I was steaming at the ears, and laughing at the same time.

Angela
05-Jun-07, 17:38
Well -now that I have seen it - deary me! [disgust]

I read today that it's apparently "very edgy, very imaginative"...
"not a passive logo, it is larger than life"...
"powerful, energetic and dynamic" ...
"dynamic, modern and flexible" and it's...

"reflecting a brand-savvy world"....
where it will be a a "proper consumer brand" and a... "great help in getting people excited".

I'm glad it's not just me that fails to "see the brand...and...be inspired to make a positive change in (my) life..."

Bah, humbug! [evil]

horseman
05-Jun-07, 23:03
I wonder what sort of junk some of you detractors would come up with if you were handed £400k to play with? Me, I would have strung it out for a year or so, trousered the readys,an passed the job on to my youngest grand daughter,an she is five,an knowing my lovely jennie,it would have been childs play for her.:) and if anyone thinks that is faceitious it is not.Once again we have been ripped off.:( And I would bet it's not the last time.

Tubthumper
05-Jun-07, 23:19
I say again, I fear for the UK's ability to deliver these games, and that we may be an international laughing-stock. Anyone share my misgivings?

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 23:28
I think we should all have a go at designing the olympic logo, lets see if we can get some orgers to post their designs on here and we wil lobby the olympic committee to get their money back and give it to someone who deserves it. I am off to find my crayons, back later!! [lol]
There were some on the BBC this morning. Work form a 12 year old to adults. ANY of them would have been better than that.

MadPict
05-Jun-07, 23:31

Just caught the end of Newsnight where they review tomorrow's newspaper headlines - seems like The Sun is running a story about the logo triggering epilepsy.......:roll:

Victoria
05-Jun-07, 23:57
It looks like something one of my work experice lads came up with for a project we were doing last year.

JAWS
06-Jun-07, 01:59
The concern about Epilepsy is not because of the actual Logo you will see in the papers or on posters.

It would seem that they have also come up with a cartoon type TV advert and there is a sequence in it where parts of the Logo moves and flashes.
I assume the concern is much the same as when there is a warning that certain films contain flashing images which could bring on Epileptic Fits.

The report I heard was that although the particular advert had only been announced during the previous 24 hours it was already having to be altered to remove the parts causing concern.

Once again, you would have thought that the "professionals" who work in that area of the media would already be aware of such problems and would know to avoid such pitfalls, but obviously not in this case!

Tristan
06-Jun-07, 06:23

I heard the animated logo was removed this morning.

MadPict
06-Jun-07, 07:34
JAWS,
It was the animation of the logo I was referring to. The logo is intended to change every few seconds when displayed on digital billboards so I expect it would also be used in TV ads etc.
I don't suffer from epilepsy but as soon as I viewed the animation I felt it would be a cause for concern amongst sufferers.
From reading the latest BBC it appears it is the diver diving into a pool which had a multi-colour ripple effect which is the problem.
I somehow don't think this will be the end of this terrible fiasco.....

Lolabelle
06-Jun-07, 07:44
http://images.sportinglife.com/07/06/330/LordSebCoe2012Olympics_228417.jpg

But what is it supposed to be??????????:confused

Ricco
06-Jun-07, 08:31
You can sign a petition to get it changed:

laguna2
06-Jun-07, 08:34
They should have had a competition for all school children to design the Olympic logo. That way the children would have felt involved, the designs would probably have been much more relevant - and we would not be left looking like clowns as we do now!

Angela
06-Jun-07, 09:05
I say again, I fear for the UK's ability to deliver these games, and that we may be an international laughing-stock. Anyone share my misgivings?

Sure do! I've a feeling this logo fiasco is only the beginning....

The animation was intended as a plus factor, static logos being too boring and old fashioned apparently. Well, the static version of this is sufficiently headache -inducing for me. Thankfully I've never suffered from epilepsy, but used to get migraines a lot, and can easily imagine an animated version of this being a trigger.

Oh -I've signed the petition, btw, but I doubt if it will make any diffrerence, they won't want to lose face and admit to a huge mistake. :roll:

Bobinovich
06-Jun-07, 10:11
I think the original logo was fine

http://www.scilt.stir.ac.uk/images/London20201220Olympics20logo.jpg

If they'd wanted an animated version I'd have taken the 5 strands of the 'Thames' and made each one imitate an event from the games - one for pool, one for track, one for field, etc. and when done they'd fly back in entwining themselves back around the text in the shape of the Thames.

Maybe that would just be too darned obvious though...

Victoria
06-Jun-07, 10:13
thats a really good idea Bobinovich.

here have 400 grand!! (you wish!)

MadPict
06-Jun-07, 10:45
You can sign a petition to get it changed:

Have you got me on your ignore list?????
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=230377&postcount=20

[lol];)

Victoria
06-Jun-07, 10:58
Hahah....did someone say something? ;)

alfie
06-Jun-07, 11:03
Just wondered what kind of happy juice they were on when they designed that!!!!:roll:

MadPict
06-Jun-07, 11:16
The logo might be an apt one for the shambles that the 2012 games are turning into...

HOW 2012 ESTIMATES HAVE CHANGED
2003: Consultants Arup put total cost of building and staging the Games at £1.796bn
2003: Tessa Jowell launches bid in May telling MPs it will cost £2.375bn - including a 50% contingency
2005: Bid succeeds in July with "prudent" estimate of preparing for games of £2.4bn
2006: Tessa Jowell says Olympic Park costs up to £3.3bn
2007: Olympic Park budget now at £5.3bn - including regeneration and infrastructure
2007: Total budget, including contingency, security and tax, reaches £9.35bn

Ricco
06-Jun-07, 15:44
Have you got me on your ignore list?????
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=230377&postcount=20

[lol];)

Not me, MadPict. Don't use my ignore list - still virginly blank.

Jeemag_USA
07-Jun-07, 16:25
I can't believe the guy who started the petition against the logo scrapped it after it got 48,000 signatures in two days, he said he realised the logo was here to stay and did not want to put the olympics in the UK reputation at risk. Sounds awful like somebody got to him, what a twit, if you are worried about the UK Olympics reputation why did you start the petition in the first place. Talk about brain dead, that petition might have had half a million signatures by now???

At least its being discussed in parliament now, which might result in nothing but its getting some notice.