PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

las123
02-Jun-07, 23:53
Could anyone help??

Does anyone know if you have to pay more for getting 2 wheelie bins emptied?? Ours is just packed every week and wondered what if any the extra cost were?

thanks in advance!:D

mccaugm
03-Jun-07, 02:38
I don't think so, I know if you have 6 or more in your family you are provided with a secondary bin. Doubt that the refuse guys would check that though.

EDDIE
03-Jun-07, 11:52
[QUOTE=las123;229639]Could anyone help??

Does anyone know if you have to pay more for getting 2 wheelie bins emptied?? Ours is just packed every week and wondered what if any the extra cost were?

thanks in advance!:D[/QUOTE
It doesnt cost any more to get them empty you just have to buy the second one yourself before you get a second bin you have to make sure your are recycling all the waste your disposing off its becoming more of a big deal these days and i think its going to become more of issue

Billy Boy
03-Jun-07, 11:59
I don't think so, I know if you have 6 or more in your family you are provided with a secondary bin. Doubt that the refuse guys would check that though.

I think you will find that when you apply for a second bin they will check the council register to see how many are living in the house. I know this for a fact.
Because if not any Tom, Dick & Harry would apply for 2 bins.

The bins will soon be going to a fortnightly collection either this year or the start of next, so maybe it would be best if everyone got into the habit of recycling now to make it easier when the change does come

Moby
03-Jun-07, 12:10
Life would be a lot easier if the council started recycling plastics.

I try to recycle as much as possible and by the end of the week the majority of rubbish in my bin is plastic packaging such as milk and yoghurt cartons, juice bottles and all the plastic wrapping that everything is sold in these days.

corgiman
03-Jun-07, 12:48
and boxes, the blue box is only for newspapers and junk mail and tins why not cereal boxes etc.:roll:

Moby
03-Jun-07, 12:55
Cardboard can be recycled at the recycling depots but plastic is classed as general household waste - there is absolutely no way that we would be able to last a fortnight on one collection of general waste.

ashaw1
03-Jun-07, 14:11
We recycle as much as possible, i collect the jars/bottles and take them to the bottle bank. All the cardboard packaging goes to the recycling depot i too have a major plastic problem. There are 6 of us in the house and most of my rubbish is milk cartons and fizzy juice/squash bottles. We would qualify for another bin but to be honest i don't really know if i want one. Even though i do all this recycling i don't think i would be able to wait 2 weeks between collections. Maybe if they would consider plastic recycling.

engiebenjy
04-Jun-07, 00:50
I know it's a short term thing, but if you live in / near Thurso, then Miller academy are looking for 2litre plastic juice bottles to build a greenhouse.

Froggie
04-Jun-07, 23:20
I would consider recycling more of my household waste but us poor neglected peoples that live in the back of beyond have got miles sometimes to travel to deposit some of our thingys as we haven't got the luxury of a plastic bucket things to sit in our sheds or whatever and get picked up by the nice peoples in their nice yellow refuse collections wagon thing.
For some folkies its no bother to drop stuff off in the boxes provided in many car parks but there are a few elderly peoples in the area and even some younger ones that do not have their own transport and find it quite difficult to get to the recycling points with their recyclables. It would be nice to get recycling boxes from the council sometime before they decide to do their collections on a fortnightly basis, but for some strange reason I dont think I will hold my breath. But it does make me wonder, what do we really pay our council tax for? The price keeps on going up and the services get less and less!!!:mad:

ks
05-Jun-07, 08:25
The bins will soon be going to a fortnightly collection either this year or the start of next, so maybe it would be best if everyone got into the habit of recycling now to make it easier when the change does come

Is the definately happening in Caithness? I think I should recycle more but when I phoned the council re recycling tins they said I had to rinse them out and I don't want to rinse out catfood tins in my kitchen sink and I don't have an outside tap. Also the blue bins Thurso have been provided with will only hold your papers, no room for anything else.

lynne duncan
05-Jun-07, 23:07
billy boy
where did you get your info about the bin collections going to fortnightly, hubby works wae them and this is news to him

mccaugm
06-Jun-07, 09:42
I think you will find that when you apply for a second bin they will check the council register to see how many are living in the house. I know this for a fact.
Because if not any Tom, Dick & Harry would apply for 2 bins.

If thats the case they better start organising the ability to recycle plastic as thats the main thing we throw away. As standard I recycle paper & glass. Feel we should have a box like everyone else does to put them in so we can take them to the recylce point.

NickInTheNorth
06-Jun-07, 09:52
Is the definately happening in Caithness? I think I should recycle more but when I phoned the council re recycling tins they said I had to rinse them out and I don't want to rinse out catfood tins in my kitchen sink and I don't have an outside tap. Also the blue bins Thurso have been provided with will only hold your papers, no room for anything else.

get a life!

What is rinsing out a cat food tin going to do to your sink?

justine
06-Jun-07, 11:59

I know that you have to have more than 8 people living in one house to qualify for 2 bins. We have 10 in our house and have the two. We only need to be able to get hold of recycling bins. We have none and are having a row with the council over them.We were given none when we moved in as they say there were already some him given to previous tenant.. As it is we recycle our bins into the recycle bins near lidl as best we can...

ks
06-Jun-07, 17:37
get a life!

What is rinsing out a cat food tin going to do to your sink?

I have one already thanks.

We go through about 6 tins of cat food a day and don't want to be rinsing them in the kitchen as cat food stinks. As I previously said our blue recycling box will only hold the papers no room for anything else especially not 40ish tins!

Billy Boy
06-Jun-07, 18:23
billy boy
where did you get your info about the bin collections going to fortnightly, hubby works wae them and this is news to him

Is your hubby no doing fortnightly bin's now lol:confused

angela5
06-Jun-07, 18:37
I know that you have to have more than 8 people living in one house to qualify for 2 bins.

You qualify for a 2nd bin if there is 6 or more people living in one house.

dirdyweeker
06-Jun-07, 23:06
I have one already thanks.

We go through about 6 tins of cat food a day and don't want to be rinsing them in the kitchen as cat food stinks. As I previously said our blue recycling box will only hold the papers no room for anything else especially not 40ish tins!
if your blue box is full of papers you can bag your tins beside the box and they will get picked up.

ks
06-Jun-07, 23:10
if your blue box is full of papers you can bag your tins beside the box and they will get picked up.

Thanks - didn't realise they would pick up stuff not in the box, thought you would have to book it in like you do with your extra bin bags, having said that I wouldn't have anywhere to keep 2 weeks worth of tins!