PDA

View Full Version : Public (in)conveniences

poppett
07-Jul-18, 12:29
Please be aware public loos in Brora are being locked in the evenings just now.

Found out when we stopped there last night. Luckily had a radar key to gain access and made sure premises were secure when I left.

Both sides were locked up.

Alrock
07-Jul-18, 13:45
Yet they are quick enough to fine people for urinating in the street.

Maybe you should have left the place unlocked as a public service.

poppett
08-Jul-18, 11:41
I did ponder if leaving it open would be my good deed for the day, but it is a condition of having the key that you lock up securely after use. At Daviot toilets they solved the problem of people leaving the disabled facilities open out of hours by putting iron railings and giant padlocks on the outer door so nobody could get in. The A9 southbound at Kessock Bridge has been shuttered for months.....just picking them off one at a time and hope we don`t notice perhaps?

mi16
08-Jul-18, 12:18
I did ponder if leaving it open would be my good deed for the day, but it is a condition of having the key that you lock up securely after use. At Daviot toilets they solved the problem of people leaving the disabled facilities open out of hours by putting iron railings and giant padlocks on the outer door so nobody could get in. The A9 southbound at Kessock Bridge has been shuttered for months.....just picking them off one at a time and hope we don`t notice perhaps?

Any police station can be used as a public toilet.
Can sometimes be a challenge to find an open police station too

maggie
09-Jul-18, 12:18
Urban myth
You might have heard the strange claim that if someone knocks on your door in Scotland and needs to use the toilet, you are bound by law to let them enter.
This was even voted the UK's "fifth most ridiculous law" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568475/Ten-stupidest-laws-are-named.html) in 2008, according to the Telegraph.
However, this has been debunked (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17610820) by the Law Commission, which says it "cannot find evidence that it was on the statute book".
The law experts say the myth may have grown around local custom and point to Scottish people's "strong sense of hospitality".

Phew!!

poppett
19-Jul-18, 11:35
To add insult to injury the Highland Council are installing "pay to pee" machines. 50p admission, no change given.

I don`t object to paying if facilities are clean and there is running hot water, but some of the facilities are not fit for purpose, Helmsdale being a great example of a facelifted exterior and victorian interior.

pig whisperer
19-Jul-18, 14:38
plenty of money for gaelic on road signs & police cars etc

mi16
19-Jul-18, 18:41
Advantage of being male
The world is my urinal

Alrock
19-Jul-18, 19:14
Advantage of being male
The world is my urinal

They have the technology... http://www.shewee.com/

Goodfellers
20-Jul-18, 10:41
You could just order a new Toyota with this factory fit option. Wouldn't take many 50p pee stops to pay for it.
https://adobochronicles.com/2016/09/24/2017-toyota-model-will-include-toilet-car-seat/

alistair harper
20-Jul-18, 15:51
should try burntisland in fife they run out of water to flush the loos and go in with buckets of water and have the cheek to charge 30p

mi16
21-Jul-18, 11:12
I wouldn’t worry if they could flush my Richard 3rd away, just as long as I could deposit it
Mind you I wouldn’t be keen on dropping it upon someone else’s waste

mi16
21-Jul-18, 11:14
Imagine the mess if you roofed it

ScottishWalrus
01-Aug-18, 08:05
In France they have the "pissoir" which is basically a screened urinal. I vividly remember using one in Paris, watching traffic drive by but screened from shoulders down. It is such a simple structure - cheap, sturdy with nothing to vandalise. When I worked in the NHS it was well known that George Square provided a steady stream of patients (no pun intended) who were caught short at the weekend waiting for the bus and hopped over a nearby wall - only to face a 12 foot drop. A pissoir in George Square would save the NHS money and a lot of broken limbs!

Think the problem was that 3 sheets to the wind late at night you don't look before you leap.

Bogbrush
01-Aug-18, 11:43
Think the problem was that 3 sheets to the wind late at night you don't look before you leap.

What - the loo paper was there but the bog wasn't?

Bystander1
01-Aug-18, 19:29
Is George Square in Week or Thursa ?.. I don't think I have seen it ?