PDA

View Full Version : Question about photo of Thurso Gala Queen float.

ecb
01-Jul-18, 19:00
Below is a picture of a Thurso Gala Queen float which I scanned from an old photograph - can anyone tell me which year this photograph was taken, please?

mi16
01-Jul-18, 19:39
So un PC this whole thing, should be a gala person in today’s non gender specific world

orkneycadian
01-Jul-18, 20:41
Looking at it forensically.....

The vehicle has a C prefix registration. That ran from August 1985 to July 1986.

The vehicle in question is a Transit pickup, white, and owned by a contractor. The doors are not hanging off it, and there are no rust spots in the usual places. In the case of a Transit, that means anywhere, but specifically the door corners and the wheels. The number plate is pristine, and there are still complete tail lights on it - Something of a rarity on Caithness pickups.

The person out on their own is gazing intently at their fingernails - Not a mobile phone. On that subject, Wick still had 4 digit phone numbers.

Permed hair seems to be the order of the day.

On grounds of all the above, I would hazard a guess at 1986 or possibly 1987.

mi16
02-Jul-18, 16:40
speaking of non gender specific, that is a magnificent looking tranny indeed

Rigsby
05-Jul-18, 23:06
speaking of non gender specific, that is a magnificent looking tranny indeed
Is it Boy George.... The Tranny I mean?

mi16
06-Jul-18, 09:31
You must be looking at the queen (not Freddy Mercury) bear in mind it was the 80’s

ecb
06-Jul-18, 18:00
Looking at it forensically.....

The vehicle has a C prefix registration. That ran from August 1985 to July 1986.

The vehicle in question is a Transit pickup, white, and owned by a contractor. The doors are not hanging off it, and there are no rust spots in the usual places. In the case of a Transit, that means anywhere, but specifically the door corners and the wheels. The number plate is pristine, and there are still complete tail lights on it - Something of a rarity on Caithness pickups.

The person out on their own is gazing intently at their fingernails - Not a mobile phone. On that subject, Wick still had 4 digit phone numbers.

Permed hair seems to be the order of the day.

On grounds of all the above, I would hazard a guess at 1986 or possibly 1987.

Thank you for that, 1986 or 1987 seem likely dates. I had thought someone would have known the people in the picture and that would have led to the date, but your reasoning seems to work.