PDA

View Full Version : New Premier Inn

Goodfellers
12-Jun-18, 11:56
Just had a look at the plans for the proposed new Premier Inn for Thurso, didn't realise it was going to be so big.

I wonder if it will attract new visitors to Thurso or just take existing custom (and staff) and give the profit to Whitbread instead of local hotels/b & b's

veekay
12-Jun-18, 12:57
Lets have a little think. Oh yes, small hotels and B&B's lose staff, custom, profits, close. Whitbread profits grow. End of story!

scoobyc
12-Jun-18, 20:33
Any word on an accompanying restaurant and bar in the plans? I haven't heard anything mentioned but I've never seen a premier inn without one yet.

sids
12-Jun-18, 20:49
Oh yes, small hotels and B&B's lose staff, custom,...!

Unless they successfully compete on price and service?

Assuming someone tells them what service is.

mi16
12-Jun-18, 21:57
Just had a look at the plans for the proposed new Premier Inn for Thurso, didn't realise it was going to be so big.

I wonder if it will attract new visitors to Thurso or just take existing custom (and staff) and give the profit to Whitbread instead of local hotels/b & b's

Do you think anyone has ever visited anywhere based on the place having a premier inn???
No me neither

Alrock
12-Jun-18, 22:20
Do you think anyone has ever visited anywhere based on the place having a premier inn???
No me neither

There's bound to be at least one nutter out there with a mission to visit every Premier Inn.

orkneycadian
13-Jun-18, 22:48
Money wouldn't be getting invested if there weren't a market for it. And all the extra jobs will be good for all the folk that say they cannot work because there are no jobs for them.

mi16
14-Jun-18, 00:00
How many long term positions will be created by a budget hotel?

nevergiveup
14-Jun-18, 11:06
We have stayed at many Premier inns/Travel lodges on our journey north and they offer excellent value for money.....If you dont know an area very well and unsure about the local hotels etc with the premier Inns you know what you are getting.....
If given permission Im certain this Inn will do very well as it might encourage visitors to stay who would otherwise pass through.

Fulmar
14-Jun-18, 13:57
There has been a shortage of 'visitor beds' lately so surely this is a good thing and great to have new jobs created.
I agree, we stay in Premier Inns as well and you do get a good service and a comfortable room etc with very helpful staff.

Kevin Milkins
14-Jun-18, 16:19
I have stayed in the one on Gatwick airport North a few times and they would be my default setting for any trip away that needed a stop over.

orkneycadian
14-Jun-18, 20:02
How many long term positions will be created by a budget hotel?

At a wild guess;

At least 6 x FTE for reception to cover days, nights, evenings and holidays / sickness
At least 10 x FTE for servicing
0.5 x FTE for maintenance

Plus support contracts - Grounds maintenance and the likes

Not including any associated pub / eatery.

Shaggy
15-Jun-18, 10:47
Like most big businesses these days they'll all likely be part-time positions except for the management. Only way to keep costs low and profits fat
y'know

Kodiak
15-Jun-18, 14:03

If these are the plans then there is someting wrong. The plans shows three stories for the Hotel, yet is is reported that the Hotel is planned for four Stories. Here is the Quote from the John O'Groats Journal :-

"The four-storey, 81-bedroom hotel will be situated on the former auction mart site at Ormlie Road."

Goodfellers
15-Jun-18, 20:13
https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/caseDetails.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=P8XJ6QIHL1E00

Link to the documents section of Highland council if anyone want to read about what is proposed and see any objections

pat
15-Jun-18, 23:18
The part towards the college is that where they intent to put the filling station once hotel and restaurant up and running. Restaurant is on railway side but up college end of proposed building - if I am reading plans correctly.

theone
16-Jun-18, 06:47
If these are the plans then there is someting wrong. The plans shows three stories for the Hotel, yet is is reported that the Hotel is planned for four Stories. Here is the Quote from the John O'Groats Journal :-

"The four-storey, 81-bedroom hotel will be situated on the former auction mart site at Ormlie Road."

It wouldn't be the first time the local paper is wrong.

mi16
16-Jun-18, 08:30
dont see any mention of a filling station in the plans, its not really the MO of a premier inn

pat
17-Jun-18, 09:57
mi16
Agree with you it is not the normal for Premier Inn and I was surprised to read it somewhere on the plans - cannot seem to find it now but will check it out again later. Did read and check all the planning info and that was where I am sure I picked it up and was quite surprised.

dragonfly
17-Jun-18, 11:08
mi16
Agree with you it is not the normal for Premier Inn and I was surprised to read it somewhere on the plans - cannot seem to find it now but will check it out again later. Did read and check all the planning info and that was where I am sure I picked it up and was quite surprised.

The petrol station was in the History section of the site planning permissions, so related to one of the earlier applications, its not in the Premier Inn’s planning application that I can see

mi16
17-Jun-18, 11:56
If it’s not in the drawings then it ain’t in the plan

Goodfellers
04-Oct-18, 09:48
Just seen the proposed carpet design for the new Premier Inn34110

mi16
07-Oct-18, 22:26
after half a dozen pints most carpets look like that

Goodfellers
21-Nov-18, 15:57
Application to be heard on 27th Nov. Officers recommendation to grant pp https://www.highland.gov.uk/download/meetings/id/74546/item_75_-_applicant_pentland_property_limited_and_premier_i nn_hotels_limited_1802298ful_pln07418

Rigsby
23-Nov-18, 19:57

Never believe what you read in the paper! 😂