PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii

Bobinovich
03-Jun-07, 22:06
Now this is gonna sound like a strange recommendation. I'm not a console addict - much preferring the versatility of PC's, but I've had a chance recently to get to grips with a Wii. I don't own one YET but that's sure gonna change ASAP.

Firstly, unlike most consoles, the Wii doesn't come with a standard controller by default - the controller in question is nicknames a Wiimote. I figure these must have some pretty good sensors in 'cos many of the games rely on the angles you hold/way you move the wiimote. It's also got a socket in the bottom which allows you to plug in a nunchuck - sort of a wiimote extension giving additional control/features such as 2 fisted control when boxing!!!

Now the first games we played (Wii Sports) are great for getting to grips with the wiimote - tenpin bowling, tennis, baseball, boxing & golf. Unlike standard controllers, the best way to play is to use the wiimote as your racket/bat/ball, etc. and to stand like you would if you were playing the game for real. It will soon become apparent why the wiimotes have wrist straps on as you REALLY get into the movement and actions required (I managed to smack a light cluster dangling from the ceiling as I tried an overhead smash in tennis!).

...and this is why I think it beats all other consoles hands down. It gets the player(s) off their rear and moving around - its actually great exercise. The kids loved it, and for once I didn't mind them spending ages on 'cos I saw they were moving around, using dexterity not normally seen in a console, and all the time developing worthwhile hand/eye coordination.

The other games played were the Wii Play compliation of 9 games aimed at 3+ years. These required more precise control of the wiimote than the sports - micro-movements instead of swings, but this in itself is not a bad thing as it develops steadiness of hand as well as co-ordination.

As I've said, it's on my wishlist and can't come fast enough!! Roll on my birthday...:~(

mums angels
04-Jun-07, 16:58
Glad you liked it Bob, you can come round anytime for a shot(mind the light though next time)..until you get your own ;) I love it too and its the first console we've really let the children play because of the exercise factor , you do really work up a sweat with some of the games ...

p.s because you're getting one of the wii's i ithink the wife should get her much wished for DS before HER birthday ...:lol:

Bobinovich
09-Jun-07, 00:35
Well it didn't take long before Mrs Bob ordered a Wii online from Woolies - she's never seen me so taken over anything before now and struck while the iron was hot! It's part Fathers Day present, part Birthday (November!), and I reckon part Christmas too!!!

Anyway, it arrived in the shop today and she nipped off to pick it up. Shortly afterwards a mate came round and we got it all set up. We started playing tennis and after just a couple of games he'd got one reserved by phone at Woolies as they still had a few in stock!!! 15 minutes later he was off to pick it up (he not really impulsive :eek:).

So we now have another convert. I've been playing most of the evening and think it'll take a while for the novelty to wear off this toy :D

Not to say that the DS Lite will be winging it's way shortly for Mrs B!

Jeemag_USA
09-Jun-07, 15:35
Well I am an XBOX fan, and i still am on my old one, I have been waiting a while for the price to drop and more games to come out before getting the 360, but since I have seen some programs and commercials for the Wii I am seriously considering getting one now, it looks like so much fun because you can have group games and jump about the room, I coul dsee them being great fun in a bar. Do they have a fly fishing game, that woudl be fun to watch [lol]

Yoda the flump
09-Jun-07, 18:12
They are fun for a while, but the novelty does wear off.

Bought the youngest one a Wii for christmas. Sold it several months later as he was never playing it and wanted a 360.

mums angels
09-Jun-07, 22:53
i can see that the novelty would wear of for the children quite quickly as some of the games are a little harder to keep control of and the ones they can play...bowling etc they would soon get fed up with. however think adults would love it for ages, especially since i've had it for just over a week and i have lost 3lbs...its great exercise.

EDDIE
13-Jun-07, 17:58
I think its a good idea but i hear people saying the bits on the controller can come of when ure using it and could hit your tv i dont know whether thats true or not

Yoda the flump
13-Jun-07, 22:53
I think its a good idea but i hear people saying the bits on the controller can come of when ure using it and could hit your tv i dont know whether thats true or not

Depends on the straps you have on the controller. The older straps were not as robust as the newer ones and Nintendo did have a free replacement policy. You had/have to go to their website and they would send replacements out gratis.

Having had controllers with both the new and old straps I can testify that there certainly is a difference between the two.

Fluff
14-Jun-07, 20:01
we got a wii about a month ago on impulse and i think it is great.
i like the games that are on offer, they are good fun and not violent like the ps2 xbox etc..

raving rabbids and cooking mama are great fun. the boyfriend loves playing zelda. we go online with it and buy old games like super mario bros too.
defintly worth the money.

bte the games are cheaper on play.com than in the shops