PDA

View Full Version : One for the mums: Disposables vs Terries

crayola
03-Jun-07, 00:31
Should we use disposable nappies or terries?

Should we pollute our landfills or waste energy in our washers and pump out CO2 from our power stations?

WeeBurd
03-Jun-07, 00:39
Should we use disposable nappies or terries?

Should we pollute our landfills or waste energy in our washers and pump out CO2 form our power stations?

For me, it's not an issue of the environment, it's about the practicalities of day to day living with a young family.

I 100% admire the Mum's and Dad's who have the energy and dedication to use terry nappies, however both of mine are in disposables - I do enough loads of washing per week as it it, I would never have time for the girls if I was scrubbing nappies on top of everything else.

sam
03-Jun-07, 01:00
its not only disposable & terri nappies you get these days you also get real nappies which are being used more & more, these are the links to some of the sites that sell them

http://www.envocare.co.uk/real_nappies.htm

http://www.ehnappies.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

http://www.snugglenaps.co.uk/

crayola
03-Jun-07, 01:31
The problem with real nappies is that you still have to wash them. When my children were in nappies this would have taken up my precious time and used up more energy in my washing machine and created more CO2 and caused more climate change. I suppose I could have hired a nanny to do my dirty work.

sam
03-Jun-07, 01:36
but how long does it take for a disposable nappy to rot in a landfill site? it still causes damage to the ozone layer if you listen to the experts. so which is right & which is wrong? or does it make a difference atall.
I would say that the natural/terri nappies are cheaper, but there again does that come into it.

crayola
03-Jun-07, 01:45
Damage to the ozone layer? How does that happen? Do disposables contain CFCs or what?

sam
03-Jun-07, 02:11
i may be wrong to day it is harmful to the ozone layer, but disposable nappies cause methane gas when decomposing and contributes to global warming

sam
03-Jun-07, 02:21
this is about nappies & the environment

http://www.wen.org.uk/nappies/reports/nappy_briefing.pdf

rockchick
03-Jun-07, 04:26
I'm curious as to why you imposed the "no-men" qualification on this poll. It's rather sexist to insist that men have no comment on changing or caring for an infant - what happened to equality for the sexes???

We used cloth nappies exclusively for my first child, mostly due to economical reasons rather than any desire to save the environment, but when my second came around 18 months later convenience won out and disposables became the norm. I must say disposables are much easier on the skin than cloth.

NickInTheNorth
03-Jun-07, 04:31
real nappies every time for me. far less harm to the environment. much cheaper to use too. One wash load every three days, line dried 'til just damp and 20 minutes in the tumble drier.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to leave their childs nappies lying around for hundreds of years when there is a very ecologically sound alternative.

Have a look at www.totsbots.co.uk for some very good scottish real nappies :)

And yes I know I'm not allowed to vote 'cos I'm a man, but I did anyway :D

NickInTheNorth
03-Jun-07, 04:38
I must say disposables are much easier on the skin than cloth.

Interesting you say that rockchick, we've found just the opposite. My wee boy who is just coming up to 2 years old has been in totsbots since birth. Occassional use of disposables have been the only occassions on which he has had any signs of skin irritation. The real nappies seem to allow the skin to breathe much better than the disposables. Don't know what liners you used, but we use fleece, and that has worked very well for us.

I'm just about to order some newborn sized totsbots for the next one!

WeeBurd
03-Jun-07, 10:21
snip... One wash load every three days, line dried 'til just damp and 20 minutes in the tumble drier...snip

I couldn't have honky nappies waiting for several days to be washed, I'd want them cleaned immediately, or at least at the end of every day, but I accept that may be just me! :D Also, I don't use a tumble drier at all, so again the extra stress of trying to get them washed and dried would have me wound up and stressed - and it would eat into the precious few hours MrBurd & I have to ourselves of an evening (when he's not working). I should add, neither of my two have had irritated botties at any point due to disposables.

Ash
03-Jun-07, 10:35
i used disposables, think i wouldve gone mad with the stress of washing nappies, everyone is different tho, my wee one had no problems with rashes, and the day before her 3rd bday she was fully potty trained! which is ace :D

2051donna
03-Jun-07, 10:46
I used disposables with my 3 yr old Son, im pregnant again + really keen to try 'real' nappies, they look so much comfier, however i dont feel as tho i know how to use these nappies, i wouldnt have the first clue.. I was on Ellashouse + they got some realy lovely nappies.. If anyone wants to teach me im willing to learn lol

NickInTheNorth
03-Jun-07, 11:01
2051donna, my (much) better half is very happy to show you the ropes if you want. She'll send you a PM when I let her on the computer (we're having to share just now 'cos I haven't got the others set up yet since moving).

orkneylass
03-Jun-07, 14:50
My colleague has just gone on maternity leave and one of the things we bought her was a washable nappy made from bamboo fibre which is apparently 4 times as absorbant as cotton. It was the softest thing I've ever felt.

As for the comment about smelly nappies lying around for 3 days - that is what lidded nappy buckets are for - you soak them in sterilising fluid before washing them.

You can always compromise - my collague is planning to use washable nappies except at night or on holiday.

Dadie
03-Jun-07, 15:43
we are using both ... real nappies in the daytime disposables at night and when at the childminders the only trouble we have is that some of her clothes dont allow for the extra padding in the real nappies!

Allsorts
03-Jun-07, 16:11
I used cloth nappies with both my wee ones. I did a nappy wash every three days. They sat in a lidded bucket in the bathroom with no water or anything (dry pailing) and they did NOT stink the house or bathroom out. I found it just as quick to put on a cloth nappy and wrap and put it in the bin in the bathroom as my friends who used disposable.
Takes mins to load the washing maching and leave it to do all the hard work then put them out on the line to dry - or the radiator if it was wet. I had enough that there was no rush to tumble dry them and both my kids were potty trained before they turned 2.
Neither of them ever had nappy rash and even my husband could cope. Its an indivual thing but cloth nappies are not as hard work as people think. The advantage as well is you can sell them on when you have finished and get money back!!!

sam
03-Jun-07, 16:21
i used disposables, think i wouldve gone mad with the stress of washing nappies, everyone is different tho, my wee one had no problems with rashes, and the day before her 3rd bday she was fully potty trained! which is ace :D

what stress is there in washing nappies? surley its no different to putting a load of washing in the washing machine and getting on with whatever else you want to do :confused

Ash
03-Jun-07, 16:28
what stress is there in washing nappies? surley its no different to putting a load of washing in the washing machine and getting on with whatever else you want to do :confused

i had a stressful time after my wee one, she was 3months earlier so was quite happy to use disposables, i think next time round i would try them tho!

2051donna
03-Jun-07, 17:22
2051donna, my (much) better half is very happy to show you the ropes if you want. She'll send you a PM when I let her on the computer (we're having to share just now 'cos I haven't got the others set up yet since moving).

Aw thanks that wud be good, im certainly keen to try them but nobody seems keen to promote them, ie most peope use disposable, if someone showed me id like to make my mind up myself, i email Ellas house + they were helpful with their responce..

obiron
03-Jun-07, 19:14
used disposible with mine know its bad for the enviroment but it was easy to use. i can mind my mum using terries with my brother and it was murder changing him and the smell. yuk.

danc1ngwitch
03-Jun-07, 19:46
i think that the earth could heal hersel givin the chance, its not the nappies that we have to worry about, probably all the big factories and all the hard stuffs.
But then big factories make our disposables.
Gone are the days of bear toshies[lol]

squidge
04-Jun-07, 12:32
Im planning on a mixture of both - we are away a lot so disposables are useful and easy to transport and throw away but when im at home or around the town then it will be real nappies. Twelve years ago when i had my last baby i used disposables exclusively - and with the two before that. However the real nappies look fabulous and im keen to try then.

Mothercare in inverness are haivng a "real nappy information day on wednesday between 1 and 4 i think - phone to check if you need to know for sure - ill be going a long and having a wee look

MadPict
04-Jun-07, 12:47
Have to chuckle at all the 'moans' about not having enough time, no tumble dryer etc etc - what do you think your mothers did (if you're old enough) or grandmothers did (if you're not that old)????

No disposables, no tumble dryers (a wringer if you were well off) and nothing more than a washing line to hang them on.

Families tended to be larger then, so please don't come with the "but I have 2 other youngsters to look after" - the women managed to do it then. And they rarely got a hand from the man - you'd be lucky if he even pushed the pram!!!

<humour>So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables.......</humour>

I'll get my coat....

Jeemag_USA
04-Jun-07, 13:23
Have to chuckle at all the 'moans' about not having enough time, no tumble dryer etc etc - what do you think your mothers did (if you're old enough) or grandmothers did (if you're not that old)????

No disposables, no tumble dryers (a wringer if you were well off) and nothing more than a washing line to hang them on.

Families tended to be larger then, so please don't come with the "but I have 2 other youngsters to look after" - the women managed to do it then. And they rarely got a hand from the man - you'd be lucky if he even pushed the pram!!!

So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables.......

I'll get my coat....

I think if our mothers and grandmothers had disposable nappies they would be using them :lol:

edit...using them on their children of course ;)

Tristan
04-Jun-07, 19:21

So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables.......

I'll get my coat....

Very sexist saying "So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables......."
What is then is then, what is now is now. Society has changed not all for the better. People are working harder and longer than ever.
I have heard the pros and cons for both types, both have an impact on the environment, and as others have pointed out far less than the factories etc that are running all the time.

sam
04-Jun-07, 21:33

I'll get my coat....

Whats wrong with the man rolling up his sleeves getting the steeping bucket out????
Or do you think its beneath you?

canuck
04-Jun-07, 21:33
One issue that has not made it into this discussion is the potential for the spread of disease when disposable diapers are used.

As a cloth diaper mother I still have a stack of dusters that will last me until I decide to give up dusting.

MadPict
04-Jun-07, 22:31
It was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek.
Some of you need to chill.......

Moira
04-Jun-07, 22:48
It was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek. <snip>

Really? Peg on nose - up to the elbows in cold water I hope :lol:

DarkAngel
04-Jun-07, 23:11
I used disposables...More convenient for me personally!

crayola
04-Jun-07, 23:50
I'm curious as to why you imposed the "no-men" qualification on this poll.Because I wanted to know what mums think.

It's rather sexist to insist that men have no comment on changing or caring for an infantSo don't insist on it, I didn't. Read what I wrote above.

crayola
05-Jun-07, 00:01
Very sexist saying "So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables......."
What is then is then, what is now is now. Society has changed not all for the better. People are working harder and longer than ever.
I have heard the pros and cons for both types, both have an impact on the environment, and as others have pointed out far less than the factories etc that are running all the time.I think you jumped to the same conclusions as the rockchick and in your hurry to take charge of a woman's issue you tripped over the same step that wasn't there. Are you two part of a snatch squad for the PC Brigade, Caithness NAESOH Company? :roll:

this is about nappies & the environment

http://www.wen.org.uk/nappies/reports/nappy_briefing.pdfThank you Sam, that was informative.

rockchick
05-Jun-07, 07:12
Because I wanted to know what mums think.

So don't insist on it, I didn't. Read what I wrote above.

It just struck me that it would have been fairer to ask what parents thought, rather than just singling out the mums.

rockchick
05-Jun-07, 07:19
Interesting you say that rockchick, we've found just the opposite. My wee boy who is just coming up to 2 years old has been in totsbots since birth. Occassional use of disposables have been the only occassions on which he has had any signs of skin irritation. The real nappies seem to allow the skin to breathe much better than the disposables. Don't know what liners you used, but we use fleece, and that has worked very well for us.

I'm just about to order some newborn sized totsbots for the next one!

I was speaking from experience with my children, although the laddies who were the subject are now in university! but terry technology has probably improved abit in the last 20 years. We found that the disposables ensured that the urine stayed away from his skin and kept it dry for hours at a time, whereas cloth nappies would have needed changing much more often to get a similar affect. The terry wicked the urine so that it was in contact with much more of his skin, which in a Toronto summer could cause a nasty rash.

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 07:34
I think you jumped to the same conclusions as the rockchick and in your hurry to take charge of a woman's issue you tripped over the same step that wasn't there. Are you two part of a snatch squad for the PC Brigade, Caithness NAESOH Company? :roll:

I don't see taking care of children as a "woman's issue" does that mean I am jumping to the same conclusions? not at all.
I have been happy to watch this thread and made no comment on your initial question or your right to ask it only of women.
I was objecting to the blatant sexism that was in madpict's comments. If it as tongue in cheek as he claims, fair enough but most people would have made that very clear at the time.

MadPict
05-Jun-07, 10:23
Tristan,
It most certainly was. If you don't believe me too bad....
But if it will help you figure out if I am attempting humour I will add tags to any further posts which might contain an element of light heartedness e.g. <tongue-in-cheek> </tongue-in-cheek>or a simpler one might be <humour></humour>.

The fact you accused me of being sexist, when the whole thread was blatantly 'sexist' yet you did not complain about that, is contradictory.

For the record I voted for terries.....

mums angels
05-Jun-07, 11:48
real nappies would be stressfull for me i hate washing and with 3 children in the house including 2 messy boys my washing machine goes no stop and i always have another load waiting ..wouldn't know when i would have a spare load just for nappies as i wouldn't put them in with a normal load..ewww but thats just me :(

plus putting your washing machine and tumble on more isn't energy efficent now is it ? i'd rather save my electric bill and put it to buying disposable nappies i have yet to meet a perent (to my knowledge) at toddlers etc that have used real nappies.

so its disposable's for me and have been for the last 8 years. plenty is going in the landfills that we could prevent but sometimes convenience is always easier. ..oh i use sanitry towles too, much easier than a leaf [lol]

angela5
05-Jun-07, 12:02
oh i use sanitry towles too, much easier than a leaf

[lol] [lol]

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 21:32
Tristan,
It most certainly was. If you don't believe me too bad....
But if it will help you figure out if I am attempting humour I will add tags to any further posts which might contain an element of light heartedness e.g. <tongue-in-cheek> </tongue-in-cheek>or a simpler one might be <humour></humour>.

Joke or not joke, it may be appropriate for you and few mates on the town, it is not the place for a family forum and it not the kind of thing I would want my children reading.

The fact you accused me of being sexist, when the whole thread was blatantly 'sexist' yet you did not complain about that, is contradictory.

I saw nothing wrong with the thread but even it it could be seen as even slightly sexist it was not derogatory as your post was (with or without humour added). Having said that I don't believe the thread is sexist. I see nothing wrong with asking one group or another for their opinion and I believe Crayola has even said it was not limited to women to answer.

I also find your claim that the thread is "blatantly sexist" hard to believe because if you as a moderator actually believed the thread was sexist I think you would have done you job and deleted or moderated it.

Jeemag_USA
05-Jun-07, 21:37
Joke or not joke, it may be appropriate for you and few mates on the town, it is not the place for a family forum and it not the kind of thing I would want my children reading.

I saw nothing wrong with the thread but even it it could be seen as even slightly sexist it was not derogatory as your post was (with or without humour added). Having said that I don't believe the thread is sexist. I see nothing wrong with asking one group or another for their opinion and I believe Crayola has even said it was not limited to women to answer.

I also find your claim that the thread is "blatantly sexist" hard to believe because if you as a moderator actually believed the thread was sexist I think you would have done you job and deleted or moderated it.

If you think thats bad I have been given an infraction point and a warning by a moderator who has not even read the post for the way I described nappies in this thread, funny I didn't hear anyone else complaining about the way I said nappies, thats the way nappies were described to me when I was growing up, people only ever talked about them when there was something deposited in them. SO I get an infraction for being completely inoffensive to anyone, well done org.

connieb19
05-Jun-07, 21:53
If you think thats bad I have been given an infraction point and a warning by a moderator who has not even read the post for the way I described nappies in this thread, funny I didn't hear anyone else complaining about the way I said nappies, thats the way nappies were described to me when I was growing up, people only ever talked about them when there was something deposited in them. SO I get an infraction for being completely inoffensive to anyone, well done org.All said with tongue firmly in cheeks lol

Moira
05-Jun-07, 22:16
Joke or not joke, it may be appropriate for you and few mates on the town, it is not the place for a family forum and it not the kind of thing I would want my children reading... <snip>

Am I missing something here? I ask this question as me, Moira, a longstanding member of this forum and not as a Mod. I don't quite get what was "appropriate for you ...." & "not the place for a family forum...." etc.

I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me - unless it refers to some other posts today, which I've not caught up with yet? If so - my apologies :)

MadPict
05-Jun-07, 22:24
You rolled out the 'sexist' word Tristan.

And is the vote choice "I'm a man and I'm not allowed to vote" not sexist? Was the point not raised, quite rightly, that fathers have as much say in this as mothers? Did you complain about that?

No.

it is not the place for a family forum and it not the kind of thing I would want my children reading.
I don't need to post swear words or inappropriate words like some - jeemag (sorry to use you as an example) mentions his infraction - he used a slang word for the solids which fill a nappy - why not complain about his use of family unfriendly words?

No complaints about the discussion of dope peddlers or the wish of a violent end to a drug pusher "A good candidate for the car crusher driver and all." That OK for your kids to read then? I dare say if I could be bothered I could find an awful lot more topics and language far, far more inappropriate for your children than my remark.

Seems like no complaints about some members posts but plenty about mine eh?

[disgust]

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 22:42
You rolled out the 'sexist' word Tristan.
Yes I did with regards to your derogatory post. You accused the thread of being sexist not me.

And is the vote choice "I'm a man and I'm not allowed to vote" not sexist? Was the point not raised, quite rightly, that fathers have as much say in this as mothers? Did you complain about that?
Already addressed that point in my last post.

I don't need to post swear words or inappropriate words like some - jeemag (sorry to use you as an example) mentions his infraction - he used a slang word for the solids which fill a nappy - why not complain about his use of family unfriendly words?

[disgust]

Since I doubt you will allow me to see the inner workings to view all the deleted posts I can only complain about posts that I see and I think are worth complaining about. I am not on here all the time and do not see all the posts that are deleted from the board.
Since you brought up jeemag's infraction I would rather children see a "word for the solids which fill a nappy" (that you can hear many of them using as you walk down the street) than to have them exposed to the sexist derogatory comment you made you in your post.

Seems you edited your post as I was writing mine.
I don't read all the posts I can only comment on the ones I see but if you feel there are inappropriate items in those posts for a family forum would it not be your job to moderate them?

MadPict
05-Jun-07, 22:58
Jeemag brought up his infraction - and how do you know one of your kids didn't view that post?

"sexist derogatory remark" - derogatory now eh?

[lol]

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 22:58
Am I missing something here? I ask this question as me, Moira, a longstanding member of this forum and not as a Mod. I don't quite get what was "appropriate for you ...." & "not the place for a family forum...." etc.

I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me - unless it refers to some other posts today, which I've not caught up with yet? If so - my apologies :)

http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=230044&postcount=25

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 23:05
Jeemag brought up his infraction - and how do you know one of your kids didn't view that post?
I know he did, but you asked me why I didn't complain about his origoinal post, which I never saw. Having said that I would rather my children see a word like I believe was in his post than
"Have to chuckle at all the 'moans' about not having enough time, no tumble dryer etc etc - what do you think your mothers did (if you're old enough) or grandmothers did (if you're not that old)????

<humour>So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables.......</humour>So women, stop complaining, roll your sleeves up, get the steeping bucket out and stop using disposables......" with or without the edited <humour>

[lol]
If you can't see how expecting that of women is derogatory then I don't know what to say.

MadPict
05-Jun-07, 23:08
I'm sure you will find plenty to say.....

Goodnight.

Jeemag_USA
05-Jun-07, 23:18

[lol]

I didn't complain about your post, just baffled at my own penalty [lol]

canuck
05-Jun-07, 23:23
Could we take a short time out here so that we the confused readers can figure out what is going on? Are we still discussing diapers?

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 23:34
Are we still discussing diapers?
Wrong side of the pond Canuck it's nappies here ....grinhttp://forum.caithness.org/images/smilies/maxx_grin.gif
:D.

Moira
05-Jun-07, 23:39
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=230044&postcount=25

Thanks for replying Tristan - I thought that was the post you were referring to. I still fail to see your point here.

Thanks also for your private message, part of which was "Nothing to do with you". It is to "do with me" - I am a member of this forum. Kinda smacks of bullying tactics, Tristan, but you've picked on the wrong person here :lol:

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 23:55
Thanks for replying Tristan - I thought that was the post you were referring to. I still fail to see your point here.

Thanks also for your private message, part of which was "Nothing to do with you". It is to "do with me" - I am a member of this forum. Kinda smacks of bullying tactics, Tristan, but you've picked on the wrong person here :lol:
I am sorry for the confusion here and I think it is my fault. My pm was based on a misunderstanding of your post, at no time was I trying to stop you commenting or otherwise. I pm'd you because I misunderstood your post and I thought, you thought, I was talking about you and I didn't want to drag the thread though a misunderstanding. I wish you had pm'd me as I did you to clarify the post and avoid further confusion rather than resorting to accusations of bullying. Sorry for any confusion there.

My point is, referring to women (or anyone else in that way) is demeaning, even with the edited <humour>

crayola
06-Jun-07, 00:00
Tristan! Moira is right. You have hijacked my thread to your own end and used it to bully people into accepting your humorless PC view of sexism. I wanted to know what today's mum think about nappies not what your narrow PC view of the world is.

MadPict and Jeemag_USA are almost as bad. It's typical male behaviour when they barge in to women's issues by feigning interest and equality.

Finally, thanks to NickInTheNorth for his quietly stated opinions, also to Sam for opening my eyes to the ecological advantages of modern 'traditional' nappies and to everyone else who gave their opinions without a battering ram.

Tristan, you spoiled it. Please go away and come back when you've learned not to lose your cool in a public discussion.

End of.

Moira
06-Jun-07, 00:43
I am sorry for the confusion here and I think it is my fault. My pm was based on a misunderstanding of your post, at no time was I trying to stop you commenting or otherwise. I pm'd you because I misunderstood your post and I thought, you thought, I was talking about you and I didn't want to drag the thread though a misunderstanding. I wish you had pm'd me as I did you to clarify the post and avoid further confusion rather than resorting to accusations of bullying. Sorry for any confusion there.

My point is, referring to women (or anyone else in that way) is demeaning, even with the edited <humour>

Apology accepted Tristan. Please don't worry about it - you won't stop me from commenting if I choose to do so. I had no wish to pm you, having read your pm to me. I'm not "resorting to accusations of bullying" here - I genuinely believed that is what you intended when I read your PM. It doesn't bother me, personally, but I would be concerned if you do this to other members of the forum here, who may not agree with your point of view.

As for MadPict's "tongue in cheek" comment, I saw him collect his coat & leave the building, so that's ok. Women have been, traditionally, demeaned & ridiculed - doesn't mean to say that any of us here believe that's the way it should be - I don't - so I wouldn't even give it a thought :D

Apologies to Crayola for hi-jacking the thread - and I've not even voted yet!