PDA

View Full Version : Wick Gala in Race Row

Old Norse
31-Jul-18, 15:03
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6010865/Lidl-Wayne-reveller-sparks-race-row-blacking-wearing-supermarket-bag-fair.html

A 'blacked-up' reveller wore a supermarket bag and called himself 'Lidl Wayne' at a fair - three years after it was slammed for racism over other costumes.
The Wick Gala in Caithness, Scotland was criticised in 2015 after a group of mates dressed as Golliwogs.
But this year a festival goer was pictured blacked up and wearing a cut out Lidl supermarket bag.
He wore a 'Lidl Wayne' sign - a twist on American rapper Lil Wayne.

The event has been slammed by a former Wick resident who says she was outraged after seeing the pictures on a local website
The woman, who now lives in Edinburgh, said: 'There's a gala every year to raise money for the town.

'People dress up and there is a procession of floats and people walking through the town collecting money.
'The gala happened on Saturday and I've already seen photos of two different people who have blacked up.
'And another two people who have dressed up as if they are from India.
'Aside from the obvious racism and ignorance that has happened here this isn't the first time this has happened.
'There have been several years where people have blacked up but it got particularly bad in 2015 when three people dressed up as Gollys.
'There were several people, including myself, who were outraged by this, as well as the black face that happens a lot of the time.
'I'm just shocked and ashamed that this is happening in the town I grew up in.
'I don't want it to just be accepted and brushed off as a bit of fun, people should know how wrong it is.'
The week-long event is held every year to raise money for the town.
It is the second time the community event has come under fire following an incident in 2015 when pictures surfaced of three youngsters who blacked up as golliwogs
Police launched a probe into the incident after a member of the public raised the alarm over 'inappropriate behaviour' at the gala in 2015.
Participants register to take part in the parade on the Friday night where they also pick up collection tins.
In 2015 committee members said they are not told in advance what participants plan to dress up as.
The woman, who asked to remain anonymous, lived inWick when the race row erupted in 2015 and said she is shocked to see it happening again.
She said: 'The last time people did black up people didn't see it as an issue. They are so ignorant they have just done the same thing again.
'It has shocked me that it's happened again.
'The guy has tried to dress up as Lil Wayne. I think he's either wearing face paint or boot polish to black up his skin and is in a dreadlock wig.
'I think Wick is so lacking in diversity, so there is no one to call them out on it.
'After it happened in 2015 it was said steps would be taken to monitor what people were going to dress up as - but the committee just seems oblivious to it.
'They seem really unwilling to change, they just defend it by saying it's just a bit of fun, but it's a horrible tradition.'
The Wick Gala committee has been contacted for comment.
A Police Scotland spokesman said: 'Officers were in attendance at Wick Gala Day at the weekend.
'No incidents were reported on the day and the event was considered a success for the community.
'As ever we would urge anyone with any concerns to report these to us either in person or by calling 101.'
He added: 'Thorough enquiries into the incident in 2015 were carried out and appropriate advice was given to all involved.'

mi16
31-Jul-18, 18:49
It seems the locals have surpassed themselves once more.
Really casts the county in a great light, inexcusable behaviour.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1531865/highland-gala-facing-racism-row-after-a-blacked-up-reveller-takes-part-in-parade/

ScottishWalrus
31-Jul-18, 18:53
There is so much to be outraged about these days that it's a wonder there are not more heart attacks. It has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Japanese women often have "corrective surgery" to change their oriental eyes to a more western shape are they being culturally insensitive? If a native Scot grows dreadlocks are they changing hairstyle or being insulting. The truth is that we tend to chose what we are outraged about. Was Michael Jackson ever slammed as racist when he bleached his skin? These are all personal choices we probably have opinions on but to force your opinions on other people used to be called bullying. To call in the politically correct police to exert pressure and attempt to control entries for the carnival seems to be flirting with "coercive and controlling behaviour". Unless there is overt racism I wouldn't get upset. :)

Costumes are a caricature and as such an exaggeration, hairstyle being one such exaggeration. If anyone "blacked up" it would wash off in the morning. I can still remember when blackcurrant jelly babies were withdrawn in London. Nope hair styles and skin colour don't really get me bothered. Tanning salons and hair dressers are based on changing what we were given. Women with straight hair want curls and women with curls want straight hair - bless them.;)

Nope what has me outraged is things like the Royal Bank closing it's branch in Wick. It says "Royal Bank" but after the taxpayer bail out I kinda think of it as the "Peoples Bank". That is a verifiable outrage, well documented and will have a negative impact on Wick. If my blood pressure is going to rise then that will do it, or the Riverside Surgery, the Maternity Unit at Caithness General...[evil]

Aaldtimer
31-Jul-18, 20:36
Well said SW, Bravo!

reddevil
31-Jul-18, 22:02
the wick gala was fantastic, great night ,weather was dry,and everyone had a brill time,every year i go to support my town,throw the money in the buckets,laugh and dance,watch everybody go by,men women and kiddies,its been here for years and long may it last,whats not to like,the world has gone mad,the people of caithness enjoy the moment,no harm to anyone,silly little people who nit pick from the happiness and enjoyment of others well crack at it,its there loss,99%of the people at the gala had a fab time,thats what it was all about.enjoy life.

mi16
31-Jul-18, 22:07
If the individual was parading around the streets of any city in the uk blacked up he would be fortunate to survive the evening.
Blacking up is completely unacceptable in today’s world. Like it or not the world has changed and Wick is not exempt no matter how much you try.
You would never see such behaviour in the West of the county.

wavy davy
31-Jul-18, 23:22
Well said, the Walrus.

ecb
01-Aug-18, 18:19
The story is also in "The Scottish Sun",

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3006333/wick-gala-lidl-wayne-blackface/

" ... Pals with him dressed as US President Donald Trump, North Korean despot Kim Jong-un ... " - is dressing as Kim Jong-un considered equally offensive?

A few years ago there was a comedy called "White Chicks" which grossed $113.1 million worldwide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Chicks

in which " ... Two African-American men trying to pass themselves off as very, very, very white women? ... " - is this equally offensive or is this considered ok?

mi16
01-Aug-18, 20:25
I found that movie highly offensive to my eyes as it was utter tosh, it was criticised at the time over race issues if memory serves me correctly, was also close on a decade and a half ago hardly recent history.
The other two gala chaps you mention were no dressed up to mock another race, they were not painted head to toe to change their skin colour.
Hopefully no one files a complaint with the police though as I wouldn’t like to see him prosecuted for a race crime when in all probability he is just an ignorant buffoon with his head stuck in the 1980’s

bigmac
01-Aug-18, 22:44
hi, i would like to join the queue to be offended how long is it now ?

dc1
02-Aug-18, 12:23
bigmac I think the queue is 2 out the thousands that were there

mi16
02-Aug-18, 14:51
One doesn’t need to be offended to recognise that it is wrong in every way

Gronnuck
02-Aug-18, 17:26
Can I be offended.., can I? can I? What about older male actors dressing up as pantomime dames; is that not sexist and possibly offensive to women? I'm sure if we all think hard enough we can find lots of things to be offended by.

bluemafia
02-Aug-18, 17:43
What about picture 113 and the disrespect shown to our fallen forces !!!!!!!

dozy
02-Aug-18, 20:06
All this offence taken at anything is just nuts when the things that we should be offended by ,is the way that Westminster treated the sick , poor , opposed and give two fingers to people's choice . Sober up and grow a back bone .

scorrie
03-Aug-18, 14:29
"Oh come all ye people, come over the Ord, there's a welcome awaiting that you can afford. Oh be you a pauper, or be you a Lord, you will always be welcome in Caithness"

Hypocrisy or what?

The song should come with the following caveats:-

1. No Blacks
2. No Asians
3. No English
4. No incomers
5. No white settlers
6. No Homos
7. No Lezzers
8. No Trannys

OK, that about covers it.

Sorry. I forgot......No Paupers and No Lords either.

Welcome to Wick, the town where it's still 1973.

mi16
03-Aug-18, 18:02
If you are a black Asian mixed race from England in a wheelchair then you are totally Donald ducked

scorrie
03-Aug-18, 21:16
Wick can be whatever it wants to be. Just don't expect tourists or potential investors in the town to appreciate the shallow "We're alright, get it up you if you don't like it" attitude. The potential business and job opportunities will go to more forward thinking towns instead. We need to adapt to modern sensibilities, it doesn't work the other way round. For all that we might think that the world has gone mad, we are a tiny and insignificant backwater that the rest of the UK will regard as shallow, outdated, numpties.

We are pretty much out of pace with the modern world and are making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

"Welcome to Wick, come for the ye olde world Racism and stay for the self satisfied and misguided defence of same"

Still, Willie Ormond has a good squad for next year's World Cup. I reckon we can beat Zaire and go on to win the tournament after dispatching the crew that have never played in football boots before.

mi16
05-Aug-18, 10:17
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1532935/teenager-tells-of-tears-over-blackface-scandal-at-wick-gala-event/

And the story continues, what an embarrassment to the county

Kevin Milkins
05-Aug-18, 10:53
I thank the lord that their is nothing more sinister happening in Wick for folk to trouble themselves with.

mi16
05-Aug-18, 12:31
Would you be saying that if you were black?

mi16
05-Aug-18, 19:03
I hear the KKK were special guests in Wick to close the annual racism festival week.

Goodfellers
06-Aug-18, 08:24
Keep Kaithness Klosed?

scorrie
06-Aug-18, 18:10
I thank the lord that their is nothing more sinister happening in Wick for folk to trouble themselves with.

It's not for you, or anyone else to consider what the LAW is and how it should be administered though Kevin. When you get right down to it you can argue that most of the things the Police spend their time dealing with, could be better spent on more important matters. Yet when it's something that matters to them, people expect the Police to drop everything and deal with THEIR problem.

Just because worse things happen it doesn't give carte blanche to ignore the law on other matters.

Fulmar
06-Aug-18, 18:19
I hear the KKK were special guests in Wick to close the annual racism festival week
It was ONE person, for goodness sake, not the whole town! Yes, that is one too many but as far as I can tell from what I've read, the event was a success and a lot of fun had by many who probably never even saw the guy involved. As for those who did see him, well, we don't know if any had a word and told him that he should not have dressed up like that.
On the previous occasion, those involved were minors who also suffered afterwards (due to the national media attention) for their thoughtless and misguided (but not malicious) 'dressing up' and were made to feel like criminals- and now they've had it all raked up again.

mi16
06-Aug-18, 19:12
When you black up and strut your stuff about the street I guess you can expect it to be cast up now and again can’t you?

scorrie
06-Aug-18, 20:03
Reading the Press And Journal article, I can't agree with Ella Green that the Lidl Wayne reveller would have been funny had the guy been white. It was deeply unfunny.

What would be funny is the same guy going out again next year as Lidl Brain

Young people in general should be careful of what they write on Social Media. It would be unwise to take objection to someone blacking up, when you used to refer to yourself in derogatory language for black people, in previous times.

scorrie
06-Aug-18, 20:05
Minors?

I doubt the "Golliwog Three" were 3.

Kevin Milkins
06-Aug-18, 23:31
It's not for you, or anyone else to consider what the LAW is and how it should be administered though Kevin. When you get right down to it you can argue that most of the things the Police spend their time dealing with, could be better spent on more important matters. Yet when it's something that matters to them, people expect the Police to drop everything and deal with THEIR problem.

Just because worse things happen it doesn't give carte blanche to ignore the law on other matters.

I didn't realise it was against the law to dress up as Lil Wayne.

mi16
07-Aug-18, 04:00
I’m not sure if blacking up is on its own considered against the law, but if someone were to make a complaint about it then I think things we liked at differently as he will have been deemed to have caused a offence and would potentially be up to the fiscal if a crime has been committed or not.

Fulmar
07-Aug-18, 13:30
When you black up and strut your stuff about the street I guess you can expect it to be cast up now and again can’t you?
Of course, I expect when you were a schoolkid, you never, ever did anything of which, as an adult, causes you to cringe when you recall it? No name calling, ever? no minor mean-ness that you knew was mean even as you did it? Didn't realise that I was in the presence of someone so perfect as you!
Actually, the former incident should be done and dusted in my opinion and not cast up over and over again. The kids were upset at the time and sorry about it and were guilty of ignorance, nothing more.

mi16
07-Aug-18, 14:22
I dare say I probably have indeed, but what I didn’t do was to black up then pose for pics with the press.
Mind you blacking up when I was a Bairn was probably considered acceptable, but the world has changed and even my young kids know that it is weird and wrong to do so now.

Fulmar
07-Aug-18, 14:41
Well, I hope that if one of your young kids ever need forgiveness from an adult for some misdemeanor, then that person is a great deal more understanding than you.

dc1
07-Aug-18, 16:44
the world famous sprinter usain bolt who everyone has high regard for how would someone portray him

sids
07-Aug-18, 19:22
the world famous sprinter usain bolt who everyone has high regard for how would someone portray him

Is he the bloke with the lunch box?

mi16
07-Aug-18, 20:14
I’d start with wearing the Jamaican athletics costume, run about a bit and pull the lightning bolt pose

Kevin Milkins
08-Aug-18, 00:41
I think taking on Usain Bolt is race ist.

reddevil
08-Aug-18, 01:30
great comment.

scorrie
08-Aug-18, 12:28
I didn't realise it was against the law to dress up as Lil Wayne.

Rather silly reply there Kevin.

Never mind, anything to avoid actually broaching the real issue. Claim it's all hunky dory and move on while the town looks an outdated backwater where the Duelling Banjos music starts playing, ironically, about hand with Lidl.

scorrie
08-Aug-18, 12:35

Put it this way, if a film were being made of his life and they blacked up a white actor to play the part, do you not think there would be an outcry, not least from Bolt himself?

Why would a white person not want to represent a celebrity of his own colour and leave black people to dress up as black celebrities?

dc1
08-Aug-18, 16:13
what about stars in there eyes

Shaggy
08-Aug-18, 17:03
I remember the Black & White Minstrel Show being shown on BBC way back in the days, it was a highly acclaimed light entertainment programme and was watched by many. What's the bet that if that same show were to be broadcast now there would be uproar from the offended snowflake brigade?

Fulmar
08-Aug-18, 18:05
I remember the Black & White Minstrel Show being shown on BBC way back in the days, it was a highly acclaimed light entertainment programme and was watched by many. What's the bet that if that same show were to be broadcast now there would be uproar from the offended snowflake brigade?
It has been one of the things I've been thinking of while reading this thread, along with certain characters of Enid Blyton and Robinsons jam that were also once considered to be equally ok.
Well, I would be one of the first to be very offended and I'm no snowflake. I was offended back in the day too (while still only very young)- it was horrible then and the first petition against it on the grounds of racism was in 1967 but that didn't stop it completely. I'm amazed it didn't fold until 1978 and glad that it is now regarded with shame. Quite right too. Yes, it's part of cultural history and can't be wiped out but useful to hold up as an example and to hopefully show that most people have moved on (apart from the guy that this thread has been concerned with, that is).

mi16
08-Aug-18, 21:26

There used to be slaves working for little or no reward too.
Blacks used to have to vacate their seats for the white man on request.
Do you want to see a return of that also?

scorrie
08-Aug-18, 21:36

The Black and White Minstrel show was from an era when it was deemed acceptable to call black people "wogs", "darkies" and "nignogs" in light entertainment and comedy shows. Even The Goodies were not so "good" when poking fun at black people setting up businesses in Britain, calling their headquarters Sambo Enterprises and bemoaning the fact that they couldn't return to England from South Africa, because England was now "Full of NigNogs" that Episode was aired in 1975 but will never be broadcast again. Unlike Wick, the BBC tend to learn from their gaffes.

The original Minstrel shows began in the early 19th century, and they were specifically intended to mock black people. In time the sentiment became quite brutal:-

Minstrelsy's racism (and sexism) could be rather vicious. There were comic songs in which blacks were "roasted, fished for, smoked like tobacco, peeled like potatoes, planted in the soil, or dried up and hung as advertisements"

Some Minstrel shows had real black people with the appeal intended to be that you were watching authentic "Coons" but being in pre-abolition days the advertisements would sometimes read akin to this one:-

"SEVEN SLAVES just from Alabama, who are EARNING THEIR FREEDOM by giving concerts under the guidance of their Northern friends"

The Minstrel shows lost popularity during the Civil War and declined but, as said previously, continued in some form or other right up until the late 70's.

From 1880 onwards there was a huge appetite in the USA for what were called "Coon Songs" this continued through to the 1920's. A big hit in the middle of that period was the rather blatant "Coon, Coon, Coon" where the lyrics read thus:-

VERSE 1
I know it's not my color
I'm feelin' mighty blue
I've had a lotta trouble
I'll tell 'em all to you
Now I'm just plain disgusted
Thru life an' that's a fact
Because my hair is wooly
An' because my color's black

CHORUS:
Coon, coon, coon
I wish my color would fade
Coon, coon, coon
I'd like a different shade
Coon, coon, coon
Both morning, night or noon
I'd rather be a white man
Instead of bein' a coon

VERSE 2
My gal she took a notion
Against th colored race
Said, if I'se to wed her
I'd have to change my face
Said, if I'se to wed her
That I'd regret in soon
Now, I'm shook good an' hard
Because I'm a coon

VERSE 3
I had my face enameled
I had my hair made straight
I dressed up like a white man
I certainly didn't look great
I went down t' see her
T'was shortly after dark
On th way t' see my babe
I had t' cross th park

VERSE 4
Just as I was thinkin'
I had things fixed up right
I passed a tree where two loves set
Makin' love that night
They stopped an' looked me over
I saw my finish soon
They both shouted, good and loud
Coon, coon, coon

I know that someone covered the song in 1969, so it didn't quite die in sentiment terms along with the popularity of the genre in 1920. The song "Coon, Coon, Coon" along with "All Coons Look Alike To Me" and "Every Race Has A Flag But The Coon" were identified as being the songs that brought the term "Coon" into the American vocabulary as a derogatory term for black people. Other racist titles were "Mamma's Little Pumpkin Colored Coons", "I Wonder What The Coons Game Is?" and "No Coons Allowed"

The songs may have changed by the 1970's on the BBC but the casual inappropriate name calling did not and it was often in the name of comedy. In my opinion that rubbish belongs back in the 70's at the very least and was probably totally inappropriate then. I reckon if you have one black friend and find that 70s attitude acceptable, then you don't know what crap blacks and Asians had to put up with arriving into Britain at the time. Looking further back and knowing the history of it better, you really should be finding what went on back then abhorrent.

Shockingly the last black person to be lynched was not back in the slavery days. It happened in 1981 in Alabama when Michael Donald was picked out entirely at random because he was the first black man they saw. They strangled him with a rope and then cut his throat three times before leaving him hanging in the tree for the mixed race neighbourhood to see.

Michael Donald was 19 years old.

sids
08-Aug-18, 22:48
The Black and White Minstrel show was from an era when it was deemed acceptable to call black people "wogs", "darkies" and "nignogs" in light entertainment and comedy shows. Even The Goodies were not so "good" when poking fun at black people setting up businesses in Britain, calling their headquarters Sambo Enterprises and bemoaning the fact that they couldn't return to England from South Africa, because England was now "Full of NigNogs" that Episode was aired in 1975 but will never be broadcast again. Unlike Wick, the BBC tend to learn from their gaffes.

The original Minstrel shows began in the early 19th century, and they were specifically intended to mock black people. In time the sentiment became quite brutal:-

Minstrelsy's racism (and sexism) could be rather vicious. There were comic songs in which blacks were "roasted, fished for, smoked like tobacco, peeled like potatoes, planted in the soil, or dried up and hung as advertisements"

Some Minstrel shows had real black people with the appeal intended to be that you were watching authentic "Coons" but being in pre-abolition days the advertisements would sometimes read akin to this one:-

"SEVEN SLAVES just from Alabama, who are EARNING THEIR FREEDOM by giving concerts under the guidance of their Northern friends"

The Minstrel shows lost popularity during the Civil War and declined but, as said previously, continued in some form or other right up until the late 70's.

From 1880 onwards there was a huge appetite in the USA for what were called "Coon Songs" this continued through to the 1920's. A big hit in the middle of that period was the rather blatant "Coon, Coon, Coon" where the lyrics read thus:-

VERSE 1
I know it's not my color
I'm feelin' mighty blue
I've had a lotta trouble
I'll tell 'em all to you
Now I'm just plain disgusted
Thru life an' that's a fact
Because my hair is wooly
An' because my color's black

CHORUS:
Coon, coon, coon
I wish my color would fade
Coon, coon, coon
I'd like a different shade
Coon, coon, coon
Both morning, night or noon
I'd rather be a white man
Instead of bein' a coon

VERSE 2
My gal she took a notion
Against th colored race
Said, if I'se to wed her
I'd have to change my face
Said, if I'se to wed her
That I'd regret in soon
Now, I'm shook good an' hard
Because I'm a coon

VERSE 3
I had my face enameled
I had my hair made straight
I dressed up like a white man
I certainly didn't look great
I went down t' see her
T'was shortly after dark
On th way t' see my babe
I had t' cross th park

VERSE 4
Just as I was thinkin'
I had things fixed up right
I passed a tree where two loves set
Makin' love that night
They stopped an' looked me over
I saw my finish soon
They both shouted, good and loud
Coon, coon, coon

I know that someone covered the song in 1969, so it didn't quite die in sentiment terms along with the popularity of the genre in 1920. The song "Coon, Coon, Coon" along with "All Coons Look Alike To Me" and "Every Race Has A Flag But The Coon" were identified as being the songs that brought the term "Coon" into the American vocabulary as a derogatory term for black people. Other racist titles were "Mamma's Little Pumpkin Colored Coons", "I Wonder What The Coons Game Is?" and "No Coons Allowed"

The songs may have changed by the 1970's on the BBC but the casual inappropriate name calling did not and it was often in the name of comedy. In my opinion that rubbish belongs back in the 70's at the very least and was probably totally inappropriate then. I reckon if you have one black friend and find that 70s attitude acceptable, then you don't know what crap blacks and Asians had to put up with arriving into Britain at the time. Looking further back and knowing the history of it better, you really should be finding what went on back then abhorrent.

Shockingly the last black person to be lynched was not back in the slavery days. It happened in 1981 in Alabama when Michael Donald was picked out entirely at random because he was the first black man they saw. They strangled him with a rope and then cut his throat three times before leaving him hanging in the tree for the mixed race neighbourhood to see.

Michael Donald was 19 years old.

Some of that is almost as bad as the Gala parade.

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-18, 00:51
Rather silly reply there Kevin.

Never mind, anything to avoid actually broaching the real issue. Claim it's all hunky dory and move on while the town looks an outdated backwater where the Duelling Banjos music starts playing, ironically, about hand with Lidl.
It was you brought up the point of "LAW" not me. Sometimes you have to except that people feel differently about different things, in the whole scheme of things that go on in society today I don't believe this issue to be as significant as being made to be.

mi16
09-Aug-18, 09:31
you do have to accept differences of opinion, but there are limits of human decency which make some others views impossible to accept when they are so clearly wrong.

Bystander1
09-Aug-18, 11:00
you do have to accept differences of opinion, but there are limits of human decency which make some others views impossible to accept when they are so clearly wrong.
In your opinion.

mi16
09-Aug-18, 11:36
In your opinion.

for clarity, what is your opinion on blacking up, acceptable behavior or not?

mi16
09-Aug-18, 11:39
some humans find no issue with pedophilia, do we also need to accept their opinions or can we all agree that it is abhorrent?

scorrie
09-Aug-18, 21:35
Some of that is almost as bad as the Gala parade.

It's Social History , what is your point about it?

jockyplunck
10-Aug-18, 17:21
this just a bit of good clean fun and not meant offend any one. in my opinion the racism thing has gone to far. i was caused of rascist remarks in work simply for asking for a black bag instead of a coloured refuse sack. you want to get grip and if you don't like what you see stay away.

Alrock
10-Aug-18, 18:06
...black bag instead of a coloured refuse sack....

Except that black technically isn't a colour, more a lack of colour.

mi16
10-Aug-18, 19:43
this just a bit of good clean fun and not meant offend any one. in my opinion the racism thing has gone to far. i was caused of rascist remarks in work simply for asking for a black bag instead of a coloured refuse sack. you want to get grip and if you don't like what you see stay away.

Not really apples with apples is it?

sids
10-Aug-18, 19:53
i was caused of rascist remarks in work simply for asking for a black bag instead of a coloured refuse sack. .

Not the easiest story to believe.

scorrie
11-Aug-18, 05:10
Except that black technically isn't a colour, more a lack of colour.

Black is actually white and white is every colour there is. We need light to see colours but it is the reflected light we see. The item we are viewing is therefore the opposite colour because that part of the spectrum is absorbed with the rest reflected to the viewer's eye.

In reality, the whole thing is a grey area but don't mention grey, it will only confuse the racists.

scorrie
18-Aug-18, 13:37
RACING FORUM

I am Steve Caution and yet also Scorrie here. The oddly race supporting racist. Go figure eh?

orkneycadian
25-Aug-18, 13:26
I think we should ban the MOBO awards as well.

mi16
26-Aug-18, 13:46
I couldn’t agree more.
Not because of any racial issues
Purely because it is dross of the highest order

jimbews
26-Aug-18, 14:34
Originally Posted by jockyplunck http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=1179365#post1179365)i was caused of rascist remarks in work simply for asking for a black bag instead of a coloured refuse sack. .Not the easiest story to believe.

But at Uni we were told not to refer to blackboards: they are CHALK boards.
But surprisingly no problem when they wanted to change all the chalkboards to WHITEboards!

sids
26-Aug-18, 21:53
But at Uni we were told not to refer to blackboards: they are CHALK boards.
But surprisingly no problem when they wanted to change all the chalkboards to WHITEboards!

Ooh hark at her at university!

Call it a slate and get on with your homework.