PDA

View Full Version : Live 8

jay
14-Jun-05, 10:19
Did anyone up here manage to get tickets for the Hyde Park concert?

I notice that they are selling for a small fortune on ebay - surely given the circumstances of the concert and the fact that the tickets are free, ebay should have refused these auctions.

Dali
14-Jun-05, 11:34
Well the resale of charity tickets is not illegal in the uk so they are not braking any laws . Also they are giving a donation of the fees made from the sale to live8.

jay
14-Jun-05, 12:10
it may not be illegal but would suggest it is immoral to make money out of this situation - ebay may be making a donation to the fund but what about the people selling the tickets - they are just lining their own pockets on the back of world poverty

Donnie
14-Jun-05, 12:30
Did anyone up here manage to get tickets for the Hyde Park concert?

I notice that they are selling for a small fortune on ebay - surely given the circumstances of the concert and the fact that the tickets are free, ebay should have refused these auctions.

I read that ebay will take action against anyone selling live8 tickets but they still need people to report the items to them.

Dali
14-Jun-05, 12:54
Well the concert is not for charity as live8 will not be asking for money during the concert. The tickets were given away the concert is for support for a march on the G8 meeting.

Donnie
14-Jun-05, 12:57
Well the concert is not for charity as live8 will not be asking for money during the concert. The tickets were given away the concert is for support for a march on the G8 meeting.

The text msgs people sent in to enter the draw cost £1.50 each. They expected over 1 million entries. These tickets were not given away.

Dali
14-Jun-05, 13:43
Ahhh i am sorry the tickets cost £1.50 then .
Your point i am not sure about .
The money off the texts was used to put the concert on as it is not free to set up a concert you know .

Donnie
14-Jun-05, 15:31
Ahhh i am sorry the tickets cost £1.50 then .
Your point i am not sure about .
The money off the texts was used to put the concert on as it is not free to set up a concert you know .

1,000,000 texts at £1.50 each is not the same as £1.50 a ticket.

Drutt
14-Jun-05, 15:53
Are we debating semantics here? Hey, I thought that was my job! ;)

Anyway, I agree with jay's point that these tickets should not be allowed to be sold on ebay, but it seems that the people behind ebay have changed their tune and will allow the sales to go ahead (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4090774.stm). Apparently, ebay has offered to "make a donation" to the Live8 organisers.

I don't care if ebay is claiming that the ticket sales are legal, I think the sellers and ebay are acting immorally. I see that people are putting in extortionate bids to wreck the sales. If ebay would just ban the sale of these tickets, such action wouldn't be necessary.

Dali
14-Jun-05, 15:54
well it was more like 2 million if you check. But to the people who got the tickets it cost them £1.50 .So the tickets cost £1.50.

Donnie
14-Jun-05, 16:46
well it was more like 2 million if you check. But to the people who got the tickets it cost them £1.50 .So the tickets cost £1.50.

Yes but they made just as much money (if not more) as they would have done from selling the tickets for £40 a piece.

jay
14-Jun-05, 21:14
morality prevails - ebay have pulled the plug on sales of live8 tickets - maybe only people who genuinely intend to attend the Edinburgh concert will now apply.

So did anyone one up here get tickets at all?