PDA

View Full Version : Sea birds

George Brims
14-Jun-05, 17:36
A colleague was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at the pictures of the Wick to Lybster boat trip, and asked me what the black and white birds are that are in a lot of the pictures. My mind went blank. Is there an ornithologist in the house?

Drutt
14-Jun-05, 17:40
Where are the photos you were looking at?

htwood
14-Jun-05, 18:02
How about a guillemot?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/g/guillemot/index.asp

George Brims
14-Jun-05, 18:08
On today's front page

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/coast/photogallery/thumbs.htm?0?1

And Helen got it, they're guillemots.

mareng
14-Jun-05, 18:28
They will be guillemots, but years ago - I saw one on Thurso beach and thought it was a penguin! :roll:

Joey
14-Jun-05, 19:12
Must say it looked a pretty good trip to make! I bet very few people in Caithness knows what lurks below the cliffs in their own county. Really must be worth a trip.

Kenn
14-Jun-05, 19:34
SHUSH...don't let on what's lurking along the coasts of Caithness!
Been keeping it a secret for years in the hope that no one would notice and that I would not get trampled by hoards of visitors when I 'm watching my favourite puffin colony.
Any one know if they are breeding been hearing dire stories about the lack of food and the late summer causing an ecological disaster any information on local colonies would be much appreciated.

jacktar
14-Jun-05, 22:47
SHUSH...don't let on what's lurking along the coasts of Caithness!
Been keeping it a secret for years in the hope that no one would notice and that I would not get trampled by hoards of visitors when I 'm watching my favourite puffin colony.
Any one know if they are breeding been hearing dire stories about the lack of food and the late summer causing an ecological disaster any information on local colonies would be much appreciated

plenty puffins up at the stacks,and all the other sea birds.[/quote]

Joey
15-Jun-05, 16:35
Does anyone know if you need to book a trip on Freedom Charters or is it a case of turning up at a specific time?