PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse internet

corgiman
03-Jun-07, 12:45
Is anyone having problems with eclipse internet provider up here. I am losing my connection so often this last few weeks. I have changed my filters and modem seems ok I phoned eclipse who say there is no problem so I thought I would check if it is just me. I am in Thurso. The last 2 nights I lost connection about 12.30 and nothing until the morning.

ben44
03-Jun-07, 19:06
i got ecilpse in wick run two computers of eclipse and had no problem

corgiman
03-Jun-07, 19:54
Thanks for that, I have had no problem at all so far today and I have been with them for about 3 years no hassle it is just recently.

The Angel Of Death
03-Jun-07, 21:18
Am with them in wick as well and can report no probs for as long as i can remember

concerned resident
04-Jun-07, 09:35
Live Thurso end,have had no problem with connection, but have not been logged on, at your times mentioned.

emb123
04-Jun-07, 09:48
Sounds like it's your phone line - are you running on an extension lead or from an extension socket away from the main socket ?

If it's not inside your house then it could be outside, either BT have been working on the line coming to you or it could be moisture / rust in the connections on the box on the wall outside your property.

In my last place I switched from BT to NTL for 12 years after repeatedly reporting a fault which I could see at a glance (but had confirmed) was due to the box on the wall outside which had rusty connections. They didn't replace it despite multiple requests so they lost my £1,200+ per annum business. (If BT are reading this, take note: don't ignore cutomers!)

Good luck :)

corgiman
04-Jun-07, 10:12
I had Bt out before as the line was terrible and I have real problems hearing on it sometimes and the last time I had that problem the connections at their main boxes were corroded, but this time the engineer said it's your cordless phones at fault and your internet and charged me £50, so I bought new phones changed the filters but not mmuch difference at all but I dont want to get BT back out to be charged another £50

emb123
04-Jun-07, 10:31
Are you still getting poor sound on the line ? If so then try switching to ONE wired phone (preferably a good make) and see if the sound is any better. I find it unlikely that a cordless phone is going to be the cause of the DSL problem unless the base station is located right next to the modem.

Talking of which, have you got the DSL modem located away from sources of interference ? Probably won't make much difference but worth checking.

If you're not using one, it wouldn't hurt to use a router (I prefer wired to wireless) instead of the ADSL modem. The advantage is that the hardware firewall within the router is infinitely superior to anything that it's reasonably possible to do through software, the PC doesn't need to be running a software firewall arguably slowing it down the whole time, the connection is much simpler from the PC networking side of things, plus no driver is needed for the router - and it's faster too. You can usaually pick up a wired router secondhand on eBay for about £7 including postage if you're patient. Value for money wise, I like makes like D-Link, Netgear and Trust (because they're they're cheap but work well and most people ignore them).

BT are a necessary evil entity but unfortunately there is no alternative here.

If you are getting poor sound on the phone line then the modem is going to have a real struggle to establish and maintain a digital data connection.

Geo
04-Jun-07, 12:43
See if you can get a known working broadband modem. Take the front cover off your BT master socket. There is a test socket behind the cover. Use that. It removes extensions on the line etc and only uses the bit that BT is responsible for. If you still have a problem then it is with the BT part of the line. If you don't have a problem then it is extensions/cordless phones etc causing the problem.

corgiman
04-Jun-07, 13:19
cheers all I will try it all and see what happens:D