PDA

View Full Version : Petition asking for free music tuition for school children.

ecb
31-May-18, 11:35
There is a petition about free music tuition for school children on the Scottish Parliaament website.

"Calling on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to change the law to ensure that musical instrument tuition is available as of right to all children attending state schools in Scotland who wish it, free of charge. ":

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01694

mi16
01-Jun-18, 08:52
Would you be happy to pay more income tax to cover the “free” tuition?

ecb
01-Jun-18, 10:49
Would you be happy to pay more income tax to cover the “free” tuition?

I doubt if it would ammount to more than a few pennies extra per month for each taxpayer (I am a taxpayer), so I would be prepared to do that.

Shaggy
01-Jun-18, 12:51
The biggest problem for this is lack of music teachers and a severe lack of instruments. It has always been this way, even when i was at school many years ago

maggie
01-Jun-18, 20:43
One of the better ideas to come before the Scottish Parliament
https://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-playing-an-instrument-benefits-your-brain-anita-collins

crayola
01-Jun-18, 23:20
Free lessons in witchcraft would benefit the country more.

Spirit
02-Jun-18, 00:36

Never underestimate the magical power of music.

crayola
02-Jun-18, 00:46
Indeed. And never underestimate how dangerous uncontrolled music can be when performing experimental spells.

orkneycadian
04-Jun-18, 22:10

And having school leavers who could actually read, write and count would be fantastic. Alas, that seems to be something of a rarity these days.

mi16
05-Jun-18, 11:19
Indeed, and somewhat more useful skill to learn than mashing a keyboard with your elbows
Things like music (and religious education) tuition I see as a nice to have and if desired should be funded privately outside of the curriculum

Bogbrush
05-Jun-18, 16:02
And having school leavers who could actually read, write and count would be fantastic.

Well, if they'd had halfway decent music lessons then their reading and counting abilities would be enhanced.

mi16
06-Jun-18, 11:05
not as much as if they spent the extra time in maths and English class

crayola
07-Jun-18, 23:43
Witchcraft teaches them to rite and spell. :cool:

orkneycadian
10-Jun-18, 15:10
And of course, cook.