PDA

View Full Version : RAW Tripe.

golden
04-Jun-07, 09:46
I'm just starting to feed my dog raw food, at the moment he's on pet mince from the butcher ( 25p per lbs ) I'm thinking about adding tripe as I've heard this is very good... Does anyone know where I can buy it ?

I'm know holisticpets sell it, is there anywhere else a bit cheaper. ?

Many thanks

Golden

neepnipper
04-Jun-07, 21:54
We sell frozen raw tripe in Pets at Home, I'll check the price and get back to you.

Tubthumper
04-Jun-07, 23:15
I thought tripe had been banned as a weapon of mass destruction by UN treaty...

buggyracer
04-Jun-07, 23:17
tripe is mainly water and is best used only to bulk up a meal along side another type of meat etc, dogs do love the smell and taste though and will guzzle it down, you best bet for raw food is to go see your local butcher and ask for any off cuts or scraps as they have to pay for this to be disposed of anyway and the fatty meat off cuts are great for conditioning dogs, and they will normally give it away for free or for very little.

Dog-eared
04-Jun-07, 23:22
Used to get tripe from Thurso slaughterhouse many moons ago and boiled it up.
Boy, did it make the dogs fart ! And the whiff would bowl you over !!

jean
04-Jun-07, 23:52
my dogs get a sheeps tripe each..I dont even cut it up I just put them in with the tripe in the dog run..they soon polish them off. and as they are chewy raw its good for the teeth.I give them half a raw chicken each too from time to time and meaty lamb bones or venison bones too. I never give them beef bones as they are too hard. and always the bones are raw so they dont splinter.
ask your butcher he will know where you can get them.

neepnipper
05-Jun-07, 20:24
Frozen raw tripe chunks are £2.99 for a 2kg bag at Pets at Home, also sell frozen raw beef chunks.

golden
06-Jun-07, 14:11
Thanks for all the info ( everyone ) I really apreciate it !

I pretty much do the same as yourself buggyracer, the free off cuts are very good and there's so much of it as well. Dog goes crazy for the bones also.

After trying a few places it turns out that due to health and safety regs tripe is very hard to get hold of, I've decided to give holisticpets a try, read her pricelist ( properly this time ) and it turns out I can get 1kg of tripe for £1.20 or 10kg for £3.75 that's quite a good deal.

Thanks again everyone - neepnipper, thanks for checking PAH prices.

Golden

tripe is mainly water and is best used only to bulk up a meal along side another type of meat etc, dogs do love the smell and taste though and will guzzle it down, you best bet for raw food is to go see your local butcher and ask for any off cuts or scraps as they have to pay for this to be disposed of anyway and the fatty meat off cuts are great for conditioning dogs, and they will normally give it away for free or for very little.

crustyroll
06-Jun-07, 14:14
I know that holistic pet supplies are slightly cheaper than Pets at Home and you usually get a larger pack as well. I would really encourage you to use Isobel in Halkirk as she is self-employed. As well as trying to make a living from selling natural and holistic products for your pets, she is trying to provide a easily obtainable food supply chain for your pets. Pets at Home, while employing local people, are more interested in profit and don't usually stock that much raw food!

You can choose from things such as, tripe, heart, liver, turkey, chicken, rabbit, meaty choice chunks, all minced, as well as chicken carcasses, larger minced packs of tripe, chicken wings, turkey necks. All in all a much larger range of food to feed your dog.

Your butcher won't normally supply tripe and the slaughterhouse are not supposed to sell to the general public although I know you "can" get it.

Buggyracer, tripe is an exellent source of food for your dogs and you don't need to use it as a 'bulking' agent along with other types of meat. Your dog should be getting a varied diet of meats anyway.

buggyracer
06-Jun-07, 14:36
I know that holistic pet supplies are slightly cheaper than Pets at Home and you usually get a larger pack as well. I would really encourage you to use Isobel in Halkirk as she is self-employed. As well as trying to make a living from selling natural and holistic products for your pets, she is trying to provide a easily obtainable food supply chain for your pets. Pets at Home, while employing local people, are more interested in profit and don't usually stock that much raw food!

You can choose from things such as, tripe, heart, liver, turkey, chicken, rabbit, meaty choice chunks, all minced, as well as chicken carcasses, larger minced packs of tripe, chicken wings, turkey necks. All in all a much larger range of food to feed your dog.

Your butcher won't normally supply tripe and the slaughterhouse are not supposed to sell to the general public although I know you "can" get it.

Buggyracer, tripe is an exellent source of food for your dogs and you don't need to use it as a 'bulking' agent along with other types of meat. Your dog should be getting a varied diet of meats anyway.

Not downing tripe but just ensuring the dog wasnt to be only fed only on tripe, i was just warning that tripe alone is not suitable? correct me if im wrong?

lynds67
06-Jun-07, 15:01
Ive been reading up on the raw diet for my 7 month old springer and would really appreciate any comments/views good and bad from others who have tried it.

thanks

buggyracer
06-Jun-07, 15:09
Ive been reading up on the raw diet for my 7 month old springer and would really appreciate any comments/views good and bad from others who have tried it.

thanks

i feed all 3 of mine and it works for me, dogs coat gleams and they all seem to do well on it, and certainly enjoy there food.

Ash
06-Jun-07, 15:29
where in halkirk is she,does she have a number?

very interested

lynds67
06-Jun-07, 15:55
where in halkirk is she,does she have a number?

very interested

i've just had a look here
http://www.holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/ it's got a price list and a great range of stuff.

Ash
06-Jun-07, 16:02
i've just had a look here
http://www.holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/ it's got a price list and a great range of stuff.

thank you for that :D

crustyroll
06-Jun-07, 17:51
Not downing tripe but just ensuring the dog wasnt to be only fed only on tripe, i was just warning that tripe alone is not suitable? correct me if im wrong?

Yes you are correct, just tripe alone isn't an adequate diet. Lots of people mix tripe and biscuits and the dogs are healthy enough on that. What I meant was if you are feeding a raw diet then you don't need to add to tripe if you are giving it as a meal. Tripe should be only one of a many number of different meats when you are feeding raw.

I will never go back to feeding commercial dog food as my dogs have never been healthier and happier. There are links from the Holistic Pet Supplies page to raw feeding sites for anyone that is interested.

rhino
07-Jun-07, 16:49
Pets at Home will order any quantity in for you. It does take a week or so though, because it gets delivered to the store via a second carrier outwith their control. And i dont actually think they make much profit on it as suggested earlier.